PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to Gloat?

Jay Knoll
11-15-2004, 5:37 PM
Hi all

As a relative newbie to this forum I'm struck with the wealth of information and experience that everyone generously shares. And the opportunity to participate in thoughful exchanges like the one started by Mark Singer awhile ago. ( I know I didn't post but I read every exchange -- sometimes twice that was a great discussion)

As I was puttering around in the workshop the other day I was thinking about the strong opinions often expressed about tools, especially when a review thread takes a wrong turn and becomes prickly. I was wondering if these situations are created by the gloat postings we so often see.

I don't know why or how they started, I haven't been around here long enough. On one hand, they're good fun, and I have to say that I enjoy showing off a new toy to my friends in real time. But here, sometimes, they take on a life of their own.

So just to make sure I wasn't going off half cocked, I hit the dictionary"

Meaning of GLOAT
Pronunciation: glowt

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] malicious satisfaction
[v] dwell on with satisfaction
[v] gaze at or think about something with great self-satisfaction, gratification, or joy

So aside from the obvious "look what I've got" value of a gloat post, I wonder what it gets us as a community. A bit of fun, sure, but are we hurting other's feelings who can't afford the "high end" stuff?

I think the reviews are wonderful and certainly appreciate the shared experiences of people and why they bought a certain item. But merely to post the fact that we've spent money is, perhaps, unnecessary.

Awhile ago I was agonizing about buying a band saw, and was wavering between two brands -- it was a lot of money for me and I didn't want to make the "wrong" decision. One kind soul finally said "don't worry, you're in the ballpark with two good machines, get one of them and use it to make stuff, you won't look back. He was right!

So what would happen to this place if we stopped gloating? Would it take away the fun? Would it open up the forum to more information sharing about the decisions each of us makes as we equip our shops?

Jay

Ted Shrader
11-15-2004, 6:02 PM
Jay -

I see the gloats as a way of sharing - to others who can appreciate it - the new "whatever" we just got. Try telling a coworker about your new "whatever" and watch their eyes glaze over.

Second. Part of the gloating is announcing, after asking the opinions of others during the research process, what it was you chose. The advice you got on your bandsaw falls in to that category.

When the post announces a new acquisition we can all have a little vicarious fun.

Regards,
Ted

Jamie Buxton
11-15-2004, 6:24 PM
Jay ---

My perception is that the gloat postings don't cause much trouble. (However, I have to admit I almost never read them. They bore me. The posters are always kind enough to put "gloat" in the topic line, and I can easily ignore them.)

Several recent threads on this forum reinforce an opinion I've slowly been formulating. On this board, we're all amateurs in the oldest sense of the word: lovers. We do woodworking because we love it, even those of us who do it for a living. It turns out that we love different things about it. There are those who love creating works which have never been seen before. There are those who love re-creating classic designs. There are those who love technique -- for instance, handcutting dovetails or planing a shaving you can read through. There are those who love tools, and aren't particularly interested in actually building anything with them. There are those who love thinking and talking about woodwork, almost to the exclusion of doing woodwork.

I find that we tend to assume that everybody else in this craft has the same motivations that we ourselves do. Heck, we find it odd that other people have different motivations. For instance, the folks who love creating new designs are surprised that anyone enjoys building antique reproductions. Yet if we think about it, I think we realize that the other folks are woodworkers too, and that they do love it as much as we do.

To bring this thought back around to your thread title, you and I may not be interested in gloat postings, but clearly there are a lot of folks on the forum who are. I'll bet there's some good fraction of them who are bored by my postings. So we all pick and choose our way around the forum, reading and responding to threads which interest us. For the most part we can get along with each other -- particularly when we remember that those folks love some aspect of woodworking as much as we do.

Jamie Buxton

Pete Rosenbohm
11-15-2004, 6:27 PM
I don't think gloats are harmful. i think they are a sharing thought from others on their good fortune. I think it makes us strive a lil harder for something that we want. Not necessarily now but maybe sometime in the near future. And i like hearing about someone getting a new tool or some wood that they been wanting for a special project. Keep the gloats coming.:D
Pete

Norman Hitt
11-15-2004, 6:42 PM
I have to agree with Ted on this. It's always nice to be able to share new purchases with others that will understand and appreciate the fact that you are proud to have been able to aquire something that you have wanted, especially if not ALL family members share your interest and enthusiasm, or even understand it. This applies whether it is a $2 item or a multi thousand $ item, and I always enjoy reading of someones new "JOY" and enjoy it with them, as well as posting my own purchases for the same reasons. To get into that "might hurt someone's feelings that can't afford it bit", is too much like all the "Politically Correct Syndrome" that is the rage now, (and which I can't stand). When someone posts about a purchase that is Absolutely out of my price range, (which happens often these days), it still lets me Dream a little, and Dreams are what keep us going and the Juices flowing.

