PDA

View Full Version : 2-ply laserable plastic for switch panels etc.

Michael Hunter
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
I have been using Romark Mulitgraph gloss for switch panels in the last few years. It is (was) the most expensive Rowmark laminate, but produced excellent results and seems hardwearing.

My supplier now tells me that Multigraph has been discontinued.

So, my question is - what do others use for this type of job?
I have only ever used Rowmark plastics, but there are other types available - do the alternatives have any advantages?

I, and my customers, prefer a gloss finish if possible.
It has to be laserable (even though some rotary engraving products seem better).

Thanks

Epilog 32EX 60W

Joe Pelonio
04-21-2010, 9:38 PM
Rowmark does have some glossy products that will work, but only in Rotary. I have used my laser on several colors of rotary material. It actually cuts better than laser, with no residue, more like acrylic. Engraving takes two passes. Higher power/slower speed will give it a rough look so it just takes longer.

Another trick is to spray the Lasermax (matte) with Krylon clear gloss before engraving/cutting and make it glossy.

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2010, 8:12 AM
Rowmark LaserMax LM922-402 is gloss black/white core.

Tony Lenkic
04-22-2010, 5:57 PM
Michael - does need to be gloss?
If not you can use Rowmark Lasermax or Varsity collection (non stock item so requirement is 2 sheets minimum).

Another option is IPI material specifically for that purpose. Check the link below:

http://www.inoplas.com/products/lasershop/lasertuff.asp

Michael Hunter
04-22-2010, 6:50 PM
Thanks Guys!

My distributor sent me a sample of Rowmark 422 which looked great (very smooth, high gloss), but it was obviously made for rotary as the cap was very thick. I gave it a go, but could not get a good result with one pass. There's not enough profit in switch panels to mess about doing multiple passes (and I don't have facilities for painting).

I wasn't offered the LaserMax 922 - don't know why, but I will ask.

The IPI stuff sounds good - my distributor also claims to stock some IPI so I will ask for a sample of that too.

I have enough Multigraph for another couple of months, so there is time to get in samples and experiment as neccessary.

Thanks again.