PDA

View Full Version : Progress on a neander project

Alan Turner
11-15-2004, 2:34 PM
This was a weekend of neandering on a reproduction piece I have been building since late August, a John Townsend Newport Kneehole Desk. The original is in the RISD museum. There will be 4 carved shells, 3 on the top drawer front and one on the kneehole door. I am deviating from the original in material respects with regard to certain construction details and materials, but not otherwise. For example, the drawer parts are hard maple, not pine. The top is with lapped DT stringers, and the top screwed to them, as opposed to a full sliding DT, where I saw potential problems over time, both in terms of assembly, and possible rough handling. The drawer sides on the gallery drawers are of quatersawn sycamore, not pine, per the suggesting of Steve Wargo (I liked the suggestion, and has some laying around).

The work at this time, as I near completion, was focused on building the top drawer and gallery, and gluing up and doing the final fitting of the principal drawers.

The top “drawer” is really a drop front writing surface, with gallery and very small drawers. The top “drawer” has vertical grain sides, DT’ed top and bottom. All hand cut.

The dividers in the gallery are 3/16" thickness, which was achieved with electrons, followed by hand planing. But, the dados for the gallery dividers were cut by hand, with a marking knife and Stanley No. 71 router plane with a 1/8" cutter, and the joinery, all 30 degree angles, were cut with a block as a guide and a paring chisel, both in terms of the “tenon” and the “mortise.”

The small drawers were all hand cut/carved (for the blockfront aspects) and hand DT’d.

I decided to forego the drawer locks on the main drawers since my bride and I decided we would rather have a thief take the contents of the desk than break it open. This permitted me to glue up the 6 main drawers and do final fitting without having to leave them apart, awaiting hardware.

It was a day with the planes and chisels. Have I mentioned that I am addicted to the process of making drawers?

I am having a great time on this project. It is part of a class, which I took in order to learn carving. This is why the 4 shells are not yet done; I am a bit ahead of the class. (Too much free time?) The base is heavily carved, although some electrons were used as well. The wood is mahogany.

Dave Anderson NH
11-15-2004, 3:07 PM
It looks like a great job so far and I'm sure you're having fun with it. Thanks for the reminder though, I'd forgotten I'd promised to send you measured drawing elevations of a Goddard-Townsend shell. I'll take care of it tonite. I just stuffed a note in my pocket to remind me. Have you decided yey on the finished color ofothe mahogany?

Dan Moening
11-15-2004, 3:22 PM
Very fine work there, Alan.

You can always add simple escutcheons to the drawers. Gives the impression of a lock without the entire lockset.

What is it about the process of drawer making?
I enjoy it as well....even though it is a part of a larger whole, completing a drawer has its own singular satisfactions.

Bob Smalser
11-15-2004, 3:24 PM
Lovely work.

Roger Myers
11-15-2004, 3:34 PM
Looking great Alan....keep those project pics coming! I'd especially like to see progress pics of the shell carvings..it's great to see them evolve....
Roger

Alan Turner
11-15-2004, 3:38 PM
Dan,
In the original, the escutcheons are part of the plate behind the bale. I will locate the handles so that I can retro fit the locks if I canage my mind.

I like making drawers because:
1. There is nothing like the feel of opening a properly made wooden drawer. It is like silk in its smoothness.
2. Few people make a drawer that is wonderful, so it is a matter of much price.
3. A properly made and fitted drawer will last an awfully long time.
4. A drawer, to be perfect, must be fitted by hand. The drawer sides must be proud of the bottom of the drawer front by the same amount as the clearance at the top of the drawer, in spring and fall.
5. Closing a well made drawer gives a satisfying "whoosh" that people do not associate with flatulence, whereas most of my other activies are associated therewith.
Alan

Alan Turner
11-15-2004, 3:47 PM
Dave,

I will darken the wood, of course. Brown on the red side.

I plan to experiment with a water and lime mixture, and will probably use some dyes to adjust the tone. The lime water process is used by Rob Millard, who does wonderful Federal period work. He sent me an email note on the details, so I will practice a bit before turning to this piece as there are many hours here invested.

