PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshave Newby

Tom Winship
04-21-2010, 8:38 AM
I sprung some of my birthday $$ to buy a Lee Valley low angle spokeshave. Received it Tuesday evening and went to work making a walkng stick to use after my recent hip replacement surgery. Had a piece of mesquite that I had junked making a back leg for a Maloof inspired rocker. It has a couple of curves in it, but started rounding it and was I surprised at how well the SS worked in the hands of a newby. I have a pile of shavings knee deep.
Hand tools are so addicting aren't they?
Tom

Prashun Patel
04-21-2010, 8:47 AM
Oh yes they are.
I'm glad you love yr spokeshave. I have a Lee Valley low angle contour plane that functions similarly. Some handtool experiences are such poetry, I often wonder why man invented electricity... ;)

jerry nazard
04-21-2010, 3:15 PM
Some handtool experiences are such poetry, I often wonder why man invented electricity... ;)

So you can clean up your mess of shavings with a shop-vac. I thought everybody knew that....:rolleyes:

Tom Winship
04-21-2010, 5:21 PM
Except the shavings from the spokeshave won't go up the shop vac hose. So I had to invent somthing made from straw to sweep them up with. Think I am going to put a long handle on it.

Brent Ring
04-21-2010, 5:27 PM
But they will go into a dust collector!

jerry nazard
04-21-2010, 5:48 PM
Except the shavings from the spokeshave won't go up the shop vac hose. So I had to invent somthing made from straw to sweep them up with. Think I am going to put a long handle on it.

Good idea. Why don't you call it a "Broom". You can sweep the shavings up, grind them into sawdust, pour them back onto the floor, and THEN suck them up with the electric shop-vac. Simple. Even a caveman could do it. :)

Jeff Skory
04-21-2010, 11:59 PM
I hear you Tom. I had a metal Stanley spokeshave which I thought was pretty cool and then I bought an old wooden in an auction for $10 or so. It is so much fun!! I now have a real hankering for spending money on a new wooden one and just making spindles (or walking sticks) for hours on end. :D

Eric Brown
04-22-2010, 6:29 PM
Perhaps if you have the time you can glue the shavings edge-to-edge an make veneer with it!

Personally I till my shavings into the garden.

Eric

James Scheffler
04-22-2010, 7:59 PM
Personally I till my shavings into the garden.

Eric

Wood shavings are awesome as an additive to compost. They absorb excess moisture and keep the mixture "fluffy" while it composts, so air can penetrate into the pile. I try to recycle shavings that way instead of filling up my shop-vac bags. :)

Prashun Patel
04-22-2010, 8:32 PM
Eric-
You must have very good soil in yr garden if yr wood chips don't hurt yr plants. When wood decomposes, it robs the soil of nitrogen. Wood makes a good mulch - and a decent additive to compost, but not a good soil additive by itself.

Walnut can be poisonous to plants, though, so I wouldn't compost that.