"Gloat", by definition may not be used absolutely correct here, but it's just a good topic title that we all know as, "Aha! A New Tool/Wood, etc. Report".

I say, Keep 'Em Coming, gives us all new ideas and incentives.

Cheers, and Saw Safe...........Norm

Joe Mioux
11-15-2004, 7:08 PM
Hi Jay:

Most of the gloats I enjoy reading. Whether it is a old hand plane purchased at a garage sale for a couple bucks or a multi-thousand dollar euro-superduper jointer/planer combo deal, I enjoy reading the descriptions. I view the gloats like window shopping.....it's free.

Yes, there are some gloats that get out of control. Most of which (actually I can't think of anyother gloats that get out of control) revolves around Festools.

Does that mean I think Festool gloats or reviews should be banned? I don't think so. Even in the heated posts, good comments are made. However, would I prefer less agruments? You Bet!

Best Regards
Joe

John Shuk
11-15-2004, 7:10 PM
I think that "GLOAT" is tongue in cheek as expressed here. It seems to have started when an unusually good bargain was had but it is just a bit of slang for the forum. What can the harm be? I have NEVER seen Maliscious intent.
John

Tyler Howell
11-15-2004, 7:14 PM
I whole heartedly agree with Ted. It hasn't been the source of trouble as I see it but a sharing of ideas and process. I have a shop filled with wonderful new tools, most of which I didn't know existed this time last year. (Doesn't take much to fill my small shop). Many of the accessories are also a result of seeing form and function here in the creek.
Along that line I have been a pain to many, demanding pictures of their acquisitions and projects. This is out of a need to see in order to understand. You can't get an education like this out of a book or magazine. The only thing better than seeing it in the Creek is being right there to touch and work with the new toyl. Just by gloating, proud owners share their trials and victories of unpacking and setting up 700lb machines.
When I flashed my monster machine many stepped forward to affirm my decision and offered welcomed suggestions for care and feeding.
Just getting a glimpse of other WW shops not only showed what could be done with a given space but allowed a more trained eye to sound the alarm on dangerous situations.
Call it what you will. I call it School.
The day Creekers stop gloating is the day I look for another swimming hole.

Steve Beadle
11-15-2004, 7:19 PM
Please forgive the following:

To gloat or not to gloat,
That is the question.
Whether ‘tis nobler to let it slip—
That joy of gainfully gotten Grizzly green,
That beautiful blob of Powermatic mustard,
Or that piece of pewtery Porter Cable—
Or better to hide behind a secret grin,
Self-satisfied and smug in unshared delight,
Making all your tool buddies wonder
What in the world you’ve been up to?
Well, just so’s you know:
I’ve been up to, and I’ve been down to,
I’ve been into and finally gotten around to
Just accidentally spilling the beans—
Oh! And here’s a picture!
Could I not tell you about my grandboys?
No less could I not tell you about my new toys!

John Shuk
11-15-2004, 7:24 PM
Love the response Tyler. Right on target.

nic obie
11-15-2004, 7:41 PM
Don't you think it should be all for fun?

Lets enjoy our habit.

I really hate it when people get all pissy about how "their tool" is blah, Blah, Blah...

I'm just here for the info and an occasional chuckle. :D

Mark Singer
11-15-2004, 7:46 PM
Welcome,

You are at a great place with knowleable people very willing to help and share....please enter any discussions it will be a welcome addition...several people like pictures (Tyler and a few others)

Christopher Pine
11-15-2004, 7:52 PM
I have never seen a gloat to be a "snooty nose in the air I am better than you because of my festool!" :) I have seen nothing but fun and appreciation of shared information. Honestly I have seen 99.9% of the time this forum to be nothing but encouraging when someone shares there latest project or there latest conquest from a garage sale or from the retail outlet for festool tools. I love to open and read the gloat posts... maybe I am simple minded? but non the less I love it when someone shares a good deal or a long awaited expensive tool they were finally able to purchase. I find this conversation familiar to the old Norm Abrams discussions of he uses $10,000 worth of tools to make a $100 caffee table. :)
I say gloat away and if I should have such good fortune I will also!

