PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
11-15-2004, 8:49 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. It's time to share what each of us did over the weekend. So.....

I spent some time on the lathe this weekend as well as making a raised panel lid for a guy at work that goes on a hall bench of his. It's out of mahogany and I found that my sinuses do NOT like the dust from mahogany. :( Oh well, I have it all cut, put together and glued up....just not stained or finished just yet. Other than that? Just spent time with the family and trying to find time to get all my Christmas stuff done before Dec 25th!!!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of Weeks to you all.....

Dick Parr
11-15-2004, 8:55 AM
Made some Ring Holders and turned an Ambrosia Maple bowl. Finished a couple of Christmas presents and started getting our trailer and SUV ready for a camping trip on the Thanksgiving weekend. There are 9 trailers going for the 3 day weekend and 33 people. Should be interesting. :D

Bob Hovde
11-15-2004, 8:56 AM
Got the trench dug, conduit laid and cable pulled for the new electrical service to my garage/shop. The first 70 ft were easy - with a trenching machine. The last 30 ft next to the house were by hand - 28 in deep in the Alabama WET clay! :mad:

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2004, 9:08 AM
Finished wiring the 120 wall outlets in my shop. Got the mounting brackets painted and installed on the electrical mast for the service entry. Installed a bonding wire from the breaker box neutral bus to the natural gas pipe running within in the shop. Ready to start the 240 wiring, the 120 for air compressor and lighting circuits. Later this week I'll call for a service entry inspection and then I can have the utility company put power in the shop. One more weekend and I think I'll have the shop wired. I'll probably go ahead and finish the rough-in before I have power connected to the shop. I work with ac and high voltage dc everyday (480 ac....140,000 dc) but I still like to have a "dead box" when wiring. Once the meter is installed there will power in the box.

Ed Lang
11-15-2004, 9:12 AM
Friday when I got home I was greeted by a box with a PC 425MAG for my new EZ Smart Guide system. Down to the shop to play! It works great! The first cuts were to build the table for laying sheet goods on. I had a old table that was falling apart so I took the leg set from it and a scrap of 3/4" ply and with the help of my youngest son, got it all finished.

Saturday started off by my wife, 9 year old son and I going to an auction down the road. My wife has never ever been to an auction... She had a blast and so did my son. We got three planes, brace and some bits, two metal cream cans from local dairys long since out of business and two sausage grinders as well as a cherry seeder. This was good family time for us.
We all three spent a lot of time in the shop working on Christmas gifts as well.

Sunday was more time in the shop. My wife decided we needed the Incra fence system for the drill press so she is ordering that on Monday. I was also told that I should look for some flocking in the mail this week as well as the fancy flocking gun that connects to the compressor. This woman is on a tool buying freenzy! I don't know if I can take her to the WW show in January... I only have a F250 truck and might not be able to haul all the stuff home :eek:

I don't know about you guys.... but my wife is fantastic. I don't hide new tools from her.... I think she hides them from me!

Here is a link to some of the items that we got at the auction and some of the projects my wife and son have made in the shop. I'll get more pictures and post on the site later in the week I hope.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/gallery/285486

Enjoy the rest of the pictures on the site if you like.

Now it is back to work :( .... Come on 4:30 :D

Jon Olson
11-15-2004, 9:18 AM
Picked up a new/used (5 yrs old - never used) Oven/range to replace the 30yr old unit we currently have in the place. Also picked up a Freezer for the garage from the in-laws.

Saturday, visited with fellow Creeker Chris Padilla. He showed me is house and all the garage work he's been doing. Plus I got to see the Aircraft carrier (Jointer/Planer combo) WOW!! that will definetely make some boards really flat!!! Its nice meet other Creekers that are right down the street.

Thanks Chris!! Were you able to un-stuck the table top??

Sunday was football and family time. Plus a little limit game of Texas Hold'm poker with some friends.

Jon

Kevin Arceneaux
11-15-2004, 9:21 AM
Mine is the same - she decided we needed a compressor and brad gun. So off we go while my son is at a birthday party. After looking around we are pretty sure we are going to get the one from Porter Cable - CFN250 - you get a 18 and 16 gauge guns, plus you get a coupon for a free stapler.

