PDA

View Full Version : teak bath vanities

scott vroom
04-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Here are a few pics of the 2 vanities we made for our customer as part of a bathroom remodel. The basalt vessel sink is to the left of the shower, the makeup vanity is to the right. We're in the process of building custom teak wood framed mirrors for both vanities, a teak medicine cabinet on the right side of the sink vanity, and built-in teak and glass shelving insert to the right of the makeup vanity. My son and I operate a kit/bath remodel business and have begun incorporating our own woodwork pieces into our designs (one less subcontractor to pay!).

The teak is finished with teak oil.

Scott

Joe Shinall
04-20-2010, 11:35 PM
Wow! They're so good I can't even see em! :D

Sorry, but no pics

Leo Graywacz
04-20-2010, 11:36 PM
No Pics showing Scott.

scott vroom
04-21-2010, 3:28 PM
Sorry about that....pics added to original post.

Thanks!

Dennis Lopeman
04-21-2010, 4:10 PM
That is sweet, Scott!

I'll have to remember who you are so I can pound you with Shower Tiling questions!! LOL

I wanna redo my master bath and take the insert out... I've read a little and tucked away back in the head for later. It seems to be tricky on the floor part and the cement consistency...

scott vroom
04-21-2010, 6:30 PM
Thanks Dennis. Will you be doing a tub shower or stall shower? Building your own shower pan is technically challanging but if you're handy you can do it. In my opinion, the nicest showers are those with stone or tile floors (as opposed to a plastic pan insert). John Bridge Forum is an excellent resource for all things tile (including how to construct your own shower pan). You'll need to sign in to post, then start a project thread and you'll get sound advice from professionals and moderators that will hand hold you through your project (I don't profit from this site).

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have once you get started.

Dennis Lopeman
04-21-2010, 10:29 PM
cool - thx

I am taking the stall out and giong to tile the whole things, floor and walls.

after I finish about 40 other projects!! LOL

Eric DeSilva
04-21-2010, 10:30 PM
That is really stunning. I like the balance of wood and stone, the simplicity of it, and the asymmetric touch. Really nice aesthetic.

I think, if it were my bathroom, I would have gone a bit larger scale with the light fixture... Maybe even a hanging pendant with art glass or something...

scott vroom
04-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks Eric. I tend to agree about the light, although the chrome sconces are an attractive design in bright chrome. The customer picked out the lighting - she wanted something understated and "spa like".

We purchased the teak today for the 2 vanity mirrors & 2 medicine cabinets. Before we're done we'll have spent close to $1,000 on hardwood. It would have been even more but we were able to purchase all the wood from the "shorts" bin at @ $20/ft instead of the normal $30.