PDA

View Full Version : Cermark & tile effects

Dee Gallo
04-20-2010, 2:12 PM
A funny thing happened when I was trying to see how cermark would act on a customer's tile. I sprayed ceramic cermark on the tile lightly (slightly see through) and burned it at the recommended settings. It made a green mark, very permanent.

I then used nothing and burned it at the same settings, 20 speed/50 power and got a white mark, also permanent.

Then I put the cermark on more thickly (not see through) and got a black mark.

This could be useful for making several tones on one tile, yes?

Any lines you see on the tile are from me - I started and stopped the job at the beginning because I didn't wait for it to warm up so one stripe got hit twice. The black mark was uneven from me not spraying, just brushing to test.

I'm not sure what kind of tile this is, he said it is "just ceramic tile", it says made in Italy on the back and is beige colored under the glaze.

Andrea Weissenseel
04-20-2010, 3:32 PM
I agree Dee, funny things happen with Thermark (haven't used cermark, but I don't think there a difference;)) Question is if the results are reproducable and controlable. It's probably because you sprayed it on very lightly. When I use a brush to apply it, and wash out the brush in a jar the water look a bit green, I think they add some green and blue pigments for the black color. With the brownish looking Thermark for glass, you can get different effects by adjusting the power either you get a dark brown or a almost golden look.

Andrea

Dee Gallo
04-20-2010, 6:16 PM
So the customer chose the greenish version, but also wanted the black for making some small insets, so I ended up making another tile. Simple, just letters, but they're very excited about their first house. And $80 per tile to me!

You're right, Andrea, the thickness of application does the trick. Getting it consistently thin or thick is eyeball-dependent.

cheers, dee

Andrea Weissenseel
04-22-2010, 1:47 AM
Dee, did you apply it with airbrush ?

Dee Gallo
04-22-2010, 6:23 AM
Dee, did you apply it with airbrush ?

Yes, airbrush...

And then they wanted another one done. So 3 tiles for what started out as one... yes! The contractor wanted to know if I would work with him on other jobs. I have to remind myself I'm retired. :D:D

Belinda Barfield
04-22-2010, 7:31 AM
Dee, I can't be sure from the picture, but this looks like one of the porcelain blend tiles that hit the market a number of years ago. More durable than ceramic but giving the look of natural stone. I don't know if this information is helpful or not, but thought it might be.

Dee Gallo
04-22-2010, 9:10 AM
Dee, I can't be sure from the picture, but this looks like one of the porcelain blend tiles that hit the market a number of years ago. More durable than ceramic but giving the look of natural stone. I don't know if this information is helpfu or not, but thought it might be.

You are probably correct, oh wise one! The customer's wife said the store told them it was porcelain. It's nice and smooth on the surface.

Good eye!

:) dee

Tom Bull
04-22-2010, 8:25 PM
Nice effect, and nice font, too. What font is it?

Dee Gallo
04-23-2010, 7:48 AM
Nice effect, and nice font, too. What font is it?

It's called Waterlily, seems to be popular with folks. Fancy but readable. :)

Tim Neal
04-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Dee - I'm curious...how was the customer displaying this sign. Outside for everyone one to see, or indoors.

Tim

Dee Gallo
04-27-2010, 7:11 AM
He installed them inside, one in a border going around the entrance area and one inside a "mud room" which is a big closet room for taking off boots and snow gear. The single letters are going on either side of the shower entrance.

:) dee