PDA

View Full Version : traveling with tools

johnny means
04-19-2010, 8:50 PM
My work often has me taking my tools with me on flights around the country. typical finish carpenters tool bag; jigsaw, circular saw, couple of drills , i-drive, batteries, chargers, hand tools. All this usually ends up being a couple of 50 lb bags, and sometimes cost more that my plane tickets. It's also hell on my luggage(tool bags eat up too much weight).

Any one got any ideas for traveling lighter or cheaper? Any tips on how to stream line the arsenal?

Brendan Plavis
04-19-2010, 8:52 PM
Not an expert, but I would consider a Charter. They most likely dont charge for the weight of the bag(so long as the plane can get wheels up at a normal time.)

Either that or stick to driving....

Joe Shinall
04-19-2010, 9:08 PM
Corded drill and track saw(with just a short track maybe) might cut down on the extra batteries and maybe a saw or two.

Matt Meiser
04-19-2010, 9:11 PM
Have you looked into shipping tools ahead?

mickey cassiba
04-19-2010, 9:41 PM
Have you looked into shipping tools ahead?Shipping is how I did it...NDA is an expensive, but sure way to have your gear waiting for you.
Mick

Jeff Qualmann
04-19-2010, 9:49 PM
Johnny - I feel your pain, as I frequently have to travel via air for work, either handling the install and dismantle on large trade show booths across the country, or doing fast and furious setups for events and customer meetings. There is no fun in having to lug several 50 lb. tool cases from the back parking lot of an airport.

Back before the airlines instituted their excess baggage penalties, I would load up for almost every conceivable problem - you name it, I had it with me. Now days, forced by the airlines to cut back, I am a lot more conservative in what I bring.

Matt's suggestion of shipping ahead, if viable for you is a good one if you can be without your tools a few extra days. For me I can often piggyback them with the trade show booth or product arriving a few days before I do - when possible I ship them back the same way. Often, I will still pack a small minimum tool kit traveling with me "just" in case the main shipment goes MIA - though I then have bigger problems to contend with.

One challenge I have always had when shipping via the airlines is how to pack them to survive the pounding and abuse they get from the airline baggage system. I've had dozens of hard-side tool cases busted up and have pretty much settled on some kind of tough heavy-duty soft case then dropped into Army duffle bag. At least that way, if the inner bag should bust open, the heavy canvas duffle bag keeps your precious tools from bumping down the conveyer one at a time. This "belt and suspenders" approach makes the journey through the x-ray process all the more cumbersome, but usually the TSA guys are fairly understanding as long as you tell them ahead of time what you've got.

Michael Flores
04-20-2010, 1:34 AM
Im not 100% sure if they still do this but you use to be able to ship on buses like grey hounds. Give them a call since they are all over the country and usually have extra room.

Vijay Kumar
04-20-2010, 1:49 AM
Southwest Airlines lets you take 3 bags free, if you are lucky enough to be on their routes. Greyhound Package express is another choice

Vijay

Brian Brown
04-20-2010, 8:17 AM
Any one got any ideas for traveling lighter or cheaper? Any tips on how to stream line the arsenal?

+1 on shipping ahead. In a word Fed-Ex. I am a photographer, and learned early on never to trust the airlines with my reputation. You say the airlines charge more for the excess baggage than a second ticket. If you have a couple of days lead time where you can be without your tools, they have several cost effective shipping options. If you travel so much that you have to send everything overnight, it seems that a duplicate set of tools would pay for itself very quickly. Then you could use some of the less costly shipping options.

Some of the shipping advantages are:
1. No pilfering by baggage handlers or TSA. I have had only one problem here, but I have heard horror stories (remember when some of the Crown Jewels dissappeared a few years ago?).
2. Fed-Ex is incredibly reliable. Every company makes mstakes, but I have never seen a company go to such lengths to fix them.
3. My personal favorite. The tools go right to your destination. No baggage claim, or lugging heavy baggage after a tiring flight.
4. These shipments can be insured. Try to get the airlines to do anything more than give you a new toothbrush and a pair of skivvies.

One other possibility to make your life easier, check into renting the heavier and less used tools in the area you are traveling. Many headaches here I know, but it is a thought.

Paul Steiner
04-20-2010, 10:11 AM
+1 for FedEx, my brother is an engineer for a large computer manufacturer and he ships everything ahead with Fedex, even most of his luggage. Brian echoed what my brother has said.

Curt Harms
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Google baggage shipping. There are a few firms that come up. Just for grins I put in PA to FL. $3.30/lb. for 3 day service. I suspect there are cheaper options than that.