PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump Rebuild Kit $$$$$$$ ??????

Nick Mastropietro
04-20-2010, 7:47 PM
I have been looking over ebay to find a vacuum pump for a chuck system, well I did find one 5cfm, 20" vacuum 110vac. Seems like what I need but I thought the vacuum was a bit low so I began looking for a rebuild kit on the web - hum - pretty hard to find. I did get a hold of one company locally, they want $101.90 for the kit. I was wondering if anyone had a lead with better pricing, if so, I sure would appreciate hearing from you. By the way it's a rocking piston type pump.

Ralph Lindberg
04-21-2010, 9:32 AM
Nick
What brand system?

Nick Mastropietro
04-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Oversight on my part; Gast 72R634. I hope this is enough to help.

Tim Rinehart
04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Why do you think it needs rebuilt? Just curious.

The numbers you provided sound ok to me...I've been using a vacuum chuck for primarily cleaning up bases, using light applications of sharp tools.

Mine is a GAST 522-P335-G509DAX, and it's rated at 4 CFM and 20" Hg, and that's always been quite sufficient for me. Given the extra 1 CFM yours is rated...that gives you a little more wiggle room to deal with leakage too.

I'm not familiar with the 'rocking piston' type, but you may be able to find some info in the GAST website...they have an old bulletin board with various bits of info, but I don't think it's updated anymore.

Also, be sure you filter inlet to the pump to prevent dust from tearing up or clogging internals.

One more thing...check this link out to possibly find some info on the unit you're looking at, or similar. I do a Ctrl-F once in to search (Find) anything starting with the first few characters of model I'm interested in. Often, you won't find exact same model, but will find similar. Gast did A LOT of custom OEM work which makes for many model number variations, but for practical purposes the same unit. I saw at least one note in that discussion board about a 72R rocking piston type being originally for pressure applications...and not ideal for vacuum...so some additional review on that item may be needed.

Good luck. There are some great deals on 220 V pumps out there if you have an outlet for them.