PDA

View Full Version : Need French horn suggestions...

scott spencer
04-22-2010, 6:39 AM
We have a budding French horn player who’s ending her 2nd year, is doing very well, practices regularly, enjoys playing, was selected for the all county band, and appears as though she’s going to stick with this. We think it may be time to purchase a horn as opposed to renting one. Preferably something suitable through HS, but even an intermediate step would be acceptable. I think she’s currently using a single horn by Conn.

We need brand/model suggestions that won’t break the bank. I understand that a double horn is the way to go, and that the Yamaha and Holton horns are desirable (among others)...they’re also fairly expensive. What we’re looking for are suggestions for those brands and models that represent the most bang for the buck that might be picked up used in the $350-$500 range, that are still good functioning horns and that are a worthwhile purchases…basically hoping to avoid the pitfalls of buying junk. Used is likely where the better values are. I see all kinds of brands and no name horns…what’s good and what’s not?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

Mitchell Andrus
04-22-2010, 7:49 AM
We have a budding French horn player who’s ending her 2nd year, is doing very well, practices regularly, enjoys playing, was selected for the all county band, and appears as though she’s going to stick with this. We think it may be time to purchase a horn as opposed to renting one. Preferably something suitable through HS, but even an intermediate step would be acceptable. I think she’s currently using a single horn by Conn.

We need brand/model suggestions that won’t break the bank. I understand that a double horn is the way to go, and that the Yamaha and Holton horns are desirable (among others)...they’re also fairly expensive. What we’re looking for are suggestions for those brands and models that represent the most bang for the buck that might be picked up used in the $350-$500 range, that are still good functioning horns and that are a worthwhile purchases…basically hoping to avoid the pitfalls of buying junk. Used is likely where the better values are. I see all kinds of brands and no name horns…what’s good and what’s not?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

In Woodbridge, NJ.... Dillon's. Stop looking anywhere else.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/

http://www.dillonmusic.com/HeleoCart/ProductCategory/Used+French+Horns%2825%29.aspx

I had 2 brass players in the house and Dillon's is the only place to go.

scott spencer
04-22-2010, 3:33 PM
Thanks Mitchell - I did check out Dillon's website. We're going to mull over a few options and see if the right deal comes along. I'll try to update as we make progress.

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 4:11 PM
Scott,

When I first saw your thread my answer was going to be "don't get one". However, after reading your post I just wanted to say congratulations on having a talented child. As a person who as a child had little talent, but great desire, I applaud your desire to provide the best instrument you can. I think if I had received a little more encouragement on the home front I would have been a better pianist. (proably not, but I can dream)

Good Luck!

John Schreiber
04-22-2010, 4:30 PM
When my daughter was in a similar position, we investigated multiple sources on-line and some possibilities through the newspaper. Finally we ended up buying through the local music store. The cost was higher, but we just weren't qualified to evaluate the instrument, both in terms of wear and tear and initial quality.

It also felt good to support a local business which supported the local music scene and was a part of the community.

Said instrument has been stored under a bed for three years now as my daughter didn't continue playing in college. We figure if her younger sister wants to take it up, it will be there, otherwise it will go up for sale.

scott spencer
04-22-2010, 5:23 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. She's really doing great with this, as she does most things she does. We're not in a position to drop $2k on a horn at this porint, but if we can buy the right horn at the right price, it should hold it's value well, so hopefully persistence and patience will pay off...though I'm better at the perstistent part! :rolleyes:

Mitchell Andrus
04-22-2010, 6:31 PM
Make sure she plays prospective horns with her teacher present if possible. Most dealers will send horns for short trial periods, you pay shipping. There is NOTHING worse than trying to master a tool that fights you. Some instruments are great for students, some are not. Even a pro-level horn can be wrong for a kid. I know... I learned to play saxophone and clarinet at 40, when the kids were struggling with t-pet and t-bone. The better the tool (not always more expensive), the better the outcome. It'd be a shame to have her drop out just because of a miss-matched horn.

All 4 of us were taking lessons at the same time... it was almost like making a mortgage payment every month for 2 years. Worth EVERY penny.

French horn isn't easy, I tried it.... and the bassoon. Now THAT instrument can smell fear across the room.

scott spencer
04-28-2010, 7:34 PM
Well, to close out this post, we bought an older Conn 6D made in Elkhart, Indiana around 1950 for $600. It was owned and played by a music teacher and was in very nice condition. She's happy!