PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Cabinet Finally Done

Nick Mastropietro
04-21-2010, 5:38 PM
Well it took a while but here it is. My initial intention was to build the cabinet to sort of look like a pyramid, wider on the bottom and gradually getting narrower as the legs narrowed. A desire to get this out of the way and start turning drove me to this simpler design. I haven't secured the cabinet to the ballast box yet as I'm not sure how far back I want the cabinet sit, this was on advise from others who thought I may not be able to get close enough to the ways if I set it squarely on the ballast box (good advise). I will eventually purchase shadow foam and make drawer inserts with cutouts for some of the items. Thanks for looking.

Mike Stephens
04-21-2010, 5:42 PM
Very nice job Nick. I think you might have missed a detail or 2. ;)

Rich Aldrich
04-21-2010, 5:47 PM
Nice work, Nick. Lots of storage and compact within the lathe foot print.

Thom Sturgill
04-21-2010, 6:14 PM
Nice cabinet, Nick. I notice you have Jet colors!

Mine's in the design phase, I hope to build it this weekend. I built a separate tool rack, so I don't need room for chisels in the cabinet, just my various chucks, jaws, tool rests, etc., etc., etc. I have been planning to taper the cabinet, but may do the front square or stepped.

John Keeton
04-21-2010, 6:15 PM
It'll never work, Nick!! Too much organization, too well designed, much, much too classy looking.....:D;) And, besides, it makes my cobbled together 2x4 lathe stand look like crap!!:(

David E Keller
04-21-2010, 6:27 PM
That looks nice... The extra detail with the color scheme is really nice. How would you like to build me one in a nice, mustard yellow?

Ray Bell
04-21-2010, 6:36 PM
Very nice. I like the drawer layout, and the color scheme.

Bill Bolen
04-21-2010, 7:02 PM
Great cabinet Nick. My design is similar to yours and I have found the cabinet a good piece of equipment for keeping all the lathe related items in one spot. Also it provides a great "lean against" reaching into the center of deep bowls...Bill...

Baxter Smith
04-21-2010, 8:20 PM
Nice looking cabinet! Colors and all!

Matt Owen
04-21-2010, 8:24 PM
Great job on the cabinet! Very well done.

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2010, 9:24 PM
Really a beauty Nick. Well done.

Paul Douglass
04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
That is nice, but if I had it the drawers would be fill of wood chips all the time. I'd forget to close them just like I do the tool box that sits under my lathe.

Steve Schlumpf
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Wow - thought I was looking at HGTV for a second! Very nice work Nick! You should be proud!

Jamie Straw
04-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Wow, that is fannnnnceeee! Really nice, and colors are awesome.

Nick Mastropietro
04-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Thank you all for your very kind comments. Many who frequent the creek have been an influence on my evolving woodworking skills and for that I thank you. Being new to the turning vortex will present me with a whole new challenge requiring a considerably different skill set than I believe I possess. I don;t seem to have a problem designing or reading plans for a project and bringing it to life, however I think this turning stuff requires a bit of artistry. I'm not sure it's on my list of strengths, but I'm going to do my best to learn and I feel confident that I can turn to you fine folks for advise and constructive criticism.

Joe Adams
04-22-2010, 12:00 AM
I've been pondering a similar storage cabinet for my new Jet 1442. Thanks for showing me how good it can be!

Mike Cruz
04-22-2010, 8:07 AM
Very nice cabinet! I just got an old Delta. I came with a cabinet under it that looks as old as the lathe. It came out of a Jr High School, and by the looks of the construction, it was built by the students.

Needless to say, I want to replaced it (the cabinet, not the lathe). Thanks for the inspiration.

Chris Stolicky
04-23-2010, 9:10 AM
Good job. I like it. You certainly put more into yours that I did with mine.

Everything looks way too clean though. Better get turning! : )