PDA

View Full Version : DNA used for other blanks?

Derek Voigt
04-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Hello all,

I was reading up on the DNA method for drying bowls becuase I just recently picked up some green walnut and juniper. To date all the bowls I have made has been with dried wood. I only have a Midi lathe, so I don't go any bigger then 9ish inches in diameter.

But I have also been wanting to do pepper mills, can you use DNA to help dry pepper mill blanks? I know that the wood could move and bind the top from turning if it is turned too wet. I just don't want to wait for it to get drier!

Any advice?

Thanks,
Derek

Bill Bulloch
04-20-2010, 1:17 PM
Needless to say, Dried wood is better for the Peppermill........but, if I were to try DNA with Green Wood, I think I would roughout the blank and drill my holes first. Maybe drill the hole slighly less than the 1 1/16" , say 7/8 or 3/4". This would let the DNA soak into the wood better than it would with a 3 x 3 solid blank.

If you try it, let us know the outcome.

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2010, 5:04 PM
I agree with Bill. I wouldn't use green wood to do peppermills. I tried about 3 yrs ago to do some out of green wood. Didn't work out well as I tried to drill smaller holes, then DNA them. They moved pretty bad and could never get them in line. IMHO I would use kiln dried wood.

Charles Drake
04-20-2010, 5:41 PM
Derek, Bill is correct. I did a little test a month or two ago where I drilled holes somewhat undersize and soaked in DNA. Found the wood dried faster and with less distortion than just air dried but I also agree that it needs to be at equilibrium MC before final turning. You might want to look up my post. Good luck.