If that doesn't suit my taste, then I might go with potasium dichromate. That will teach people not to eat my stuff. I have used it once before, on some exterior storm doors for the home, and color was a very nice reddish brown. In 5 years there has been no color leaching, as there would be with dyes. PD is definitely outside work, however, and it is not the time of year for such activities. I am trying to finish this by Christmas. We shall see. I am still waiting for the hinges, and won't carve the drawer front until I have the hinges mounted and working properly since I don't want to have to carve the shells twice. The weight is carried on the two iron hinges, and a rabbet in the drawer bottom.

Alan

Thanks for recalling the shells.
Alan

Tyler Howell
11-15-2004, 4:03 PM
Bravo Bravo!

Wow Allen! I think you set the bare too high this time.:cool:

Michael Stafford
11-15-2004, 4:11 PM
Beautiful work! I hope you will continue to post progress pics...

Zahid Naqvi
11-15-2004, 4:30 PM
Real neat work, Alan.

Alan Turner
11-15-2004, 4:32 PM
Here are few more progress pix.
The first is from the top drawer glue up, and the second just gluing up a regualr drawer.
On the first, the cauls are 2x2 white oak, with a 1/4" strip of Paulownia covered with packing tape, and on the regualr drawer glue up the caus is just plain 1x1 paulownia, with packing tape. This wood is so soft that the tails are pressed well into or below the pins, without the need to cut a special caul for each set of DT's.

On the first pix you can see the 3/16" dados for the gallery dividers. Pretty obvious whi I resisted the use of a router in this circumstance. One slip, and it is off to repair land.

Alan

Dan Moening
11-15-2004, 6:02 PM
2. Few people make a drawer that is wonderful, so it is a matter of much price.

And pride as well, I'm sure. :D;)

Erin Raasch
11-15-2004, 6:37 PM
Alan,

That is truly beautiful work and gives me something to aspire to. I especially like the contours of the drawer fronts - I bet they were fun to make :)

Erin

Steve Wargo
11-15-2004, 7:11 PM
I once read a post on another forum from a woodworker (semi-pro) who stated, that pressure fitting drawers was nothing more than a way of showing off and served little pupose since they always needed to be fettled after the the piece had sat for a few months. I simply feel that he has no idea how to fit a drawer. It's all about the "Swoosh"! The piece is coming excellent, and I'm glad that the QS Sycamore worked so well for you.

Pam Niedermayer
11-15-2004, 7:31 PM
Alan! Great piece, a real tour de force. Who would have thought.... :)

I once read a post on another forum from a woodworker (semi-pro) who stated, that pressure fitting drawers was nothing more than a way of showing off and served little pupose since they always needed to be fettled after the the piece had sat for a few months. I simply feel that he has no idea how to fit a drawer. It's all about the "Swoosh"! ...

You ignore Adam Cherubini at your own peril, he's a great woodworker.

Pam

Steve Wargo
11-15-2004, 7:47 PM
I didn't name names, and was only stating an opinion with my entire post. My intention wasn't to call him out as being a poor craftsman or I would have mentioned him by name. I was trying to be as professional as possible and was simply trying to stress the fact that there is nothing as sweet as the sound of a perfectly fit drawer. Perhaps my opening statement wasn't needed, but it did support the rest of my topic and without mentioning anyone by name. Also please note that I only sumerized the statement from another forum and didn't quote him. Please don't make me out to be the bad guy here.

Joel Moskowitz
11-15-2004, 8:32 PM
Alan,
Great to see how it is coming along - really nice work!

Mark Singer
11-15-2004, 9:28 PM
Alan,

You continue to out do yourself..... Great project! Nice description of drawers. Fine, fine crafstmanship... A beautiful piece in the making... This is one for all to see and admire!

Alan Turner
11-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all of the nice remarks, guys. This piece is providing me much pleasure. It is not a commission, but will live in our home.

Dan, that was a typo, of course. If I made drawers like I type, they either wouldn't close, or would just fall out from being so loose.

Erin,
The drawers are pretty standard blockfront fare, as I see it from observation, although this is my first blockfront. The drawer fronts critical dimensions, the sides on the outies, and the center on the innies, are established on the TS. Then a bit of planing, and carving the curve. Carving is what this project is all about to me in terms of learning.
Note the front bracket fee, which are also carved. I could not have done a blockfront without learning to carve becuase of the base. There are probably electric solutions to the drawerfronts, but not for the feet.
Alan