PDA

View Full Version : Advice on bath vanity

Charlie McGuire
04-20-2010, 10:45 AM
I am about to start on a bathroom vanity - face-frame cab design - 32" high. It is to be 5' wide with single sink in the middle, banks of drawers on the sides and one drawer beneath the sink cabinet doors.

My question is whether to build it as a single carcass 5 feet wide, or 3 screwed together ? I would like to keep the face frame a single continuous frame.

So, I'm looking for suggestions ?

Thanks!

Sam Layton
04-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi Charlie,

I would build a 5' cabinet as one unit. I like building my base/toe kick separate. It is easy to level the base, then set the cabinet on the base.

For me 32" is low for a bathroom vanity. I like 35". An extra 2" makes a lot of difference.

Installing the drawer below the sink is a good idea. Just make sure you have plenty of room for the drain, etc.

Sam

Ellen Benkin
04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
I agree about checking the height. If this is for an "adult" bathroom, try to make it kitchen counter height. Most adults find this more comfortable than the normal low bathroom sink. However, if young kids will be using it, you need to make it slightly lower for them.

Charlie McGuire
04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice !

It is the main bathroom, so kids and adults will use it. I'll consider another couple inches. Our existing vanties are way too low at 30"!

Sam, is your base also your toekick ? Just wondering how that works.

Charlie

Kyle Iwamoto
04-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Just curious, if the vainty is 5 feet, why don't you add a second sink? It's always handy IMO.

Sam Layton
04-20-2010, 1:07 PM
Yes, my base is also my toe kick. I make my base so I have 3 1/2" below the bottom of my face frame, and about 4" deep. The 4" or so allows room for baseboard. The base is just a platform to set the cabinet on. For me, it is easer to level the base/platform, that it would be to level the entire cabinet.

See the photo's below. I have not installed the baseboard yet. You can see the shims I used to level the base. This vanity is 4' wide, 35" tall. I would suggest 35" or 36". If necessary for small children you could make a small step stool.

Hope this helps, Sam

Chip Lindley
04-20-2010, 2:40 PM
Very Nice work Sam! Concerning vanity height, too low can be a pain! Make the surface *adult height* and build a nice matching stool for the kiddies. A nice oak step stool will become a family heirloom!

Charlie McGuire
04-20-2010, 3:21 PM
Very nice work Sam!

I like the stool idea as much as I like the idea of a decent height countertop ! I'll have to check with my other half and decide on the height. 5'2 and 5'10 may have different ideas about what is optimal :D

Thanks guys!

Charlie

Dino Drosas
04-20-2010, 5:38 PM
I just recently finished a new vanity in my guest half/bath. I chose to make it like a free standing piece of furniture instead of built in. It is 36 inches high and that is a bit too tall. Frame is solid cherry with cherry veneered side panels and door panels. I cut Lacewood veneers for the door panel faces and the drawer fronts and banded all with African Blackwood. I used self closing drawer slides since it was to be used as a vanity. After I installed it I decided to make a matching mirror to hang above it. Turns out, it is one of my favorite pieces.
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141247&d=1265640885

Brett Nelson
04-20-2010, 6:15 PM
Very nice work Sam!

I like the stool idea as much as I like the idea of a decent height countertop ! I'll have to check with my other half and decide on the height. 5'2 and 5'10 may have different ideas about what is optimal :D

Thanks guys!

Charlie

I hear ya. I'm 6'1" and wife is 5'0". Made my master vanities 36" and the center section is dropped for a seated make-up station. The depths are different too. 21" depth at sinks and 18" depth at make-up station. I've heard many women comment that they wouldn't use it if they had one. They change their tune when they actually get one and realize that there isn't a rule stating that their back must hurt while doing their make-up. :D