PDA

View Full Version : For the steam bending enthusiasts

Jay Jolliffe
04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
How long do you keep the steamed pieces in the form. I read in one article that 45 to 60 min's is enough & another book said over night. What I'm bending is 6- 1/8"x3" cherry strips into about a 4" radius.....

David DeCristoforo
04-21-2010, 12:45 PM
If I'm reading that right, you are steaming 1/8" thick 3" wide strips. Wood that thin should be bendable in about 15 - 20 minutes. Make a few extras and test them. They should be able to bend easily or they need more time. It's not an exact science! BTW, cherry steam bends like a dream...

PS Strips that are that wide and only 1/8" thick will have a tendency to cup. You will want to be sure to have a strap (preferably steel) or a two piece form to keep them flat until they are dry.

Glen Butler
04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe premium cherry - the more heartwood - bends like a dream, but closer to sapwood is a real hit or miss. Some peices bent beautifully, some just broke apart like mdf. Make extra pieces, have a good form, and you should be fine.

David DeCristoforo
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
"...Some peices bent beautifully, some just broke apart like mdf..."

I think that's true of any species. It's all part and parcel of the whole steam bending schtick. All part of the fun and adventure....

Rob Woodman
04-21-2010, 1:14 PM
With pieces as thin as 1/8th (3mm) they will dry out in the former fairly quickly, the heat aids this, while for the glueing up stage it is often better to let the glue do its job overnight. Many glues take 8 to 12 hours to maximise their bonding strength, so to leave them this long will reduce 'spring back' even if you allowed a tolerance in the former stage.

Jay Jolliffe
04-21-2010, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the answers. What I wanted to know is when they are clamped in the form out of the steam box how long do they stay in the form.I did one set over night & they turned out great. Do I have to wait overnight for the second set. I am pre bending them then I'm going to glue them then back in the form & clamped over night.

Van Huskey
04-21-2010, 3:57 PM
I am conservative but always leave them clamped overnight or 8 full hours if I get them clamped in the AM. It would also be impacted by the type and amount of glue you use.

Rod Sheridan
04-22-2010, 9:09 AM
I always left them overnight in the form, not because I have any insight into it, rather that was a convenient time frame when fitting it in between job/family.

I haven't had a problem with the 24 hour span........Regards, Rod.