PDA

View Full Version : Lidded box/Hollow form with finial.

Brian Greb
04-20-2010, 4:01 PM
Here is a project I've worked on for the last 2 days. It's a lidded box with a twist... the lid is a hollow form with finial. I thought it was a unique concept... maybe its not but I like how it turned out. I also did some carving on the bottom half of the "bowl". The project is Black & White Ebony (or "Royal Ebony), and quilted eucalyptus... oh and a little maple accent. It stands 9.25" tall and is 4.5" in diameter.

I have included pictures as follows: Front(looking down), front(head on), separated, bottoms, and carved detail.

As always C&C are welcome.
Thanks for looking
Brian

Tony De Masi
04-20-2010, 4:41 PM
I like that quite a bit Brian. Do the carved figures on the bottom have any significance?

Tony

Brian Greb
04-20-2010, 4:57 PM
I like that quite a bit Brian. Do the carved figures on the bottom have any significance?

Tony

The individual symbols have no meaning on their own but the whole carving is a stylized solar ring... eye of god, or the watcher. Many ancient civilizations made tribute to the sun as a god. I just thought it would look cool on this piece.

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2010, 4:59 PM
Those are some nice turnings. Really like that spalted wood.

John Keeton
04-20-2010, 6:24 PM
Brian, most may not appreciate all of the different steps you went through with this turning - quite an accomplishment!! And, a nice piece of wood, to boot!

David E Keller
04-20-2010, 6:32 PM
Interesting idea and nice execution... It obviously took a lot of work to crank that piece out.

It's a little busy for my taste, but I really appreciate the idea and execution.

Baxter Smith
04-20-2010, 8:41 PM
Like the spalted wood and it looks like it was quite an involved process to complete!

kenneth walker
04-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Very nice. I like how all the pieces come together. Ken

Cathy Schaewe
04-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Pretty piece. What's the finish?

Brian Greb
04-21-2010, 2:33 PM
Pretty piece. What's the finish?

Mylands high build friction polish