PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Router table

Bobby O'Neal
04-20-2010, 7:15 PM
Does anyone have the RA1181 router table with the adjustable outfeed side of the fence? I'm wondering how well it works for edge jointing. Thanks

Bobby O'Neal

Tom Esh
04-20-2010, 8:33 PM
I used it to joint a few times before getting a jointer. It's certainly better than nothing, but has limitations.
1) Fence has to be set so the outfeed side is in near-perfect alignment with the cutter - just like a jointer outfeed table. On a jointer, that adjustment is typically within a couple thou.
2) The included fence shims are 1/16". IMO that's a lot to hog off with a router bit in a single pass, and generally way more than I ever needed. (Some of the anti-kickback type bits won't even allow 1/16"). Find something thinner and make your own.
3) The fact that it's not as precise as a jointer plus the short fence halves means it really works best with workpieces that aren't more than 2' long or so.

Also larger diamenter cutters are better for this (and definitely 1/2" shank). Something like 3/4" does fine without getting pricey.

Tom Hintz
04-21-2010, 3:44 AM
I have had several router tables with this type of jointing feature in the fence. They do work fairly well but are much like a very short jointer in that the stabilizing surfaces (fence faces) are very short for jointing so the length of the wood being worked with must also be as short as is possible and/or safe. this is a good place for cutting the work pieces down to near the required length actually needed for the project before jointing can make a lot of sense.

Paul Ryan
04-21-2010, 8:33 AM
I ve never jointed with it but as a router table it works well, I havent needed any thing else.

Johnnyy Johnson
04-21-2010, 9:42 AM
The process I use is to get one side flat on the jointer. Then go to the planer and get the board down to the right thickness. Then I put a Clamp and Tool guide on the board and with the original flat side down I run it through the TS to get the sides right. If it is a glue up project, I then put the original flat side down and run it through the shaper with a feeder and straight bit. It does not take me but just a few minutes to set up the shaper. It may not be the best way, but most of the time I can get a great glue up without a lot of clamp pressure. I believe the best way is the way that works best for you.

Keep in mine that when most people hear that you are wanting to use a shaper/router table to edge joint, they just dont seem to hear that you have a straight edge from the TS and just want to tweak the edge for perfection. They assume that you are trying to straighten a board like you would on a large bed Jointer. I would never attemp to edge joint a board on the shaper before I have a straight edge from the TS.

Thanks
JJ

glenn bradley
04-21-2010, 9:44 AM
I used a set of shims designed for this purpose to round out an order to get free shipping , , , I'm not sure where they are but, theoretically this should work for edge jointing.

Tom Stryker
04-21-2010, 9:53 AM
Try Rockler. They have a set of shims for the router table that allow you to make adjustments on the outfeed side in .010" increments. Think they're about $6.00.
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/27328-02-200.jpg
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17189&filter=shims