Russell Svenningsen
11-15-2004, 8:00 PM
Steve Beadle is my new hero! No sarcasm intended at all! As a "closet Shakespeare nerd", I love a person who can quickly "borrow the bard", and have a bit of fun!

Steve, kudos to you! As a teacher and a guy who gets goosebumps reading Shakespeare(be nice), you are a-okay in my book!

As to the topic, I like the gloats. It's a "wink and a smile" way to show off your new toyls(kudos, TJH).

As for me, a pre-gloat is in order. I just ordered a Router Raizer for my new PC 690 router kit(fixed and plunge), a length of hose for my "new" DC(thanks TJH), picked up a new Craftsman 19.2volt drill, saw, flashlight kit, and a bunch of sandpaper. Tomorrow, a miter saw. Bit of a "tool orgy", I'm afraid.

Pics will follow.

Best,
Russell

Betsy Yocum
11-15-2004, 8:33 PM
If anyone is in my situation - which I'm sure some are - my roommates run the other way when I come in from the garage with my latest wooden accomplishment. They could care less what tool I've purchased, fixed or was given. I've been pushed into taking my latest projects to work to show off ---- but now my co-workers are getting bored with it - can you imagine that!!!:D :eek:

So finding the creek which is full of people who understand me and my obsession is wonderful! The fact that I can scream as loud as my keyboard will let me and someone, even just one, person will appreciate what I've got to say is like balm to my ego.

Is this to say I read every post, gloat or not, no. I don't have that much time. But I most certainly enjoy all the ones I read. And hopefully other enjoy the ones I post.

So I say let the gloats continue - if they get out of hand we have a wonderful moderator that will set us straight. This has got to be one of the very best forums on the internet.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Betsy

Keith Christopher
11-15-2004, 8:35 PM
I like the gloats, often I am wrapped up in my fav brand, but i get to see what others are buying, helps me read about them and I always revel in others gains in hopes of my own. I like seeing what other are using, and some of the folks here kick the tires before I do, I like that even better !: ) I would have never gotten my osborne gauge had it not been for a miter guage thread on here.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-15-2004, 8:58 PM
Using the word gloat is defintely not accurate when we post our new tool finds. Personally I think they cause no trouble at all.

I vote we keep those as they are and self police the threads that can get sticky.

Ken Garlock
11-15-2004, 9:03 PM
Hi Jay, and a belated welcome to you, albeit 50 some messages late :o

Personally, I do not usually do any direct gloats because I feel kind of embarrassed about it. However, if someone has a discussion regarding a type of tool that I have purchased, I will make a remark about the subject and note that I had recently bought a specific model or brand.
In the couple years that I have been frequenting this, and previously the Badger Pond, forum, I have noted that gloating is a part of the camaraderie of the group. Sure, it is a case of sticking your thumbs under your suspenders and saying 'look what I have,' but that is OK. The poster likes being "validated" and the person posting a response feels he has "done his good deed for the day."

I like to see the gloats, and think they should continue. If the gloat is something of no interest to me, I just move on. If it is something of interest, I may post an "atta boy" back to the gloater.

BTW folks, I just ordered an LN 4 1/2 smoothing plane today.(stealth gloat.) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
11-15-2004, 9:06 PM
I think "gloats" are a harmless exchange of ideas. It is natural to be proud over a new tool for your favorite hobby or profession and you want to share your joy with your friends. We also learn from other's gloats the direction they are taking in their WW, There could be a hint of snobism occassionally biut I don.t think thats an issue.... Gloat on...

Tony Falotico
11-15-2004, 9:07 PM
Keeps me up to date with who has what, when I'm in the market (or just dreaming) I know WHO to ask. And many times much public research was accomplished right here prior to the GLOAT, displayed for all to see and learn from, without the spin we get in the magazine reviews.

Keep them GLOATS a coming !

