PDA

View Full Version : Crown Bowl Gouge

Robert Grady
11-15-2004, 6:29 PM
I found a site on the web that has the Crown Ellsworth signature 1/2" bowl gouge on sale for $51.00, regular price $85.00. I am new to turning and was wondering is this a good tool at a good price. LOML told to to get it if I wanted. Thanks

George Tokarev
11-15-2004, 6:48 PM
SHE says it's OK and you are asking US?

Buy it. Good metal.

Robert Grady
11-15-2004, 6:56 PM
Thanks George..just finished ordering it

John Shuk
11-15-2004, 7:35 PM
That is a nice tool and a great price. Sharpening can be a little tricky. If you have a wolverine system there is an add-on for sharpening this gouge or there are also plans to be found on the web.

Lloyd Frisbee
11-15-2004, 7:57 PM
So, you're not going to tell us where we can get the same deal? :confused:

Kent Cori
11-16-2004, 10:12 AM
Robert,

I have the same gouge and really like it. I think I paid about $70 for mine so you certainly are getting a good deal.

Careful sharpening with a Wolverine or Ellsworth jig is the key to successfully using this gouge. Maybe there is someone out there who can hand sharpen it accurately, but it sure isn't me. The few bucks spent for one of these jigs is an investment that reaps rewards every time you use it.

Robert Grady
11-16-2004, 6:20 PM
OOps, soory about that guys here is the link to "The Woodworkers Shop". The sale is until November 21. Thanks for all the input guys.
www.woodworkersshop.com/Crown_Turning_Tools_Bowl_Gouges.htm

Carl Eyman
11-16-2004, 6:33 PM
I've been turning some finials lately. (I'm trying to get one good enough to show Dave Anderson, NH) I have very little (read none) skill with a skew; so today I was using my Sorby spindle tool. What do they call it? Anyway it is a bar with a half round cross section and a fingernail grind. I began to get some results with it, of course, after a few minutes it caught and walked all over the work; so I ended up using my spindle gouge with the somewhat rough endgrain. When that Sorby was working, though, it was leaving a glossy finish. What is the opinion of you experts? Practice with it until I get it, learn to use the skew, or use the gouge and sandpaper?

Harry Pye
11-16-2004, 6:52 PM
Take some lessons. If you started playing golf you would get the same advise. Let someone who understands turning get you on the right track before you develop bad habits. The dollars you spend on lessons will be more than offset by the reduced frustration. I think they list the instructors on the American Woodturners Association web site. If not give me a PM and I'll try to find some names for you.