PDA

View Full Version : An idea to control the mess when using waterstones...

David Genrich
11-15-2004, 3:33 PM
I am using Japanese waterstones for plane and chisel sharping. Currently, I am doing this on my kitchen counter. However, between sharping the steel and flatting the waterstones, it is a messing process.

Thus, I was thinking of taking a shallow plastic container (such as the Rubbermaid® 12 Quart Clear Storage Box, http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=63081-315-2220), drill a hole in the side, near the bottom. Attach some type of flow control (on/off) and a hose. The hose will then go in the kitchen sink.

In the container, I would put a standoff for the granite block that I use to put the diamond file on for flattening the waterstone. In the rest of the container, I would have the stones and some water. I can then use the kitchen facet, which has an extension hose on it, to rinse of the stones as I am working. If too much water gets into the container, I could open the valve to drain it.

This should keep all the mess contained.

Would this be a good idea? Any suggestions on improvements - or some other container that might work better?

Looking forward to your insights and comments.

Thanks,
David Genrich
woodshaper@gmail.com

Dennis McDonaugh
11-15-2004, 3:39 PM
David, I use a plastic tray. I put the tray on my bench and three stones in a square tupperware container on top of the tray. I keep the stones in the tupperware container until needed. Works great to contain the mess and soak the stones when not in use.

Alan Turner
11-15-2004, 3:50 PM
I use Shapton stones, and they do not need (or like) soaking. I sharpen on my bench, and put down a rubber router mat, dedicated for the purpose, which contains the small mess as well as need be.
Alan

Lou Morrissette
11-15-2004, 7:52 PM
I like to use a shallow cookie sheet. I keep a rubber mat under the sheet to keep it from moving. Works for me.

Joel Moskowitz
11-15-2004, 8:27 PM
At home I too sharpen on the kitchen counter. The stones are stored in a tupperware container. When I take out a stone I put a folded papertowel under it to contain the mess. Works pretty well (not perfect) it soaks up the water and keeps the stone from sliding.

At work I have a 1/4" plywood board about 20" x 24. On one edge is a lip which I clamp in the vise to keep the mess from dirtying my bench. Works pretty well.

Derek Cohen
11-16-2004, 1:04 AM
I sharpen at the laundry sink, much to the dismay of my wife.

The stones are stored in a large plastic container, left soaking in water. This is important since they all need lots of water, even the higher grits (I use King 800, 1200, 4000, 6000, plus a natural Chinese finishing waterstone).

The key to keeping the mess down is to keep the stones moist without running water over everything. To do this I shake off excess water and place a stone on a router mat (as suggested by others above) and - here is the key element - frequently mist the stones with water from a spray bottle. This allows for just sufficient water to go where it is needed. A sponge is ever handy to swab up excess and wring out in the tub.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tyler Howell
11-16-2004, 6:30 AM
Tupperware is king for storage/soaking. I work in a 3/4" baking pan, router matt under and a piece of matt in the pan. slop stays put.:cool:

Tony Zaffuto
11-16-2004, 8:13 AM
My methods are the same as Alan's except I don't use Shapton's, I use King waterstones, with the finest 8000 grit. My old router pad contains all of the mess very nicely and rinses off very well.