PDA

View Full Version : Versalaser Alignment Feature

Matt Bernhard
04-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Has anyone used the alignment feature under the UCP System tab? I would like to know how it works.

Thanks!

Dan Hintz
04-21-2010, 6:07 AM
No idea what you're talking about... though I don't have the latest driver, so that option may not be available to me.

Scott Shepherd
04-21-2010, 8:25 AM
Dan, it's not new, it's been in there from the beginning.

I've used it a number of times. What's the question?

It's basically a number of points on the table, you take the lens out, put tape over the hole on the side of that assembly, bring the position to the top left, set your burn power way down, and your time on way down (1 or 2 seconds), and you close the door and activate it. You're trying to get a slight burn mark in the tape. Then you select another position on the table, it'll be farther way so you'll up the power or up the burn time, you do it again and see where that mark is in relation to the first mark.

If the burn marks don't line up, you adjust the #3 mirror (I think it's called #3), on the left hand side of the machine. Recheck it all, if it's right, it's aligned. If it's not right, you keep tweaking it until it lines up across the table. You are using the red dot pointer as a reference when you're moving it.

Dan Hintz
04-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Oh, that...

Mike Mackenzie
04-21-2010, 9:49 PM
Scott once again is correct with one change it is the #2 mirror that gets adjusted for the beam alignment. Do not always trust that the red diode is in the same spot as the laser and when checking the alignment it is better to use consistent power across the field. 4% power for 3-4 seconds. and adjust the power up until you get the light burn at the farthest distance.

Then move to your four corners and adjust from top right to top left, then check it in the lower corners.

There are three adjustment screws on the back of the #2 mirror the top screw on the right is for UP/DOWN adjustment The lower left screw is for LEFT/RIGHT adjustment. Do not turn the lower right screw this is how it pivots and if you loosen it you could have issues.

Scott Shepherd
04-22-2010, 8:07 AM
Scott once again is correct with one change it is the #2 mirror that gets adjusted for the beam alignment. Do not always trust that the red diode is in the same spot as the laser and when checking the alignment it is better to use consistent power across the field. 4% power for 3-4 seconds. and adjust the power up until you get the light burn at the farthest distance.

Then move to your four corners and adjust from top right to top left, then check it in the lower corners.

There are three adjustment screws on the back of the #2 mirror the top screw on the right is for UP/DOWN adjustment The lower left screw is for LEFT/RIGHT adjustment. Do not turn the lower right screw this is how it pivots and if you loosen it you could have issues.

Thanks for correcting that Mike! One thing I will add is that the pdf instructions ULS will send you for this have you moving the screw Mike says do not touch. I adjusted that screw and had some other issues, called into tech support and they told me I should never have touched that screw. I explained it told me to in their instructions. I ended up having to send them the instructions they sent me to prove it said to move the screw they said don't touch. They may have fixed that now, but I can tell you that they have a tech support document for doing it. If you call them, they will probably send you the instructions.

Dan Hintz
04-22-2010, 11:37 AM
I ended up having to send them the instructions they sent me to prove it said to move the screw they said don't touch.
Do what I mean, not what I say... ;)

Dave Johnson29
04-22-2010, 1:35 PM
you take the lens out

Why take the lens out?

Mike Mackenzie
04-22-2010, 3:27 PM
Dave,

on these systems the lens and # 3 mirror are on one plate if you leave it in when checking alignment you will burn a hole through the tape and get debris onto the mirror. Also you only want to check the alignment not shoot the beam through the mirror and lens.

Your old system is different with the way the optics are so you would not need to remove the lens to check alignment although it would be better if you did.