Tony Falotico
11-15-2004, 9:13 PM
Personally, I do not usually do any direct gloats

BTW folks, I just ordered an LN 4 1/2 smoothing plane today.(stealth gloat.) :cool:

LOL Way To Go Ken !! An indirect GLOAT hidden in a Gloat discussion. You da man !! :D :D :D
Enjoy that plane when you get it my friend!

Mark Singer
11-15-2004, 9:16 PM
I think the gloating over new tools is great! As friends we like to share our purchases...the things we craft and occasionally our sorrow. It is all part of life and SMC is a select group of people who communicate with a different language and appreciation of woodworking culture. New tools are fun to share...often other members have the very same ones and know how terrific they are to use. For many of us it is an appreciation for moving away from the shop where a radial arm saw was the entire shop and every operation was performed on it! I have collected tools for many years and feel gradified to see all my friends at SMC "Gloating" on what UPS brought today... Here we have a home and the good news of the day should be shared...and with pictures...we all (Tyler) like our pictures.

Mike Cutler
11-15-2004, 9:40 PM
Jay. I was pretty disturbed by the thread that may have caused you to post this question. Something got way out of hand there, and I'm not sure what it was? or how that thread went down the tubes, so to speak, but it did and all that is left is for all of us to learn from it.
I asked myself the same question you did. Was gloating really necessary? and was it helpful/healthy? and lastly,why didn't the moderator remove that particular thread?
I believe that, while the gloating may seem a little adolescent in nature, it has always been in good fun. There is a genuine sense of community in celebrating someones pride in new ownership. There is a lot of good natured fun poked at the individual by some other members that may have a "closer" relationship with the individual poster, and we learn alot about everyone just by their posts and attempts at humor.I view the "Pics Police Policies" in this same manner, good natured fun and not to be taken too seriously. I'll never think that someone is less of a member if they don't take pictures and post them.
I'm personally not a person that would be led to post each new tool, not out of snobbery or anything, it's just not really my nature. Those that I have posted I felt I owed it to the board due to the fact that I had solicited input from forum members, and felt that they were entitled to some form of closure on the issue. If these members were my "physical" neighbors, and not my "cyberspace" neighbors I would have done the same thing.
Is the practice of gloating helpful/healthy? I concluded that it was. In our everyday real lives we don't have access to as many people with the same interest as we do, yet here we know that we are all here out of the same interest, namely woodworking. I believe it helps a person to recieve feedback that their purchase was a good one, a wise choice, and represents money well spent. Others are also privy to the decision and the rational involved in this purchase, this in turn makes their future decisions more well informed.
lastly, should the moderator have removed the post? My answer is no. This would be a form of censorship that I don't believe I could stand behind. People will always have an opinion, and I support a person right to have an opinion and defend their position, even if they are wrong. As long as they don't get verbally abusive with me, or physically threatening, I'd defend their right to disagree with me, even if I thought they were completely out to lunch on the issue. Heck, I'm no saint. I've been the completely out to lunch guy on more occasions than I care to admit to.
These are my views on the issue. Thank you for asking the question that has allowed us to express our opinions on the subject.

Frank Pellow
11-15-2004, 10:00 PM
It is certainly good to have a community of articulate folks who can appreciate our enthusiasm when we acquire a new tool.

I enjoy reading gloats but I enjoy reading reviews or even-mini-reviews more. Keeping this in mind, I don't recall ever having posted a gloat myself but, rather, I try to wait until I have actually used the tool and then write about my experience.

John Miliunas
11-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Jay, I can understand what you're trying to say, but only to a degree. (Sorry!) I've had my share of gloats BUT, those were usually followed by other people gloating about the same tool AND, giving us their opinion about the tool or their reasoning for purchasing it. I've gleaned a LOT of info about the hobby (OK, obsession) I have from the many gloats and have been thrilled to share in other folks' acquisitions. No, I'll most probably never have that j/p combo on steroids, but so what? If it's made someone as happy as I was when I got my first 6" Grizz jointer, I'll jump in the revelry and share their happiness! :D And, like Betsy said, most everyone else I know (or those in my own family), just kind of give me this blank stare when I come up with something new! They smile, trying to be polite, but I may as well be a carrot stick with a mouth! :D :cool:

sascha gast
11-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Yes we do, yes we do. sharing our excitement with people that actually care.
other people just think i'm nuts with all the tools i get.

sascha

Andy London
11-16-2004, 5:33 AM
I personally enjoy reading the gloats for a number of reasons, it's great seeing a WW excited over a new toy and reading how it is working for them. As noted most of the people we work with would not know the difference between a miter saw and a table saw:)

Although I run a hobby WW business that does very well and my shop is very well equipped, I do not have many of the quality tools I see posted here, there are some I do wish I had but I have always learned to get by with what I could afford, and I am happy someone else was able to get what they want/need.

