PDA

View Full Version : Got an easy rougher look-alike

Mark Burge
04-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Got this off the 'bay the other day. Pretty good price and less than I could have made it myself for. Used it to rough out a bowl this past weekend and it performed pretty good. I've never used a real easy rougher so I don't have anything to compare to, but I was pleased. I'll probably need some recommendations on suppliers of carbide tips fairly soon. I hope that this will get me going faster on roughing out some of that cherry burl I got a while back. Thanks for looking at my mini gloat:D

John Keeton
04-21-2010, 6:21 AM
Nice setup, Mark! Looks like a golf club handle - neat idea.

Harvey M. Taylor
04-21-2010, 8:25 AM
Since I couldnt afford the real thing, I bought a look-alike from a guy here for 35.00. I located inserts for about a buck apiece in units of 10.Now the chips are aflyin'. Max

Fred Perreault
04-21-2010, 8:36 AM
Harvey, where did you locate the inserts?
Thanks

bob svoboda
04-21-2010, 8:43 AM
Looks like a good tool. I recently bought a second hand Ci1and made my own handle. I can't believe how it speeds up the roughing process! Don't know how I lived without it!

Gary Herrmann
04-21-2010, 8:45 AM
That looks like an insert for a Byrd head. I haven't seen them for a buck a piece, but you can try Holbren or the Byrd site and see if they look like they match. Either one would probably also give you dimensions of their cutters.

Paul Douglass
04-21-2010, 9:46 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get them from Grizzly or the Little Machine Shop or Woodchuck Pro. I have two of the Woodchuck Pro tool and they are great.

Bill Bolen
04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Fine looking tool. But...be very careful with that round shaft! The Ci tools are square shaft and intended to sit square on the tool rest. Tilting the large cutter might not be a good idea...Bill..

Bob Bergstrom
04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Fine looking tool. But...be very careful with that round shaft! The Ci tools are square shaft and intended to sit square on the tool rest. Tilting the large cutter might not be a good idea...Bill..
I agree. That round shaft could lead to some exciting times if a corner catches. Might have to grind a flat on the bottom, but that still won't be as stable as a square shaft.

Mike McAfee
04-21-2010, 2:56 PM
I made my own and YES round stock can provide an interesting ride if you don't pay attention to the blade orientation!

That golf club handle would not give me enough grip but making a larger handle would be a snap!

Have fun but be careful!

MMc

Mark Burge
04-21-2010, 4:00 PM
Nice setup, Mark! Looks like a golf club handle - neat idea.
Yep, that's a golf club handle. I wasn't sure about it when I started bidding, but it seems to work. The grip is pretty good, but I think I might like a larger diameter handle for control.

Since I couldnt afford the real thing, I bought a look-alike from a guy here for 35.00. I located inserts for about a buck apiece in units of 10.Now the chips are aflyin'. Max
$38.30 and I had to bid in the last minute to get it.

I made my own and YES round stock can provide an interesting ride if you don't pay attention to the blade orientation!
Bill & Mike: Yes, the round stock has already been a source of grabs, mostly when I was finishing a cut and wasn't paying attention as I pulled the tool out. On the other hand, I can incline the blade and make a kind of sheer cut if I want to clean up an outside curve a bit without changing to my bowl gouge. I wondered about making some sort of flat guide like the ones that come with the Sorby spiraling tool.

Thank's for the comments and suggestions.

Doug Thompson
04-21-2010, 4:25 PM
That product was on the market long before Craigs. He was the first that I know of to produce a carbide tool.

Brian Gumpper
04-21-2010, 8:28 PM
That looks like an insert for a Byrd head. I haven't seen them for a buck a piece, but you can try Holbren or the Byrd site and see if they look like they match. Either one would probably also give you dimensions of their cutters.

That cutter looks perfectly square. The Byrd cutters have a large 4" radius on them so the corners don't dig in with the shear angle. I wonder if a radius would help in this application but not being a turner, can't really say for sure.