PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10-325 or Grizzly G0457? Lord help me.

Dan Karachio
04-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Perhaps my last ever bandsaw post (yea right). Plus, I haven't seen this comparison asked about directly, so what the heck. I have been sooooooo close to getting the Rikon, but I keep holding back. Now that I have an electrician coming buy for a big house rewire (price would buy two Laguna 14" 3000 SUV's easy - darn old knob and tube wiring!) adding 220 in the old basement shop is a drop in the bucket. I know, I know, many of you will tell me to go to a 17", BUT my ceilings are low and 75 1/2" is the limit in a BS height I can manage. It simply will not fit. There is no 17" that will fit. A 14" will be fine for the limits in space and what I want to do.

So:
Rikon 10-325: 13" resaw, 1.5 hp, mediocre fence, Popular Woodworking pick.
45 minute drive to Woodcraft.
Grizzly G0457: 10" resaw, 2 hp, great fence, Fine Woodworking pick.
2 hour drive to Muncey, PA

Brendan Plavis
04-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Well, ask yourself: Are you going to resaw anything over 10"? Thats the key to the puzzle...

Just out of curiousity, are those both fitted with Risers, or is that before riser(yea right... :) ) But never know....)

Ron Kellison
04-20-2010, 10:44 PM
You don't mention prices but I would go for the Grizzly. I've looked it over extensively (in the Muncy showroom) and it's a solid, well-built machine. It should do everything you would want to do in a non-commercial shop.

Regards,

Ron

Dan Karachio
04-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Brendan, I don't really know! I want to do both curve cutting and resawing with probably more of the former. If I ever build the Morris Chair here, I only need 6-7" resaw! :D

Neither have riser blocks - they are both European style steel frames.

Brendan Plavis
04-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I concur......

If worst comes to worst later on, you could always pay to have a piece of steel/cast iron welded into the throat. Simple cut in half, weld (x)inch piece into it, weld it back together... repaint...

Joe Wiliams
04-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Those are the same two saw i'm considering. I've been going back and forth between the two along with the G0555X. The Rikon has a slight lead at the moment. In addition to what has been stated the Rikon has a larger table, light, two speeds. Grizzly has a larger motor, and very well known customer service presence.

Luckily i'm not quite ready to purchase yet, unless one of them goes on sale:D.

Van Huskey
04-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Honestly, that is a tough one. I think you have to look for the one deal breaker OR just make a pro con list. For me personally the 10" resaw would be the killer. It seems like pretty much every nice piece of wood I find to resaw is in the 12-14" range. However, my rule of thumb is 1hp per 6" of resaw (you can get by with less but I don't want to have to wait forever) so the Rikon is under-powered for the resaw capability and the Griz is over powered on MY scale. Given you seem to be buying local so no shipping (but tax) the Griz is around $130 more. In the end based on the reviews I would get the Rikon and use the extra cash for blades and maybe a Carter stabilizer or other useful accessories.

Jeff Willard
04-21-2010, 6:51 AM
You didn't mention price as a major deciding factor-can you swing a little more? Laguna has the LT14 3000 on sale right now for $1100. Of course you'll have to pay shipping, but you'll get 14" resaw cap, a full 2HP, and it has the Laguna ceramic guides.

Dan Karachio
04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Jeff, I saw that price too, but I have a few issues. First, I have spoken with Laguna and also from what I see posted here, they are kind of sleazy and too slick to really trust. Honestly, what fools - you make the best tools then risk it all with pushy fast talking sales people. I may be able to get over that, but my next issue is how to get a 300-400 assembled bandsaw down a flight of narrow steps to my basement shop (sort of an outdoor cellar door). Third, just how much is shipping? $300? That makes things tough.

Lance Norris
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Dan, I have the 457 and its an excellent bandsaw. Ive had it since 2006 and it has done everything I have asked of it, including resawing to the 10" capacity. I think its a great choice and you wont be unhappy if its the one that ends up in your shop.

glenn bradley
04-21-2010, 10:57 AM
The 457 is the same height as the G0513's so there goes your height argument against a 17". So, now whadda ya gonna do? ;-)

Rod Sheridan
04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Jeff, I saw that price too, but I have a few issues. First, I have spoken with Laguna and also from what I see posted here, they are kind of sleazy and too slick to really trust. Honestly, what fools - you make the best tools then risk it all with pushy fast talking sales people. I may be able to get over that, but my next issue is how to get a 300-400 assembled bandsaw down a flight of narrow steps to my basement shop (sort of an outdoor cellar door). Third, just how much is shipping? $300? That makes things tough.