It's also nice to make a mental note in the event I buy one of these tools, I know who to contact to see how things are working out, tool reviews are good but you can't beat these forums for reviews as it's hands on experience over time....

My 2 cents.

Andy

Thomas Prondzinski
11-16-2004, 7:07 AM
I think gloats are great if not this would be a somewhat boring place,we need to have some fun. I'm with Betsy and John on this one,everyone at my house gives the blank stare and say ok,not having a clue what I was talking about.So all you people are my woodworking family,that I know will get just about as excited I did. That makes my hobby,passion,addiction more fun as someone shares in my excitement. Thanks to all the Creekers who help me share my excitement,passion.

Thanks again Tom

Keith Outten
11-16-2004, 7:48 AM
Concerning the topic of "Gloats" my personal opinion is that like any other public message, they can be positive or negative depending on the readers interpretation. Gloats are a tradition on woodworking forums and have been accepted as a means of communicating information concerning tools and materials as well as serving as updates to workshop capabilities. Here at The Creek we rarely see any gloat that anyone would consider to be a negative post, our members normally apply the same care and consideration when posting Gloats as they do in all other topics. We must also consider that our members represent a very broad range of experience and educational backgrounds and some may not be as skilled in communicating their ideas as others. It is also difficult to convey information in a pure text format, the inability to use vocal tone impacts our communications more than we realize.

I enjoy all of the messages that include details of new acquisitions and sharing in the obvious joy of the new owner. I have never seen a post or thread that I considered to be an obvious brag or boast when a new owner has announced their "Gloat". Possibly it is my frame of mind as a reader and that I have been a forum participant for many years. I generally accept this kind of communication as a positive part of the experience.

Concerning the topic of Moderation I should remind everyone that SawMill Creek is a Member Moderated Forum and you each have the authority to report messages you feel are inappropriate. Almost every message that we have had to edit or delete was reported by our membership. Generally I believe that it is best to allow message threads to take their natural course until a member reports a concern. Our Moderators and Administrative Staff all share this same train of thought and unless a thread violates our Terms of Service we prefer open discussions that are not guided by our Staff. Freedom of Speech applies only to a point and everyone should understand that SawMill Creek is not a Democracy, we tried that in the early days and it failed miserably. I think that we have adopted a mix of rules and rights that work exceptionally well for everyone and will continue to serve as a foundation that will assure our existence in the future.

I watched the thread in question and enjoyed the feedback and comments. Although it did get a little tense I didn't feel that it was a problem. I know that woodworkers are often passionate concerning certain tools or techniques and for the most part I consider this to be a good thing. When someone is enthusiastic about their equipment it generally means they are elated to have spent their hard earned money on something that performs exactly as they expected. We are all searching for the "perfect value" and occasionally we find them.

Mark J Bachler
11-16-2004, 8:22 AM
I want to see & hear it all. Everything made, remade, refinished, bought, fixed up, auctioned, or stolen. I don't care. I'm a sponge. I love the gloats on tools, material purchases, shop progress or anything else someone was lucky enough to find or skilled enough to build. I have been at both ends of the ladder. I built our 24 x 24 log house with a chain saw and a maul on $46 a week UPC. I built our 1<SUP>st</SUP> kitchen with a skillsaw & left over roof boards. I knew someday I’d have my own shop but for 25 years I worked in other peoples shops. Now after all the work, saving & scrimping I have my dream shop. Soon to be working full time there (hopefully). I knew what I wanted & what it would take to make a living doing what I loved to do by talking to people that had profitable shops, reading articles and forums like this. Basically being a sponge. So if I gloat occasionally please forgive me, for like so many here it’s been a long row to hoe.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2004, 8:50 AM
Gloats are a way of communicating information about tools. I'll be blunt. I have an orange monster sitting in my old shop.....if I'd found this forum in its present form prior to my purchase .....it would probably be a green monster. Luckily for me, FWW recently reviewed this orange monster and rated it as an "excellent buy" for the money!(Whew!) My first gloat on this site was about my wife having a new shop built for me. By posting this gloat, I got a wealth of information and adjusted the construction details of the new shop accordingly. I can understand that some people may be intimidated by the fact they might not be able to afford some of the more expensive tools found in our members shops...(I for one) but it still gives me specifications and details to measure other lesser expensive tools by. As far as the "Photo Cops" my comments about and "snitching" about posting (or not posting) pictures has always been "tongue in cheek"! I love the bantar among the membership here!

