View Full Version : Anyone compare the Bosch 1590 with the Makita 4351?

Louis Brandt
04-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Hello,

I’m in the market for a high quality jigsaw, and I just posted a question about the Bosch 1590. Someone wrote back and said that the Makita 4351 was better. Has anyone compared the two? I’ve read that the Bosch has a mechanism for keeping the blade dead accurate when cutting. I’m not sure that the Makita has the same mechanism. I’ve also heard that the Makita runs smoother and with less vibration. But if I’m not interested in smoothness, but just want accuracy, which one should I buy?

Thanks,
Louis

Johnnyy Johnson
04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
With the right blades the DeWalt DCS330L 18 Volt Cordless XRP Li-lon Jig Saw Kit is hard to beat. I use mine to make templates. It really has a lot of features. Dewalt now has a 36 volt jig saw

Vijay Kumar
04-20-2010, 12:51 PM
No comparison between the Makita and the Bosch. But I did compare the Bosch (I own) to the Festool. The Bosch guides are spring loaded that automatically adjust to the thickness of the blade which is a nice feature. But if you put too much side load the blade will bend. The Festool has the guides adjustable by a set screw. Once you set it to the blade thickness, the blades will track straight under any side load leading to 90 degree cut. I tried this out in 3 inch stock and got perfect 90 degree cuts.

Vijay

Louis Brandt
04-20-2010, 1:21 PM
When you say, "no comparison between the Makita and the Bosch", which are you saying is better? From your post, I couldn't understand which you preferred.
Louis

Vijay Kumar
04-20-2010, 1:25 PM
Did not try the Makita so no opinions on it.

Vijay

Van Huskey
04-20-2010, 1:38 PM
I have only used the Makita once so it is a limited comparison but I thought the Bosch was better. I thought it had less vibration (actually in the cut), was easier to control and has a great anti-splitter guard. The Bosch is the closest thing to the Festool, in fact I couldn't find anything I demonstrably that I liked better on the Festool. The 1590/1591 is pretty much universally loved. I would suggest try a barrel handle version before you choose, I thought I would hate them but I would only have them now. I mention this because the models you mention are top handle for the B and barrel for the M if I am not mistaken. Either one is a fine JS, these and the Festool are the the cream of the crop and you can't really go wrong, if nothing else the Bosch seems to be available cheaper as well.

Homer Faucett
04-20-2010, 2:00 PM
I have never used the Makita, so cannot comment on that particular saw. However, I have a 1591 and just sold my 1587 to a buddy of mine. I really liked them both (one was the old top handle version, the other the new barrel grip version), and have never heard anyone speak badly of the Bosch jigsaw. Most that have compared Bosch to Festool say that there is only a minor difference, if any, between the two when it comes to usability and features. I would guess that if you ever had to sell it, the Bosch would be easier to sell than the Makita, as Bosch is pretty much synonymous with jigsaw.

glenn bradley
04-20-2010, 5:48 PM
The Makita is a very nice saw. You mention the Bosch 1590 (top handle) and the Makita 4531 (barrel handle) so it would be an odd comparison. I was after a barrel handle and so compared the Bosch 1591 and the Makita 4531 (and the Festool and the DeWalt, etc. etc.).

There are a few jigsaws that felt "about" the same to me with subtle differences. The Bosch felt best in my hand and so won my purchase. I won't nit-pick the others because my choice was based on what felt best and was most controllable in my hand. Someone doing the same comparison right behind me may have picked the Milwaukee.