Saturday, while working in the shed/shop, she took a bad spill while staining the box I made. We had been using milk cartons as seats, but they are fairly unstable and they slipped and down she went. So I made a bench for shop use. I took some pics of it and a few other things. When I get the film developed I will pist pics.

Jim Becker
11-15-2004, 9:30 AM
Short weekend, but finished up the new workbench before being pulled into "business meetings" for the "real job", starting early on Sunday. I'll get back on the Armoire project next weekend, however...

Jason Roehl
11-15-2004, 9:57 AM
I took a bite of an elephant this weekend. Mostly watched football (Purdue finally broke their losing streak at the expense of the Buckeyes, and the Colts killed the Texans), but decided that if my shop was ever going to get clean and have half a chance at staying that way, I would have to reorganize it.

So I went out and measured everything in there, grabbed a pad of graph paper, drew out the shop (20'5" x 13'6"--I never knew that before!), cut out pieces to match the machines, and used a glue stick to slap some things down where I thought they should go, all while watching the Colts. There's a long (11'7") workbench built in right now that's going to have to get moved, it's been there since before I moved in, and I have an idea on how to add my DeWalt SCMS to it. It's currently on one of the long walls (think: workbench, chest freezer--not moving!, entry door, then another 2' on the long wall), and it's going to end up at the back, on a short wall. The chest freezer is staying put next to the door (thinking of the wifey here), so I'll miss having a ~16' workbench; the chest freezer and bench are within 1/16" of each other in height (occasionally the wife has had to move tools/projects to get into the freezer :o ).

Next bite of the elephant will be doing some basic cleaning of the floor so that stuff can get moved around. One major improvement will be that the lathe will go by the overhead door so that chips and shavings can either fly out the door or be quickly swept out, and, during nicer weather, I can have some good natural light (door is a western exposure).

Byron Trantham
11-15-2004, 10:23 AM
I delivered the last cabinet for the wall unit on Sunday. :D Man what a job! I have to return one more time. My finish nailer blew a nail through the face frame in a VERY visible spot! :mad: I didn't have the tools I needed to extract and/or hide it. One flippin' nail! Anyway the client is very happy.

He has another much smaller job or me and one of his friends wants a wall unit similar to the one I just finished. They will be looking at the results and making a decision shortly.

Today I am going to inventory all the cut-offs and enter them into Cut List Plus. I hate this part. :mad:

Tyler Howell
11-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Another Great weekend, 4 whole days, made a lot of saw dust and shavings, plugged and unplugged. :cool: The Neander techniques have really helped fit and finish of my trim work. I'm liking the result. Given up completely on trying to meet any deadlines. It will be finished when it wants to. Progress does stimulate more interest and effort in a project. I seems to move better.... Because it's moving better.

Spent some time BSing with WWs about tools in a couple shops on my quest to have the most toyls before I die.

Have a good week.

Scott Coffelt
11-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Installed the fireplace mantel for a client on Saturday, then went and bought some wood: 5 bdft of Wenge, 5 bdft of Curly Maple and 18 dbft of Jatoba. I think I will make a box for SWMBO for xmas out of the Wenge and C. Maple. I've not used the Jatoba before and found some real nice pieces for $3.49/bdft locally. Anyone out there use this stuff?

Started building a box out of Paduak based on an inspirational piece from a book. Things were going great and then all heck broke loose and now it is junk, I'll have to resize the pieces and basically start over. This would have been a time for a prototype, oh well. Sure is pretty wood and I don't want to waste it, anyways the box was probably too big... right????!!!!!

Saturday night and Sunday were quite eventful from a family perspective. My neice who we have been raising since she was 5 1/2, decided she no longer wanted to follow the house rules (no drinking, midnight curfews, limited body piercings, no sleeping around, doing her best in school and basically being a responsible individual) and packed up and headed out. BTW, she broke every rule listed..... We've been dealing with quite a bit for the last 8-9 months (minor and major conflicts about every other day) and were hoping she would either see the light or we could get her through High School. She is a Senior and has basically one more semister left. There's much, much more to the overall story, but this is just a small picture. Pretty darn stressful for the whole family. So needless to say, not much sleep around the Coffelt household the last few nights.

