PDA

View Full Version : Sanding disk on lathe?

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 8:20 AM
The lathe I just bought (1950's Delta) not only has the 1 x 8 threaded shaft on the inside (for spindles and bowl under 12") but also has a 1 x 8 threaded shaft on the outside. From what I understand, this is for turning bowls larger than 12".

Two things: Anyone use this for a sanding disk? If so, where do you get one? Or did you just make one with a 6" or 8" faceplate and plywood?

Secondly, since the threads are reversed on this shaft, is that considered a left hand thread (and the inside one a right hand thread)?

I would like to have that shaft set up with a 12" sanding disk with 80 grit on it for rough shaping.

Thanks for your input!

John Keeton
04-22-2010, 8:34 AM
Sure would make a nice place for a buffing system!! Just a thought.

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 9:19 AM
Yeah, I thought of that, too. I might end up doing it... But I am replacing the 1/3 hp motor that came with the lathe with a 1 hp (or bigger) and I was thinking of using the 1/3 hp (dual shaft) for a buffing system. Not sure if it would be strong enough, though. Maybe that extra threaded shaft on the lathe will have to be multipurpose...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Mike,

Buffing really doesn't require a lot of horsepower. The 1/3 hp motor might be the cat's meow for that.

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks, Ken. I have so many options...I don't know what to do!!!!!!!

Well, I just got off the phone with Delta. This is what I found out. The lathe is indeed a 1460, made in July of 1947! In my Amazon.com shopping cart, I already have a laundry list of things I'm getting for this baby, including a spur center/live center set, 5" 4 jaw wood chuck, 6" faceplate, grinding wheels and dresser, and a chisel set. I have my eye on a small faceplate on Ebay, and also a motor. Delta says I can get a 6" right/left thread faceplate from them (for the outboard shaft) for $71.19...a little more than I would like to spend. So, I'll keep my eye out for that. Also, while the lathe came with the 12" tool rest, the previous owner didn't have the 4" tool rest that originally came with the lathe...67 years ago. So, I can get the 4" tool rest from them for 33.50. Not sure if I really need it, if I'll try to get it on Ebay, or if I'll get it from Delta.

Ugh, this is sucking all the energy right out of me!

Michael Mills
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
One thing you might try. Use a faceplate or tapped block to fit the spindle and turn a backing for the sanding disc. I don’t know what size your toolrest post is (mine is 1").
Turn a post and attach a small table to the top. Now you can use your banjo and the support table to sand from the inboard side. I made my sanding disc 12" and tapped a maple block (to fit the spindle) and glued to the disc.
This assumes you wont be turning and sanding at the same time, or, or... :D turn a tenon to fit your chuck, glued to the disc, and use it instead of a faceplate or tapped block. Wish I had thought of that sooner. No need to remove the chuck to go to sanding mode.
Mike

David Hostetler
04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Not the same lathe, but a Jet JWL1236 clone here. I use a faceplate / 8" birch ply disk for a sanding disk. One less machine to gobble up precious floor space in my shop...

John Keeton
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks, Ken. I have so many options...I don't know what to do!!!!!!! ....Ugh, this is sucking all the energy right out of me!Mike, apparently all of your concerns can be easily resolved by simply throwing all of your available monetary resources at this project!! At least, that is how I resolve similar conflicts on my end!:D:D

Leo Van Der Loo
04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
The lathe I just bought (1950's Delta) not only has the 1 x 8 threaded shaft on the inside (for spindles and bowl under 12") but also has a 1 x 8 threaded shaft on the outside. From what I understand, this is for turning bowls larger than 12".

Two things: Anyone use this for a sanding disk? If so, where do you get one? Or did you just make one with a 6" or 8" faceplate and plywood?

Secondly, since the threads are reversed on this shaft, is that considered a left hand thread (and the inside one a right hand thread)?

I would like to have that shaft set up with a 12" sanding disk with 80 grit on it for rough shaping.

Thanks for your input!

Mike Oneway sells faceplates and chucks that have both left and righ-thand thread in them, they come in 3,4,6,8 inch sizes and carbon or stainless steel.
The 3" size in carbon steel is $46.95 at their site, the ordering # 2391-327cr
HTH :)

Michael Mills
04-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Continuation of prior post…
Or... glue up solid ¾" board (oak? maple?), mount between centers, and turn a recess rather than a tenon. For the glued up boards I would use biscuits or a spine joint for added strength. Mount, turn to diameter, face up the front if necessary, sand, and apply finish for easy replacement of disc later.
Plenty of strength for expansion of the chuck as long a joint does not go through the recess.
Mike

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
It's already happening...:o

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Great idea, Michael. Question for you... If I tap out a recess to screw it onto the inside shaft, how do I then transfer it to the outside shaft...it has opposite threads? Not a smarta$$ remark...I'm just trying to picture it...

Stephan Larson
04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Mike,

Really nothing to add to all of the wisdom posted already, just wondered if you hear the sucking sound behind you as yet :D. John sure has it right about throwing money at the solution. Just take out your wallet and place it at the alter (your lathe) and know the rest of us got sucked in as well and are smiling the whole time we spend at our alters. :D

Steve

Michael Mills
04-22-2010, 1:28 PM
Hi Mike,
I really have no idea. I used a Beal spindle tap, I don't know if they make a left hand or not. My idea was for using the inboard side so that I would have a table to rest the item on, comes in real handy for flat work also unless you have a big disc sander in your shop. I'm not able to turn something if I am using the lathe to sand but that is not a problem for me. Maybe someone else will know.

You may want to try www.right-tool.com (http://www.right-tool.com)
They carry an 8" faceplate D1088 and the insert is D1108 (1" X 8 tpi LH)
I bought a faceplate and insert from them for my lathe and it seems like it was around $23 for the set. Maybe not the highest quality but it runs true with no wobble and meets my needs.
Mike

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 1:41 PM
Thanks, Mike. Actually, yes, I already have a 12" sander in my shop. Homemade from an extra 1.5 hp motor I had. Works great, but I hate changing blades, attachements and things so much, I'd rather figure out a way to have two 12" sanders...each one with a different grit.

That is how/why I ended up with two band saws...one with a 1/4" blade for curves and one with a 1/2" blade for resawing.

As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of selling my Grizzly 12" disk/6" belt sander to make room for the lathe. So, if I can add a disk sander semi-permanently, I won't lose out on a disk sander. However, I will still be missing losing the belt sander...

Jeff Willard
04-22-2010, 3:14 PM
Mike,
Get a Packard Woodworks, and a Craft Supplies USA catalog. There are a ton of new accessories and gizmos out there that work very well with antique lathes:D.

What slippery slope:eek:?

Leo Van Der Loo
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Great idea, Michael. Question for you... If I tap out a recess to screw it onto the inside shaft, how do I then transfer it to the outside shaft...it has opposite threads? Not a smarta$$ remark...I'm just trying to picture it...

Mike the faceplates I linked to, can be used on the inboard side and outboard side as well, they have the two threads in the same disk, so you only need one, and you could turn a disk inboard and then mount it outboard :)

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Ahhhhhhhh, that explains a lot, thanks! I may have to look into that...actually, I think I'll do it right now!