Hi, getting it down the stairs shouldn't be a problem, there are two ways.

1) remove the table and cast iron band wheels to lighten it, move it down with an appliance dolly.

2) if it's nicely crated, lay it ou its back and slide it down a couple of 2 X 6's to the basement.

Personally I used option 1 for a 17" bandsaw move into my townhouse basement.

Regards, Rod.

Dan Karachio
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Rod, thank you for that. Question, don't you need a puller for bandsaw wheels? Don't worry, I will call Laguna (as much as it pains me to deal with their fast talking pushy slickness). My luck, it will rain the day a saw like that would be delivered.

Glen, you are right, but that is the ONLY 17" under 75" and I would want the higher end Grizzly's with the iron trunions... and they are all 80" (I actually remember all of this).

Rod Sheridan
04-21-2010, 1:18 PM
Rod, thank you for that. Question, don't you need a puller for bandsaw wheels? Don't worry, I will call Laguna (as much as it pains me to deal with their fast talking pushy slickness). My luck, it will rain the day a saw like that would be delivered.

Glen, you are right, but that is the ONLY 17" under 75" and I would want the higher end Grizzly's with the iron trunions... and they are all 80" (I actually remember all of this).

Dan, on my saw the wheels came off with steady hand pressure, no puller required.

regards, Rod.

Neil Brooks
04-21-2010, 1:26 PM
NO WAY you'll get out of Muncey for less than two grand ;)

Good luck. Sounds like a can't lose proposition !

Tom Esh
04-21-2010, 2:02 PM
I faced the exact same choice a couple yrs ago and settled on the G0457. No regrets (and probably would have had none with the Rikon either). I think the final "nudge" was no shipping (and potential damage from yet another transport leg) with the Griz.
The resaw fence is terrific. 2hp is more than enough, but since the motor has never gotten warm to the touch even with prolonged resawing, I tend to think hp difference between the two is practically a non-issue. Same with the resaw height unless you have a 10"+ jointer.

glenn bradley
04-21-2010, 2:07 PM

I am not trying to push you in a direction but, for the sake of correctness: I have an "X" but all 513's use the same frame. It is about 73" from the bottom of the base to the top of the frame and about 76" if the tension handle is in the released (up) position. So, you would have a mark on your ceiling from releasing tension and putting it on wheels would pretty much be out. This would not be the first time Grizzly dimensions in the catalog and online were off due to some pages using actual dimensions and some using shipping crate dimensions. Maybe the 457 isn't really that tall either(?). Maybe Tom or Lance could confirm the actual height of the 457 (including the height with the handle released(?).

We now return you to your normal broadcast :D.

Tom Esh
04-21-2010, 2:38 PM
...Maybe Tom or Lance could confirm the actual height of the 457 (including the height with the handle released(?).

On the SF mobile base - about 74 1/4" to the top of the tension knob. The release lever's arc is well below that.

glenn bradley
04-21-2010, 2:49 PM
On the SF mobile base - about 74 1/4" to the top of the tension knob. The release lever's arc is well below that.

Well done Tom. What a great forum ;-)

Dan Karachio
04-21-2010, 5:30 PM
Glenn thanks! I was confused why all but one of those 17"s were listed at 80". I suppose I can't really blame them because not many people really need to know the height, but a little attention to detail would help!

So, now, in true SMC fashion, by posting my dilemma between two saws I am now facing a dilemma among 5,6,7 or more saws. Thanks guys! I really appreciate this! :D

Dan Karachio
04-21-2010, 5:32 PM
P.S. Laguna says don't bother with the 3000 14 and get the 14" SUV. With freight and all it is now upward of 1800. I am certain I would love the thing to death, but that is real money in my book. I can't justify it for myself.