That's about it.

Wes Newman
11-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Scored some Walnut and Curly Maple for a couple of jewlry boxes, I'm making for Christmas presents.:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12608&stc=1
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12609&stc=1

Tyler Howell
11-15-2004, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Dick Parr]Made some Ring Holders and turned an Ambrosia Maple bowl. Another fin job Dick. Great spinny stuff!

Tyler Howell
11-15-2004, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=Byron Trantham] Anyway the client is very happy.

He should be happy Byron. Excellent job

Scott Parks
11-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Didn't get a darn thing done... Got drafted to work on my day off:mad: But the extra $$$ will almost pay for a "new arrival":D :D :D Hint: it's green:D The only thing productive I did over the weekend... Ordered a Forrest WW2 last night....:)

Kurt Aebi
11-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Tore out more plaster and lathe going up the stairs, this time. Opened up the living room to the staircase - wow does it seem larger.

Got the back wall of the living room paneled, next will be the poly and then the radiator, then the room will be nice and cozy. I replaced the baseboard units with 12" x 48" radiant heat style radiators. They are producing about the same amount of heat as the 20' of baseboard it replaced. The 2' x 4' one will be overkill, but up here in Vermont - overkill is usually necessary.

I've taken some digital pictures, but haven't had a chance to post any yet.

John Miliunas
11-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Dick, very nice turnings! Looks like you'll be set for Christmas. :) Bryon, what can I say about your work, which hasn't been already said? Simply beautiful! :) Wes, nice scores on the lumber! Can't wait to see the finished products! Don't forget pics! :D

My own weekend was primarily filled with trials and tribulations in trying to fit interior window casings on a house (otherwise known as "The Money Pit") where absolutely NOTHING is square, plumb or even level! :mad: Went and picked up a used sectional couch LOML bought on Sat. Wow! What a house it came out of! Talk about "high end". All Arts & Crafts woodwork in QS Oak and the kitchen and dining area built-ins are solid Cherry with exquisite craftsmanship! Inspirational! :) Helped my buddy a bit more with the trailer restore. Got enough garbage sorted and out of the finishing room to actually USE it as a finishing room! :D Yippeee! That means square footage in a dedicated area, largely free of blowing dust which, in turn means, I can finish and continue doing "other" stuff in the main shop! :) For the shop itself, I did manage to get a coat of BLO on the new workbench top. Still in the planning stages for the base. Watched the ball game yesterday and spent a bit of family time. :D Hope everyone has a great week! :) :cool:

Jack Hogoboom
11-15-2004, 12:14 PM
My wife made me clean out the back part of the basement, where the shop is. Luckily, she didn't see the chainsaw box I had stashed in there (stealth gloat). Had two huge bonfires to burn all of the scrap wood in the burn boxes. Even roasted some marshmallows with one of my daughters.

Set up and tested the Kreg jig I bought almost a year ago (appears to be a very sweet system, especially for a hacker like me).

Tried to talk with my wife about the desk she wants to build for our office at home. Realized I have absolutely no talent for design.

Started to turn a nice little piece of walnut. No clue what it'll be when it's done.

Jack

Sparky Paessler
11-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Took half a day off Friday and poured 3.5 yards of concrete in the basement for the shop expansion. It rained most of the afternoon which made it fun getting the concrete to the basement from the driveway. Worked until 12:30 that night finishing the concrete. Saturday worked on setting the workshop back up.

Mark J Bachler
11-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Sat. I finished up the addition on the shop for the dust collector & future air compressor. Sunday I started a cedar portfolio case for my artist daughter that has her show at Brown college in MSP on Dec 22nd. Cut up some oak slab & watched the awesome Packer / Viking game.

Michael Stafford
11-15-2004, 1:21 PM
I accomplished nothing in the shop this weekend, didn't even make it out there. Most of weekend was preplanned for me with family or friend obligations to attend. Then I think I have caught something to boot :( .

