PDA

View Full Version : Rolling pin price?

Randy Gazda
04-20-2010, 9:13 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum, not new to turning. I have been turning some rolling pins and selling some. However, I am curious if anyone else sells similar pins and what they charge? I am not looking to make a living at turning but have been trying to cover my costs. Of course if I would stop buying and collecting wood, I wouldn't have so many expenses. LOL!

Richard Madison
04-20-2010, 9:21 PM
Hey Randy, welcome to the forum. Can't help on rolling pin prices but someone here probably can.

David E Keller
04-20-2010, 11:18 PM
Pricing is tough... It depends on your market, cost of materials, and degree of difficulty(segmented woods, detailing, etc). Around here, $25 or 30 would be my guess, but I've never tried turning or selling them.

Reed Gray
04-21-2010, 12:46 AM
I always keep some on hand. I turn sugar maple only, no laminations. A palote (tortilla rolling pin) about 1 1/2 inch diameter and 8 inches long, $15 to $20. A straight cylinder about 2 3/4 by 16 to 18 long about $40. Tapered French style, $40 plus. 3 1/2 by 14, plus solid handles, $60 to $80. If you search rolling pins, they sell for a lot cheaper, but they get the wood for next to nothing, and have machines to do the work.

robo hippy

Randy Gazda
04-21-2010, 6:36 PM
I have been selling some for $20, am I making money yes, it is just the per hour rate is small. I will try to increase my price over time. I don't make or sell that many but it does cover some costs.

Thanks again

Richard Madison
04-21-2010, 7:12 PM
If you are not famous and/or a lightning fast turner, the rate per hour varies from "small" to "barely noticeable" (except maybe for pen turners). I work slowly, so tend to be in the latter category. But as long as my turnings bring in enough $$ to support the "hobby" (and a little extra) it's not a problem.

Joe Adams
04-21-2010, 11:36 PM
How about sharing a picture of your rolling pins? I'd love to see your work!

Patrick Doody
04-21-2010, 11:46 PM
I always keep some on hand. I turn sugar maple only, no laminations. A palote (tortilla rolling pin) about 1 1/2 inch diameter and 8 inches long, $15 to $20. A straight cylinder about 2 3/4 by 16 to 18 long about $40. Tapered French style, $40 plus. 3 1/2 by 14, plus solid handles, $60 to $80. If you search rolling pins, they sell for a lot cheaper, but they get the wood for next to nothing, and have machines to do the work.

robo hippy

Never heard of a Palote before but my better half makes a mean tortilla, so i made her this tonight while i was practicing with my skew.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4541960165_e111e27e61.jpg

Thanks for explaining what it is, I'm going to enjoy "Taco Today", tomorrow.

Randy Gazda
04-22-2010, 7:27 PM
I thought I attached a photo to the original message. Must be getting old. LOL!

Reed Gray
04-23-2010, 12:28 AM
I had a request for a tortilla rolling pin once, and made several of them. Not long after, a Mexican woman came by and commented on the 'palote'. She said it was traditional for fathers to make them for their daughters, and she still had hers. I did a web search for them, and they are out there. A friend said that palote translates some thing like 'a downward stroke'.

robo hippy

Bill Bulloch
04-23-2010, 7:25 AM
Randy, I have sold two 18" Hard Maple and one Cherry rolling pen for $23 each. Your blanks are worth that much, so you'll need to add some labor and profit to the cost of the blank.

I got my blanks off ebay for about six bucks each and about $3 each for shipping, I need to add a little for the Salid Bowl Finish too, and it takes me about an hour to finish one. Boy I work cheap, and without profit. But, it's fun and you have to have something to do with your finished product other than give them away.

Those are nice looking pens you made.