Bill Grumbine
11-16-2004, 9:01 AM
Hi Jay

I have been reading this thread with interest, and you raise a valid point. The definition of gloat you have posted is certainly accurate, and in the usual sense and usage of the word, gloat is not a word one would wish to have used to describe oneself. However, in this case, I think we need to look at the operational definition of the word, which is more in the lines of "rejoice" or "celebrate". The word gloat has been used for years in this manner on the web, at least in woodworking circles, and I cannot recall a single instance where the gloater has been snobby or uncivil.

I am in that category of people who have some of the best tools one can buy. I was not always there. I just took delivery of a combo machine that cost close to $12,000. But you know, I can remember back to when I started out woodworking on an $88.00 Black and Decker table saw from a now defunct home center. I was just as excited about my newest tool then, and I didn't give a rip (get it, give a rip?) about other people with saws more expensive than mine. I was happy and would have been glad to share my joy with anyone who stood still long enough to listen.

The same goes for my lathe. It is one of the best and most expensive on the market, and I have literally hundreds of people who have turned on it who go home to their machines of lesser size and quality. Many of them write me or talk to me when they upgrade, sometimes from a $200 lathe to a $400 lathe, and I rejoice along with them because I remember my excitement when I was there.

On the other hand, I have a shop that is small by the standards of many here. I regularly see people building or buying space that dwarfs mine. These huge new shops don't have the air leaks, or the ugly walls, or the uneven floor, and maybe I could be jealous, but I rejoice with the owner that he or she has a nice place to do their work, because I remember my own excitement at moving to the space I have.

So, my theme here is that it is all about the excitement, and about the sharing of that excitement, and there is really nothing malicious in it. It is just a case where a word has taken on a meaning different than its usual. To close with a final example, I am one of those people who really like Spam - of course, I am talking about the stuff you eat out of the can, but you knew that, right? ;)

Bill

Jay Knoll
11-16-2004, 9:37 AM
OK everyone, I get it! Perhaps I was being too literal in my interpretation of the word, but words are all we've got here (Besides the occasional picture or so :) Since this is my first woodworking forum, the "g word" kind of stuck out-- I wasn't aware of its widespread use.

Then I better catch up with the gang

Thanks to all of you for your advice, counsel and motivation.

In the last year I bought

a Laguna 16" HD LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

Festool Dust extractor, Plunge saw, Rotex, Jigsaw and Multi-function table YEAH They really are all everybody says they are

Hitachi 10" SCM -- was invaluable when I did the kitchen remodel

a L-N 5 1/2" jack plane
a L-N block plane with adjustable throat

a set of two cherry's chisels no, I should have said a chisel kit -- spent lots of time tuning them up but I can shave the hair off the back of my arm Now I've got to develop the muscle memory to do dovetails properly

a garage sale 6" jointer $80 - Taiwan made I think -- I buffed the rust off the table and fence using the Rotex -- not the greatest but I've got it squared up however I'm getting snipe on the trailing end of the board but don't know which table to adjust yeah I'm lusting after an 8" DJ20 but I've got time.

I'm sure you all know what these things look like (except for the jointer I'll post that once I finish polishing it up!) so I'm not going to spend time taking pictures! Yeah Chris P, I know it isn't a real gloat unless the picture is there ................

Oh, and a pre gloat, I've got a Stanley 608 jointer plane coming from EBay!

Hope we haven't created a monster here guys!

Jay

Ken Fitzgerald
11-16-2004, 9:48 AM
Jay........You've had a wonderful year! :) You realize that this is probably the first MEGA-GLOAT and possibly the biggest single gloat posted on this forum? :eek: :rolleyes: :D
Nothing like go "hog wild" huh! :D
Congrats!

