PDA

View Full Version : 1st attempt at a mini birdhouse

Matt Ranum
04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I tried to finish this yesterday but apparently I wasn't suppose to be in the shop last night since all I did was see how many pieces of wood I could destroy and what kind of distance I could get launching chunks of wood from my lathe. :p My record so far is 15' with 3 ricochets. :eek::p

Tonight was better, well at least safer for anyone walking in the door that is. Anyway here is my first attempt at these little buggers. Need to improve on proportions and techniques but overall I'm basically satisfied.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2010, 10:42 PM
That is a great looking first house. Be careful they can be addicting.

kenneth walker
04-20-2010, 1:10 AM
Great job keep them coming. Ken

John Keeton
04-20-2010, 7:09 AM
Nice work, Matt! On those "launches", I understand the goal is to make a bank shot in the trash can on the other side of the shop, with a minimum of two wall bounces, and one ceiling bounce!!:eek:

Bill Bulloch
04-20-2010, 7:38 AM
You should be satisfied you did a nice job, especially for your first attempt. Keep it up.

Steve Schlumpf
04-20-2010, 7:38 AM
Matt - turning these little guys can be a lot of fun and can challenge your imagination trying to come up with a different design for each one!

Launching turnings can be frustrating. Consider it a learning opportunity to discover what causes it and you won't have that problem near as much in the future.

I have launched a few things but my favorite so far was one bounce off the ways and into the dust collector! :eek: Yikes! :eek: It was then onto the next turning cause I heard that one hit the fan blades!

Lesson learned, I installed a second stage trash can after that experience! :D

Matt Ranum
04-20-2010, 7:42 AM
Nice work, Matt! On those "launches", I understand the goal is to make a bank shot in the trash can on the other side of the shop, with a minimum of two wall bounces, and one ceiling bounce!!:eek:

John- sounds like you have some experience in this area. :p Haven't hit the ceiling yet......I'll work on it.;)

David E Keller
04-20-2010, 7:54 AM
That looks great, Matt. I've launched more things than NASA:eek:

bob svoboda
04-20-2010, 8:37 AM
Off the band saw, off the router table, off the ceiling, over the dust collector.....NOTHING BUT NET!! :cool: Nice First Birdhouse. I agree--they are addicting.