PDA

View Full Version : Glock Magazines

Lee DeRaud
04-21-2010, 1:20 PM
Before I generate a bunch of toxic fumes, any clue what the outer shells are made of?

I seriously doubt they're PVC but I can't tell for sure, and the people at the factory can't be any more specific than "polymer".

Mike Null
04-21-2010, 2:30 PM
Without having any good info I'd guess that they were polycarbonate.

Shawn Conklin
04-21-2010, 4:15 PM
quick test.

http://www.nycresistor.com/2008/08/28/how-to-identify-polymers-with-burnination/

Lee DeRaud
04-21-2010, 5:13 PM
quick test.

http://www.nycresistor.com/2008/08/28/how-to-identify-polymers-with-burnination/ Worth a try...I've got a buggered-up 10-rounder I was going to sacrifice to get the settings dialed in anyway.

Gordon Kircher
04-21-2010, 8:42 PM
Shawn,
Thanks for the link.... I saw this before but couldn't find it again.

G

Bill Cunningham
04-22-2010, 8:47 PM
I'm pretty sure they are a very hard polycarbonate of some type.. I do 9mm mags for Rock River Arms, and put a coat of wax on them, laser them at 10sp 100%power, 600 dpi. this just gets below the surface enough that the dealer I do them for can wipe on some paint let it get tacky, then wipe it off. The wax keeps it from sticking to the un engraved surface, and leaves the white logo..

Lee DeRaud
04-22-2010, 9:12 PM
I'm pretty sure they are a very hard polycarbonate of some type.I'm willing to believe they're some kind of polycarbonate, but it's actually quite soft: you can cut it with a utility knife. (And FWIW, I don't think it's the same polymer they use in the gun frame.)

Bill Cunningham
04-22-2010, 9:56 PM
Boy! they must be something different.. The mags I've been doing are so hard, the laser just gets into them.. I kinda assumed they would be the same stuff on the glock.. These are 9mm uzi's pinned to five rounds to satisfy the hoplophobes.

Shawn Conklin
04-23-2010, 6:15 AM
hoplophobes? i find it funny that people thinks its strange to have an irrational fear of UZIs! Especially considering how they are glorified(demonized) in movies and such ...

Anyhow, I am curious what you are all etching the clips for? We might be approaching the local civil service (police fire and so on) with discounts for our service. I was actually headed down the mag light and other 'bat tool belt' etchings.

Are the clips being etched for design or simply ownership branding?

Thanks
-Shawn

Lee DeRaud
04-23-2010, 9:45 AM
Are the clips being etched for design or simply ownership branding?Ownership and numbering only, nothing decorative.

Jack Burton
04-25-2010, 8:37 PM
Used Glock Mags are cheap enough to sample on....... I will run a test if you can't .........

I have a few around....for my other hobby I am a Factory Certified Glock Armorer..... :)

Bill Cunningham
04-27-2010, 9:00 PM
hoplophobes? i find it funny that people thinks its strange to have an irrational fear of UZIs! Especially considering how they are glorified(demonized) in movies and such ...

Anyhow, I am curious what you are all etching the clips for? We might be approaching the local civil service (police fire and so on) with discounts for our service. I was actually headed down the mag light and other 'bat tool belt' etchings.

Are the clips being etched for design or simply ownership branding?

Thanks
-Shawn

Remember were talking about Canada here Eh!! Hoplo's are rampant..ha(I should have said pinned at 10 rounds)
The reason we are etching them is due to a quirk in our firearms laws. We can have a 10 round mag for a centerfire semiauto pistol, but a centerfire semiauto rifle must be pinned to 5 rounds. Now, if the same mag fits a pistol, and it's permanently marked 'pistol mag' then it can legally hold 10 rounds.. Sooo 25 round mags that will fit the rifle or pistol can be permanently marked pistol mag and pinned at ten rounds and used in a rifle or pistol.. Common phrase here is :"It doesn't have to make sense, it's government policy" :confused:
I just etch them for the distributor, who has received approval for this marking from the RCMP, so nothing sneaky going on ..

William Richardson
05-16-2010, 10:13 AM
I have done several glock mags, and they come out great, no toxic fumes. I do them for Police officers and agencies for ownership purposes.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_rDD4jpOGtN0/S92eu0EOeKI/AAAAAAAAAC4/iIgSnXCRtic/s720/Unit%20%23%20on%20Glock%20Mag.JPG

Stanley Waldrup
10-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I have done several glock mags, and they come out great, no toxic fumes. I do them for Police officers and agencies for ownership purposes.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_rDD4jpOGtN0/S92eu0EOeKI/AAAAAAAAAC4/iIgSnXCRtic/s720/Unit%20%23%20on%20Glock%20Mag.JPG
What Settings did you use on these

Bruce Clumpner
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Not having access to a Glock, do the slides engrave directly or do you use Cermark?

Mike Null
10-05-2010, 1:33 PM
Now I'm guessing they're PETG.

Scott Challoner
10-05-2010, 1:50 PM
That almost look like glass filled nylon or ABS. Someone posted this chart for me awhile back that was useful. You just have to have a sample you can burn.
http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_plasticsid.html

Robert Walters
10-05-2010, 6:51 PM
Glock bodies are a nylon base.
Doesn't feel like glass impregnated nylon though, not "that" brittle.

Mag's might be HDPE, fairly soft.

Jack,
We need to talk, mind if I PM? :cool:

Bill Cunningham
10-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I do knives for the tactical cops, but would have a problem with mags.. Our cops are not allowed to use their own guns, plus the ones they have, use 15 round mags.. If I were to laser them, they would have to be here with me, or I could be charged with having a prohib mag.. The Uzi mags I do, are already perm. pinned when I get them..
It's to keep us safe ya know, if it only saves one life, it's all for the children.. etc..etc.. etc..

William Richardson
10-30-2010, 11:30 AM
For the magazines, depending on the depth you want. Deep I go 100% power 84% Speed. or 50% at 75%speed. It was trial and error to get the right depth. Some like the deeper engraving and others do not. On the slide I do direct laser no ceramark, I use a setting similar to anodized aluminum, This will take off the top tenifer coating material of the glock slide.

Terry Swift
10-28-2011, 4:09 PM
What does the group suggest for lasering the Glock coating off slides, barrels, etc.? The coating doesn't seem to laser well and now need to colorize it. Thought it would laser to bare metal okay and so no tape to cover and then use something like hi-temp BBQ paint as the fill.

Thanks

Derek Gilmer
10-28-2011, 6:01 PM
What does the group suggest for lasering the Glock coating off slides, barrels, etc.? The coating doesn't seem to laser well and now need to colorize it. Thought it would laser to bare metal okay and so no tape to cover and then use something like hi-temp BBQ paint as the fill.

Thanks
NOOOOO don't hurt the tennifer! :D

Greg Bednar
10-28-2011, 6:19 PM
hoplophobes.

I had to look that one up - I and my old LEO buddies are still laughing - thanks Bill :-)

Dewey Schramm
10-28-2011, 6:36 PM
So I have a dumb question. I've approached a number of Leo types... And each place I've offered to engrave (cuffs, magazines,etc) I'm basically shown the hand scrawled metal etching result... Along with the statement "that works good enough, why pay more for the same thing." Clearly neatness doesn't count. How are you guys getting past that? I tried to do a freebie just to get in the door... But even that was brushed off. I'm friendly with a couple of the guys... But getting no where.