PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Craftsman Planer

Stew Hagerty
04-21-2010, 9:55 AM
I am looking at getting a Benchtop Planer. I have, of course considered the DW 735. I know it would be an excellent choice. However, I am just setting up a home workshop for the first time in many years and want as many tools as I can get for my budget. That said, I am also considering the Craftsman 12 1/2" Planer #21758
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921758000P#reviewsWrap
It regularly sells for $279 and can often be purchased on sale for even less. According to their website, after 27 reviews it has a 4.5/5.0 rating. While I'm sure it is not as good as the DeWalt, for the difference I can get a decent bench sander. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this tool.

glenn bradley
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
My primary area of concern here would be the lack of a carriage lock. You can find many posts here from folks who have abandoned similar machines as they just can't get consistent, reliable performance from them.

I am all for getting the most bang for your buck and the DW 735 has gotten priced way too high IMHO. My dad has one and it is a beautiful little beast but, he paid about $350 at a show back when they were about $450 (which was getting pretty high already). I went with the 734 and have been happy with it but I believe it has gotten high also.

None of this really helps you other than to recommend against a machine of that design that does not lock the carriage. JMHO, others opinions will vary. Good luck and enjoy the hunt (its half the fun).

Chris Kennedy
04-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I would avoid a machine without a carriage lock myself. I have the DW734, and I like it. More than the Craftsman, but cheaper than the 735.

Chris

Nathan Callender
04-21-2010, 9:51 PM
Ditto on the carriage lock. I have the ridgid tp1300 with a carriage lock and the few times I've forgotten to engage it, I have gotten snipe.