Scott Coffelt
11-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Personally, I love the gloats. In some cases like the $12,000 tool that most likely will never see my shop I can live vicariously through others. In other cases it opens my eyes to new tools, with time and practice can the same results be achieved with minor tools.... sure, I don't see why not. I love to make things and I also like the lessons learned, the therapy I gain while being in the shop. My time is never enough, but what I do get I love. Sometimes the tools make my life easier and more efficient. Places like this make my realize there is new things out there that could make it easier for me to try new things in my work. Could I do it differently, sure, but then again I don't have the time to wait. I like to get my projects done or they may never get done. If nothing gets produced, then I may not justify the time away from family.

I have a friend who spends months practicing new techniques, proto-type after proto-type. It may take a year or two to finish a small plant table. In the end his work and joinery is awesome, but he says often I wish I could just go build somethng quick. Is there a right way, nope, but in the end satisfaction of doing it your way. I try a different approach. i try and add something new to each project. I learn and my skills get better, but I also try and complete the project in a reasonable time frame for me.. but then that is my personality... I need some sort of instant gradification. That's why I love tool gloats, not that it is "Hey look at me I just spent more money". Instead, i want to find others to share in my joy and also maybe help them rejoice in a future or even past purchase of a similar item.

So I say, gloat if thee wants and read if thee wants.. it's your right to decide and do as you please (read the fine print... if it is within the rules of the SMC).

John Miliunas
11-16-2004, 10:19 AM
OK everyone, I get it! Perhaps I was being too literal in my interpretation of the word, but words are all we've got here (Besides the occasional picture or so :) Since this is my first woodworking forum, the "g word" kind of stuck out-- I wasn't aware of its widespread use.

Festool Dust extractor, Plunge saw, Rotex, Jigsaw and Multi-function table YEAH They really are all everybody says they are

a L-N 5 1/2" jack plane

a set of two cherry's chisels no, I should have said a chisel kit -- spent lots of time tuning them up but I can shave the hair off the back of my arm Now I've got to develop the muscle memory to do dovetails properly

a garage sale 6" jointer $80 - Taiwan made I think -- I buffed the rust off the table and fence using the Rotex -- not the greatest but I've got it squared up however I'm getting snipe on the trailing end of the board but don't know which table to adjust yeah I'm lusting after an 8" DJ20 but I've got time.

I'm sure you all know what these things look like (except for the jointer I'll post that once I finish polishing it up!) so I'm not going to spend time taking pictures! Yeah Chris P, I know it isn't a real gloat unless the picture is there ................

Jay

Yikes! Those are some very MAJOR LEAGUE gloats, Jay! Now I don't feel so bad I never really posted anything about the LN 102 (just ordered)or the Sjoberg bench top, which followed me home last Friday! :D :cool:

Rich Konopka
11-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Jay:

There is a saying. "When in Rome do as the Romans (http://www.goenglish.com/WhenInRomeDoAsTheRomansDo.asp)".

Based on your history of purchases over the past year you are now a Roman. :D

Cheers

Joe Mioux
11-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Jay, With all those new tools and no pics....you are in trouble when the pic police catch up with you.:eek:

This has been a very good thread and thank you for starting it.
Joe

larry merlau
11-16-2004, 12:02 PM
and those in favor of keeping things as they are. jamie is right we are all connected in some form. its wood and its tools or skills that keep us the same. we are (sawmill creek)_ just as church is the group that resides or worships together. we are the begining and the future, welcome all the new and the old and the wize and those like me who still need lots of help from you folks.

Tony Falotico
11-16-2004, 8:48 PM
the Sjoberg bench top, which followed me home last Friday! :D :cool:

I've seen this phrase soooo many times here ......... What brand after shave do you guys wear :confused: :confused:
Only things that follow me home are mangy dogs and bill collectors !! :D :D

And JAY, WAY TO GO !!! Had them GLOATS all bottled up inside, set us with the 'no more gloats' line, then BAMM, when we least expect it....... a whole years worth MEGA GLOAT !!! :D :D

Isn't there a GLOAT penalty to cover this :confused: Where's the GLOAT PD when you need 'em ??

Tyler Howell
11-16-2004, 9:29 PM
Wait one minute.:eek:
:mad: No one gets off just cause this is a thread on Gloats.
Up against the wall all of ya!
Let's see them pix!
Higher!
I want to see em now!

