PDA

View Full Version : Loss of Laser Intensity...need help/advice

Tyler Phong
04-21-2010, 9:30 PM
Hello, I'm new the forum. I work at a cemetery/mortuary in california. I normally do prints and DVDs there however just recently got assigned to make lot blocks and urn engravings.
Lot blocks (for grave location purposes) - i use stainless steel plates with cermark
Urn Engravings - I currently engrave Wood, Marble, and Ceramic Urns.

We use a Epilog Legend 36EXT 75watts laser CO2
I am very new to this and basically had to take a crash course in learning this through searching this forum as no one at work knows how to use this. (the guy who did use this before was laid off)
Anyway, after learning the basics of this i was able to engrave decent enough with no problems. When engraving the lot block i engraved at 80speed and 100power at 600dpi. all i engrave on those are numbers in each corner. I follow instructions i found on this forum: cleaned the plates with laquer thinner, let dry, wipe clean, apply a thin coat of cermark with brush (i plan to have them order me an airbrush), let dry, laser. I know that most people say to use a slow speed like 20 or so. But the guy before me used 80s as i did and they came out fine. washed off, scrubbed with scotchbrite and it the mark stayed.

With the Marble Urn, i lasered at 10speed and 100 power and the engraving was deep enough to feel it with my fingers and enough to fill in the engraved letters with paint.

Just a few weeks ago, i had the laser serviced as it was over a year since the last one. He aligned it with the target and cleaned the lenses. then he tested it out on laserable metal (kinda like the rowmark plastic) and it the lettering showed. I thought all was good.
I haven't used it in about a couple weeks but when i used it this week, i noticed i had to slow my speed a lot just to make the cermark stick and when i did the urn at my regular 10s 100p it marked but it was so light there was no real indention to where i could fill with paint.

I usually do 56 lot blocks at a time (filling up the entire 36x24) and before it took me about just 1 hour to complete. When i did it this time around after it was serviced, i had to go at 25s 100p and took me 3 hours to complete. I had 291 blocks to do this week and it took me 3 days to complete.
At first i thought it was the cermark but after the light engraving with the marble urn it seems to be the laser intensity is not there as it was before.

Does anyone know what it could be? any advice is most appreciated. I know above was a long read but i wanted to make sure to include most of the details so you knew what i was talking about.

thanks in advance.

Mike Mackenzie
04-21-2010, 9:37 PM
Alignment !! it sounds to coincidental that shortly after they did the alignment that you started having issues. You should also check your optics.

Tyler Phong
04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Alignment !! it sounds to coincidental that shortly after they did the alignment that you started having issues. You should also check your optics.

thanks. i hope that is it. it does make sense. i gonna call the servicing place tomorrow. hopefully they don't charge me if its their fault.

Niklas Bjornestal
04-22-2010, 6:48 AM
thanks. i hope that is it. it does make sense. i gonna call the servicing place tomorrow. hopefully they don't charge me if its their fault.
They should be happy if YOU dont charge THEM if its their fault

Mark Ross
04-22-2010, 8:05 AM
Tyler,

We have the same machine (only in a 45W version). If you are at all even a little mechanically inclined, you can do the alignment yourselves. If you can change a washer on a kitchen faucet, then you can do the alignment. There is a procedure available from Epilog.

There is a long back panel on the machine, if you take that off, the laser is in the big metal box. On this box on the top is a big heat sink. Get some compressed air and blow any dust out of the heat sink BEFORE doing the alignment procedure.

The optics should be cleaned with disposable wipes and cleaning solution that is available from Epilog (that is what we have, maybe someone else can recommend something else).

Once you have the optics aligned, if you have this problem every few days or a couple of weeks, then you have to identify which optic is moving (it don't take much). Once you identify the moving optic, put loctite on the adjustment screws and it should solved your problem.

Larry Bratton
04-22-2010, 9:55 AM
I too have a 40 watt in an ExT. Alignment could be the cause, but if it was aligned and has not been moved, I would doubt that. Be sure the optics are clean. I hate to say it, but your tube could be going out on you. Have you talked to Epilog tech support? They are fantastic.

Martin Boekers
04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Tyler, If you can call Epilog service directly I recommend you do that first.
They will stay with you on the phone while they run you through testing the alignment. It only takes a couple minutes to do and that will give you a good Idea on if that is what is creating the problem.

One more thing to try is to make sure your focus is correct. Do you auto focus or manual? If you auto then try using the manual guide and see if they match. I have had issues with the plunger sticking sometimes which will give an incorrect reading.

Check to see if your table is level.

Check flatness of metal, sometimes the metal will warp slightly and cuase it to miss focus.

Just a few things, but I do stongly recommend calling Epilog Tech support.
I have 2 of these machines and they are VERY hands on servicable.

Marty