Wes, good looking score on the wood. Of course you are now duly obliged to post pictures of any and all projects made with same. Full accountabilty of all wood is expected. :p :D

Dick, as usual your work is great. You are becoming prolific. It is a good thing with all the wood and tool gloats you have had this year. :p :D

Byron, the completed project is excellent, really nice and worthy of inclusion in anyone's portfolio although it is highly unlikely that I will ever do work that nice. Really beautiful!!! :D

And to the rest of you ambitious people who did make it to the shop I say :p .

I'm jealous but not feeling all that great :( :D :o .

Dan Gill
11-15-2004, 1:54 PM
I was sick and we had guests Sunday, so there was a lot of house cleaning to do. I did get my guitar stand basically put together. I'll post pics when I get it all sanded out and finished.

David Klug
11-15-2004, 2:28 PM
This weekend we had the TAT at Woodcraft. I don't know how many pens we got turned out because I left and they were still turning. There must have been at least 20 -25 guys and gals working there so I'll have to check and see how many we turned later.

DK

keith zimmerman
11-15-2004, 2:51 PM
Not a lot of activity this weekend as I felt under the weather most of the weekend. Most of the time I was either sleeping or just sitting and suffering.

I did, however, manage assemble a machine stand and set up my new Riobi 10" CMS. On Sunday, I felt a bit better and cut some blanks from some walnut and turned a 6" bowl.

keithz

Ernie Hobbs
11-15-2004, 3:50 PM
After finishing a few projects on my list, I cleaned up the shop. Also, I put in some flourescent lights on the ceiling of my garage, since I find myself out in the shop very late on weekend nights and poor lighting doesn't help. Now, I can actually see what I'm doing.

I put everything on casters so when I'm not using them, I can wheel them away into the corner. (I hope to replace the TS and BS soon with upgraded ones and add a jointer). One day...

Ernie Hobbs
Madison, AL

Chris Padilla
11-15-2004, 4:32 PM
Picked up a new/used (5 yrs old - never used) Oven/range to replace the 30yr old unit we currently have in the place. Also picked up a Freezer for the garage from the in-laws.

Saturday, visited with fellow Creeker Chris Padilla. He showed me is house and all the garage work he's been doing. Plus I got to see the Aircraft carrier (Jointer/Planer combo) WOW!! that will definetely make some boards really flat!!! Its nice meet other Creekers that are right down the street.

Thanks Chris!! Were you able to un-stuck the table top??

Sunday was football and family time. Plus a little limit game of Texas Hold'm poker with some friends.

Jon
Nice meeting you, too, Jon...thanks so much for the providing the David Marks' video!! I watched the first two episodes...I want to make a plane now! ;)

Yeah, about 15 minutes of dinking with the J/P got it unstuck. I just grabbed the handle that was stuck and pulled the #$%!#$ out of it and wouldn't you know it, there was enough slack to pop it free. I think I'll take steps to prevent that from happening again...how embarrasing! :(

I am just about done with the flex conduit install but have another couple of nights or two of work to finish up. After that, it is pulling the wiring through the conduit! yee-haw... :)

I'm also digging seriously into soundproofing the garage from the rest of the house. Just about ready to place a $$$-sized order for stuff. :(

Saturday was spent taking the family to San Francisco...no, not for fun...but to the dentist...even more fun! I am proud to say we all had zero cavities! :D

Also took the leaf blower to the roof and cleaned off the leaves and cleaned out the gutters, too. The leaf blower makes quick work of gutter cleaning but it is quite messy...any water in the gutter tends to splash all over everything including you! :)

Chad Pater
11-15-2004, 9:52 PM
Just finishing up the last of the fall tillage. Both corn and soybeans yeilds were a little above average. Sunday was church and yelling and the Vikings thru the TV :mad:

Kelly C. Hanna
11-16-2004, 1:00 AM
Started out with going to get a few automtive parts to sell on ebay for a friend. I've already sold the five wheels he sent.

Then it was time to gather parts for a heater core swap on my truck. It was a bear but we got it done. Also installed a Ford solenoid kit and a new starter and gave the inside of the truck a cleanup.

Last but not least we started planning a four day camping trip to Beaver's Bend Oklahoma starting Wednesday! Yeehaw!!

