PDA

View Full Version : Bed pictures

Ernie Hobbs
11-15-2004, 11:35 AM
I posted a few weeks ago the pictures of the turnings on the bed that I was making for my 2-year-old son. Here are the finished pictures. I'm not too pleased with the finish and I think I'll put something else on it one day to shine it up a bit. But, for my first turning project, I think it "turned" out OK. I'm happy to report that Michael has made the transition from crib to big boy bed without difficulty.

Thanks for looking. I look forward to your comments/ advice, etc.

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL

David Wilson
11-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Looks very nice. You could possibly shine it up with some wax.

Ernie Hobbs
11-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Here are a couple of other recently completed projects. Also for my son, I made this bookshelf. It is made out of pine and was my first attempt at making moulding on my shop-build router table (on table saw extension).

The chest of drawers is a restoration of a chest of drawers that I had as a little kid. It was pretty banged up and had long been retired to storage. I pulled all of the drawers apart and resurfaced all the pieces, reinforced joints, replaced hardware with wooden knobs, and replaced all runners the case- they were worn down to cause the drawers to not sit level. I think it was probably more work than it is worth but, it does have some sentimental value and Michael should get many years of use out of it.

Stay tuned for more pictures, #3 is on the way and my wife is due this week!

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Ernie....I don't have a lathe yet...but those turnings look good to me!

Ted Shrader
11-15-2004, 12:33 PM
Ernie -

Nice work on the bed! I'm sure he will enjoy more as the days go by and he appreciates wgat Dad did for him.

Pictures are expected on the upcoming gloat this week (hopefully).

Regards,
Ted

Carl Eyman
11-15-2004, 12:40 PM
I don't believe there is any more satisfying feeling in woodworking than making stuff for your kids and grandkids (of any age). Especially when it is nice stuff like yours.

Michael Stafford
11-15-2004, 1:28 PM
Michael, (what a great name) is a lucky little boy. He will not realize that his bed, bookcase and chest of drawers have something in them that money cannot buy, his father's love. One day he will know that and much later he will appreciate it as he hands down these heirlooms to his son.

It doesn't get any better than that Ernie. ;) :D