PDA

View Full Version : Over the bench tool rack

Jim Powers
04-19-2010, 7:55 PM
Does anyone have any information on over the bench tool racks?

Thanks for any input.

Jim

glenn bradley
04-19-2010, 11:23 PM
As in mounted to (I hate this) or suspended above (I have seen this here and there. Looks clever but not for me). http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/04/09/sn/

Jim Koepke
04-20-2010, 1:31 AM
My main objection to over the bench tool racks is the unintended consequences of gravity when accompanied by unintended clumsiness.

jim

glenn bradley
04-20-2010, 9:00 AM
Jim is a wise man who's words echo with the ring of prophecy ;-)

Tom Vanzant
04-20-2010, 9:33 AM
My main objection to over the bench tool racks is the unintended consequences of gravity when accompanied by unintended clumsiness.

jim
Jim,
Your comment reminds me of a frriend who described his method of moving heavy objects in close quarters as "with brute force and awkwardness."
Tom

Robert Rozaieski
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Does anyone have any information on over the bench tool racks?

Thanks for any input.

Jim

Kind of a vague question. Can you elaborate on what kind of information you are looking for? And what do you mean by "over the bench"? Do you mean something like these?

http://logancabinetshoppe.weebly.com/uploads/9/4/7/5/947508/5680555_orig.jpg

http://logancabinetshoppe.weebly.com/uploads/9/4/7/5/947508/12269_orig.jpg

I've been using these for years and find them very convenient. Tools are within easy reach, easy to find, easy to put away, and the boards are easy to reconfigure. Boards are hung with French cleats so I can easily move them should I need/choose to. Never had any accidents with falling tools.

Tony Shea
04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure I'd be a big fan of over the bench tool racks as it could really interfere with the lighting depending on where you're working on the bench. I will say that receptacles (outlets) suspended over head would be pretty convienent for such tools as a power router and maybe the occasional power sander (I know you neanders are cringing of the thought of the ROS). I have thought of doing the power overhead for a while but just haven't come up with the right way to do it besides spending $80 for a spring loaded cord reel, just can't justify it. I'd rather buy a couple chisels or other tools before that thing. I'm an electrician so one would think I could design a good alternative but overhead power is a little more complicated than one would think as far as keeping things out of the way.

Jim Powers
04-20-2010, 6:39 PM
I apoligize for not being more specific. I was looking for information on mounting my hand tools on the wall behind my bench. I too am not fond of overhead tool storage. As Jim stated "gravity had a way of taking over". Thanks for all your questions/suggestions. Robert, I like the individual panel idea with the french cleat. I do enjoy your podcasts.

Thanks,

Jim

Matthew Dworman
04-21-2010, 8:39 AM
Hi Jim,
Here is a picture of mine - it sits at a 10* angle and that keeps everything put...

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o52/mdworman/IMG_0030-1.jpg

It is mounted above my bench with a french cleat. There is a small shelf behind it where I keep accessories - camelia oil, fences, extra blades, etc...
I like that everything is within reach. It was originally meant to be temporary until I built an actual cabinet, but you know how those things go...
What I do not like is that everything is exposed, and tends to get a fine layer of dust and therefore rust - my next cabinet will close and therefore eliminate that problem - but the plans have been in the works for that for over 5 years now...

mike holden
04-21-2010, 8:50 AM
Jim,
This is my setup. I had originally envisioned a clamshell type box, but realized that it would be open most of the time anyway. Putting the tools close at hand means that I use the right tool more often as it is just as easy to grab the shooting plane as the block plane.
Works well for me,
Mike

Graham Hughes (CA)
04-21-2010, 7:06 PM
I do something like this with my nest of saws; they hang on nails on the wall and I just grab one when convenient. I've thought about doing it with chisels and the like, but ultimately found it more convenient to have a big old-style toolchest opposite the bench where they live. Less rust worries, etc.

Jim Powers
04-21-2010, 8:08 PM
Gentlemen, Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike - I envy your set-up. I only wish that I had the room. Great bench!!

Graham - I also keep my chisels & bench planes in a big red bottom box. I was hoping that the humitity would some how evaporate, but I live in southern Louisiana. Go figure.

Matthew - Wow, what a great tool board, but you're right about having everything exposed to the elements.

Again, thanks for the ideas and photos.

Semper Fi !! Jim

Tom Vanzant
04-21-2010, 9:07 PM
[QUOTE=Matthew Dworman;1404771]Hi Jim,
Here is a picture of mine - it sits at a 10* angle and that keeps everything put...
Matt,
I started to arrange my planes horizonally like Mike, but opted to use an existing cabinet and stand them on end. My planes are at 10*, but the #3, 4 and 4 1/2's were still tippy, so I added 3/8" dia rare earth magnets near the toe, flush with the panel. Problem solved.
Tom

Russell Sansom
04-21-2010, 9:13 PM
I have a small dedicated cabinet for each set of chisels, saws, and planes. There's a grid of hardwood on the wall behind my bench so things can be moved around if the spirit moves me. The cabinets seal up pretty well with the hope of getting rust to take a nap at night.

For many years I had a tiny shop. I could hang a couple cabinets over my bench and store the others in another room. Now that I have a bigger space I'm still happy with this scheme.

Jim Koepke
04-21-2010, 10:02 PM
The cabinets seal up pretty well with the hope of getting rust to take a nap at night.

Rust never sleeps.

jim

Frank Drew
04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Rust never sleeps.

Omigod, is that ever true; in my case, the rust pretended to sleep but when I was out of the shop for an extended period it really settled on almost every exposed steel surface -- surprisingly, the cast iron was almost unaffected.

My hand tools in drawers or otherwise not out in the open had virtually no rust.