PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen Toolworks Hand Tool Event Tampa!!!

Rick Markham
04-21-2010, 9:57 PM
Friday and Saturday... I am super excited! I can't wait to go! (sure wish I had more money to spend :rolleyes:) Anyone planning on going? I hope they don't kick me out for fondling all the tools and asking WAY too many questions!!! I am also hoping to get to meet Ron Brese there too. Ya still gonna be there Ron? Now I just need to remember to leave the credit cards home... hmmm that might be difficult. :D

Jim Koepke
04-21-2010, 10:36 PM
I hope they don't kick me out for fondling all the tools and asking WAY too many questions!!!

Are you kidding, that is the kind of thing that might get you a job offer.
Be nice to have a job and get paid in planes.

jim

Rick Markham
04-21-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm afraid I would really be in trouble then Jim! They already have caught a lifetime customer... Pretty sure I would end up being an indentured servant at that point. Though it doesn't sound like a half bad idea ;)

Rick Erickson
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Not going to the one in Tampa but sure won't miss the one in Atlanta in May. I've got family in Tampa - maybe that is a good excuse to drive down :D

Rick Markham
04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Whatever it takes Rick! Haha. I'd be interested in meeting you too, hows the tool cabinet coming? I unfortunately haven't had a whole lot of time to work on anything fun, too busy setting up dust collection, and waiting on my friend who's an electrician to come run a 220 line for my new bandsaw. Good thing my handtools don't require that, now I just need to get all of this extraneous stuff off my bench so I can work on something a lil more enjoyable. My tiny workspace works really well for what I am doing, but it really only affords space for one project at a time, and right now, I have 3 going on LOL

Andrew Gibson
04-21-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm going to do My best to make it. I remember hearing about it at the Tampa Woodworkers club meeting last week but forgot about it until now. I don't have any cash to drop but it will sure be nice to actually get my hands on the tools I always drool over in catalogues and the Internet.

I have an Independence DT saw, and if the rest of there tools are as much of a pleasure I will be kicking myself that I don't have any money to float.

I'm going to try to get there Friday around 2ish I think.

Rick Erickson
04-21-2010, 11:22 PM
hows the tool cabinet coming?

Slow but steady. I don't get a lot of shop time at night after work. I'm a little ahead of the post with what I've done. I'll try to get some more pictures up this weekend. I've changed my design a bit after seeing a few more cabinets out there.

Rick Markham
04-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Andrew, I live in Lakeland so will be making my appearance on Saturday, hopefully I can keep the girlfriend interested (she's very supportive of my addiction... err... woodworking) so hopefully I can stay the whole day. I have a couple of their planes, and love everything about them, I have had an amazing experience with their customer service too and that makes a huge difference in my book. I too am going to wish I could take one of everything home, but unfortunately that's not realistic for me. I'm hoping to come home with one thing (gonna be hard to choose) and of course a whole lot of knowledge if nothing else, which I will be more than content with.

Rick, I am really looking forward to seeing how it turns out, I have wall space reserved for a similar cabinet, and I am really interested to see your take on it. I have a few projects ahead of that one planned but it is at the top of the list... Then comes the fun part... filling it LOL

Andrew Gibson
04-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Depending on what happens I may try to get there on Saturday. My Fiance works both days, so I might sneak down there depending on what else is going on.

Tom Henderson2
04-22-2010, 12:39 AM
You'll have a blast.

I attended the events here in California the last couple of years, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not only are all the LN tools out where you can try them out, but the other exhibitors are often quite interesting too.

Looking at the LN site, it looks like Ron Brese (Brese planes) and Bob Z (Czeck edge) will be there too. I'll warn you now -- if you touch one of the Brese planes you'll be spoiled for life. So be warned and Beware; those custom planes are addicting.

As you are probably aware, they will have some stock if you want to buy on the spot; or they will take your order and ship from Maine, which saves you the sales tax (if any) and in addition they won't charge for shipping.

We are all conditioned from an early edge not to play with the merchandise we see in stores, so it takes a while to get over that and touch and play with all the tools.

The event is particularly good for getting some instruction/explanation on some of the tools you may not be completely familiar with; the folks there will be delighted to give you as much (or as little) instruction as you like.

Deneb usually puts on some really good demos; everything from bench plane usage to toothed blade usage to hand-cut tenons.

Have fun!

-Tom in Ventura