PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Spindle Sander

Lance Norris
04-20-2010, 9:43 PM
Ive wanted a spindle sander for quite some time now. I dont have the space for a floor standing unit, so a benchtop is what I need. I know everyone who owns the Ridgid gives it good reviews. I have a large stationary belt/disc sander, so the Ridgids belt feature doesnt really matter to me. Ive been disappointed by recent comments that the newer Ridgids are starting to rely on more plastic construction. I really want the Jet benchtop, but dont want to spend that much cash. The Craftsman comes with a 3" drum and sleeve(most only come with up to 2") and has an induction motor. Does anyone have the Craftsman, and will you recommend it? Tom Hintz(NewWoodworker.com) has a review and gives it good comments...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921500000P?keyword=21500&sLevel=0

Jeffrey Makiel
04-24-2010, 6:23 PM
Hi Lance,
I don't have the Sears' spindle sander, but at least I'll restack your post. :)

I like the fact that the Sears sander has a 3" spindle. I find that I use this size spindle the most in either my drill press or Jet benchtop spindle sander.

Looking at the pic and specs, it appears that the table top does not tilt. It's not an often used feature, but it's sure nice to have when needed.

For $300 bucks, you're not far away from the Jet. In fact, Jet is about due for another blow out sale on their machinery. I like the Jet because it's all-metal construction including cast iron top. It's a bit tall for a 'benchtop', so I made a small mobile cart that has storage for all the sanding drums. Also, the 3" spindle and table insert is additional.

Lastly, I look at Sears' stuff with a jaundice eye. I simply had too many disappointments with a variety of their products.

-Jeff :)

Bruce Page
04-24-2010, 8:11 PM
Lance, have you looked at the Delta BOSS?
It's proven (love mine), great dust collection with a vac attached, and $50 cheaper at Amazon.

Callan Campbell
04-24-2010, 9:07 PM
Lance, one thought about a spindle sander. Check the size/length of the sleeves to see how common they are. Some of the sleeve lengths are different from machine to machine, and you won't always find that particular sleeve on a store shelf when you need it if you run out. Small belts for belt sanders are way more common and seem to be stocked by everyone. I believe my benchtop Jet uses longer sleeves than is common when you start to research this at a place like Klingspor. If your Sears is better than mine are about stocking the needed sleeves and belts to keep their own sanders going, then this shouldn't be a problem.[ They'll sell you the tool, but never stock all the items to keep it usable!:mad:]
One more thing to consider with your purchase;)

Callan Campbell
04-24-2010, 9:24 PM
OK, looked it over via your link. That's a small motor on the machine. Stroke is 1" travel, so that's a plus. The sleeve length does appear to be the common 4 1/2" size, so that's also a plus. No tilting table, but you may not need that feature. With a light hand so as not to stall the motor, it might work for alot of people. Can you return it easily if after one or two tries at it, it just didn't meet your expectations? Otherwise, add a bit more money for the Jet, or try to buy a used Jet on Craigslist or e-Bay. Or the Delta like another poster suggested. There's probably a larger chance of a used Delta going around since the machine was popular and many more have been sold over the years.
Since I don't know how the Sear's machines stroke mechanism is made, I can't add more to this. Some of the smaller, less expensive spindle sanders have worn-out quickly on people due to weak assemblies that use plastic gearing or something like that to create the spindle movement.

Lance Norris
04-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Well...I decided to buy the General International benchtop. Right now, everyone is out of stock on the Jet, unless you want one for $700. The General seems to be exactly the same as the Jet, except for a different style base. I dont think I would have been happy with the Craftsman, even thought it may have been a fine machine. I would have kept thinking I should have spent a little more for the Jet or the General. So... now we wait for the UPS man...

Terry Welty
04-25-2010, 6:31 AM
Sounds like you've made up your mind... I have the Ridgid, I also have a Craftsman belt and disk sander... I thought the Ridgid Belt sander wouldn't be used as I already had the delegated belt sander with my Craftsman... BUT, the oscillating action of the Ridgid does such a better job than the other sander, I always use the Ridgid and the Craftsman sander never get used. But, if you want to spend more money on a unit with a smaller table and less flexibility... I guess that's good too!

Jeffrey Makiel
04-25-2010, 8:26 AM
The General International sander seems like a pretty stout unit.
-Jeff :)