John Miliunas
11-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Wait one minute.:eek:
:mad: No one gets off just cause this is a thread on Gloats.
Up against the wall all of ya!
Let's see them pix!
Higher!
I want to see em now!

Aw heck, Tyler. Just be sure to bring your Oly along Friday and you can have all the pics your little heart desires! :D Besides, I don't even have that new cordless tool, yet. I figured it would be appropriate to shoot a pic of that ON the Neander-style bench! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
11-17-2004, 8:19 PM
A good question...and appropriate to ask it, too.

I don't think that posting "gloats" is too much of an issue, given the general spirit they are given, but can understand how someone new to the form medium might be discomforted with them until they realize that it's really just a way of sharing with the community. That said, I know I like to try to add value when I talk about a new tool purchase or discovery in the same manner that I talk to my customers about the communications solutions that my employer develops and sells...including not just the "what" but also the "why". That forms an nice basis for folks considering thinks with similar functions, no matter what vendor produces them or how they might be aquired.

Scott Parks
11-17-2004, 11:46 PM
Quite honestly, I sometimes feel inadequate on some gloats because I want one of those too! (Checkbook rapidly depleating).

But I love gloats because:
1. I have scored many good deals on tools.
2. I buy based on reputation / recommendation.
3. I love sharing new toys with someone that understands. My other friends could care less about my tools. They just don't understand tools.

BTW, November was a very good month for me (overtime$$$$$$$):D . I'm holding out for a mega-gloat. (waiting for the semi-truck to pull into the driveway):D :D :D Will report in two weeks... And the reason I bought a truckload of tools? :) Because they were highly praised by other gloaters here!:)

Fred Chan
11-19-2004, 2:17 AM
Gloats are good!:) Where else can you share your excitement over a new toy when your friends or family don't understand your love for woodworking? My brothers once took a bunch of 6" wide 8/4 oak to the dump!:eek: When asked their response was "who wants a pile of scrap lumber laying around?":( There's nothing more depressing than showing off your new jointer or bandsaw and having the person ask why you'd waste your money buying something like that.:mad:

aurelio alarcon
11-19-2004, 3:32 AM
I like the gloats as well as anyone. But I would rather read reviews. By the way I just bought a 3 1/2 Craftsman plunge router. So here is a picture of my new tool:

I would enclose a review, but I have yet to use it enough. So far, I am pleased with its performance.

John Renzetti
11-19-2004, 9:12 AM
Hi, I really like the Gloats. Whether it is for a large Euro machine with a large price tag, a garage sale score of a neat hand tool, or a big find of a piece of old heavy iron, or just about any hand or power tool no matter which manufacturer, the gloater is just sharing some joy of his good fortune.
A good friend in CA just sent me some pictures of his latest gloat, a new Martin 20" jointer, and Martin 24" planer. I'll never be able to afford something like that. (not the cost of the machines, but the cost of the divorce. :) ) But I'm really glad for my friend.
Another thing I really like is the original post and the very good and thoughtful replies to it. That says a lot about the people here.
take care,
John
(who hopes to post some pictures of a major gloat next Friday)

Rob Russell
11-19-2004, 1:30 PM
John (who hopes to post some pictures of a major gloat next Friday)

Ummm - finally going to get your 900 or did you go to the -4?

Brad Schmid
11-19-2004, 3:48 PM

a L-N 5 1/2" jack plane

Jay

Ok Jay, now that's more like it! :D
Glad you joined the sharing of the fun and excitement. Some of our best discussions here originate in this fashion, and to me it's naturally uplifting to see the excitement of a friend (and that's what I consider the folks here at SMC), not to mention the knowledge gained by following the process of researching, ordering, delivery, setup, vendor experiences, etc. that led up to said gloat. I have to believe we all use this term more "tongue in cheek" than in it's literal sense, and it's really just a call to help celebrate. The integrity of the folks here is simply above using the word gloat by any other definition.

Cheers,
Brad

Gredo Goldenstein
11-19-2004, 6:08 PM
Most of the time I enjoy reading another persons gloat. I enjoy the excitement of a new or old "whatever". Sometimes I read them and say to myself, "That's a gloat?" But then I remember that 1 mans trash is another mans treasure. I guess most of all I enjoy reading them for the seeing of anothers gift. I have always enjoyed watching another person opening a Christmas present more than unwrapping one myself.