Jerry Olexa
11-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Saturday did FINAL gluing of my cherry project (pics to follow) and mixed shellac flakes mixture to be ready for next step. Those band clamps are sure handy even tho I scored recently on Jorgies and Besseys,I am a confessed cheapskate sometimes. While glue drying, making a neutral vane for the DC and the new Wynn cannister arrived Monday. Sunday Church and Football. JO

John Miliunas
11-16-2004, 1:04 PM
Just finishing up the last of the fall tillage. Both corn and soybeans yeilds were a little above average. Sunday was church and yelling and the Vikings thru the TV :mad:

Chad, guess you didn't yell LOUD enough! :eek: (Sorry, couldn't resist.) :rolleyes: I'm just glad that the Pack took care of business when they did, as I'm afraid that Cullpepper was on a roll and could've easily gone the other way if it went into OT. :cool:

Chad Pater
11-16-2004, 2:45 PM
Chad, guess you didn't yell LOUD enough! :eek: (Sorry, couldn't resist.) :rolleyes: I'm just glad that the Pack took care of business when they did, as I'm afraid that Cullpepper was on a roll and could've easily gone the other way if it went into OT. :cool:

John...I'm just supprised it took this long for you to comment about it :rolleyes:
You have to give the Pack a little credit though (Very Little), 5 weeks ago they DOA.....
Chad

Jamie Adams
11-16-2004, 3:02 PM
Had a 5 day weekend, took off from Thursday :cool:. Finally (!!!) cleared the garage enough to start to setup shop :D. Built a bench and started to organize some. I am so happy to finally have the space and to have all my tools accessible and useable and to have a worksurface at a comfortable height :). I guess now I actually have to start making things :rolleyes:.

John Miliunas
11-16-2004, 3:21 PM
John...I'm just supprised it took this long for you to comment about it :rolleyes:
You have to give the Pack a little credit though (Very Little), 5 weeks ago they DOA.....
Chad

5 weeks ago? I forget...Did we (WI) even HAVE a team?! :eek: :D Yeah, they seem to be turning it around, though they still need to keep focused throughout the WHOLE game! :) In the meantime, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Vik's seem to self-destruct most every year long about now? It seems that they are usually doing real well and then the whole thing just starts to go right down the white swirly thing. :confused: :) Well, there's still some season left. We'll just have to see how it all goes. At least neither team is as bad as a couple others out there! :) :cool:

Tyler Howell
11-16-2004, 3:53 PM
5 weeks ago? I forget...Did we (WI) even HAVE a team?! :eek: :D Yeah, they seem to be turning it around, though they still need to keep focused throughout the WHOLE game! :) In the meantime, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Vik's seem to self-destruct most every year long about now? It seems that they are usually doing real well and then the whole thing just starts to go right down the white swirly thing. :confused: :) Well, there's still some season left. We'll just have to see how it all goes. At least neither team is as bad as a couple others out there! :) :cool:No John,
They wait till later in the season to get your hopes up then they crush them. I watched the civil war on PBS. A lot less blood shed.

Pete Rosenbohm
11-16-2004, 5:35 PM
OK Tyler where are the PICTURES:D :D :D

Pete Rosenbohm
11-16-2004, 5:42 PM
Football what is that?????? You know we have them AINT'S (saints) down here. Ok they beat the Chiefs but who doesn't beat the Chiefs. I think we will be having a coaching change at the end of the season. Jim Haslett has just about lost control of his team. Everybody wants to be a star, but don't want to put in the work.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Kevin Arceneaux
11-16-2004, 5:51 PM
Yep, the Aint's ain't worth watching. I had to laugh the other Sunday - How did they know to bring the bags to the game in San Diego? They need a QB. I still root for the Steeler's, I just wish we got them more on TV instead of the texan's.

Westego - Cajun country? Lafayette is the HEART of Cajun Country! :)

Pete Rosenbohm
11-16-2004, 6:30 PM
Yep, I know Lafayette is the heart of cajun country Kevin, but when the secretaries go to work in their white shrimp boots:D :eek: Westwego is still considered part of cajun country:D :D :D