PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever made poker chips?

Robert gree
04-22-2010, 1:31 AM
Wondering if anyone here has ever made poker chips.

Van Huskey
04-22-2010, 2:30 AM
I have seen a lot of really cool poker tables but never poker chips. Given the number needed seems like a lot of work but could be a neat project.

Mark Major
04-22-2010, 6:43 AM
Hmmm, I certainly know how to lose them, but make them...sorry, no experience in that. :rolleyes:

Regards, Mark

Matt Day
04-22-2010, 8:24 AM
+1 to Mark's comment

I've never made them, but I would think you'd turn a dowel then cut slices off to make simple ones. You can get as detailed as you want I suppose. Keep us posted on what you do.

Gary Herrmann
04-22-2010, 8:44 AM
Don't turn a dowel. The slices will be endgrain. If you want them to last make them as small facegrain turnings. Essentially, you'd be turning a bunch of small platters. Ask on the turning forum, and you may find someone who's done this.

Or use a hole saw and a drill press to cut out circles and then sand the edges.

Or use a trim router and a small trammel arm.

Any way you do it, lots of repetitions.

Brendan Plavis
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Don't turn a dowel. The slices will be endgrain. If you want them to last make them as small facegrain turnings. Essentially, you'd be turning a bunch of small platters. Ask on the turning forum, and you may find someone who's done this.

Or use a hole saw and a drill press to cut out circles and then sand the edges.

Or use a trim router and a small trammel arm.

Any way you do it, lots of repetitions.

I second this approach. Except, make sure you use a hole saw that doesnt have a pilot bit.... you dont want holy chips....

John Coloccia
04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
They're typically made out of "clay" (actually a mixture of stuff), and the process can be pretty involved and expensive. For example, those markings along the side, that look like little blobs of ink, are actually inlayed if I remember right.

Did you have a design in mind? I would probably turn a dowel with face grain on the ends, then slice them by hand or with a scroll saw....or a band saw with a really really thin kerf. Then I'd arrange them on a sled and pass them through my drum sander for final thicknessing.

I haven't made poker chips, but I was just thinking back to how I've made little wheels.

Mark Patoka
04-22-2010, 11:46 AM
The clay chips have a certain weight and heft to them that you might have a hard time replicating with most woods, if you want to be authentic. I've seen "wooden nickels" type things handed out as promotional items that are really light but may be similar to what you want.

Paul Atkins
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Checkers are made endgrain, so if you had a nice piece of maple I'd think you'd be ok with endgrain if you were careful when throwing down the chips when you lost.

Bill Whig
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Maybe it makes more sense to make a "dealer button" instead, or a poker chip case, or a poker table, or a box to hold your winnings! : ) Good luck!

Bill

Zach England
04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I have been considering making backgammon pieces and a backgammon board.