PDA

View Full Version : What do you use your jigsaw for?

Louis Brandt
04-19-2010, 7:13 PM
Hello,
I’m thinking seriously about buying the Bosch 1590 jigsaw that everyone seems to like. But as with some tools that I’ve bought, I don’t have a “current” project that needs a quality jigsaw. So to help me make up my mind to go ahead with the purchase, if you don’t mind, can you tell me what projects, etc., do you use your jigsaw for?
Thanks,
Louis

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-19-2010, 7:24 PM
I use it all the time, for all kinds of projects. I don't do anything really precise with it, more like a high quality sawzall. :) I've crosscut rough lumber to size, cut steel conduit, I roughcut parts before pattern routing. Sink cutouts in countertops. Scribing cabinets. Anything that needs cutting, I use it.

Bruce Wrenn
04-19-2010, 9:23 PM
Sink cutouts, lumber to rough length. But most often to get rid of excess stock when trimming to a template with a router. Make one pass with router, remove template, saw off excess, and then come back with router for final pass. Especially helpful for rounding corners on counter tops.

Glen Butler
04-19-2010, 9:30 PM
I use mine mostly for framing. I cut out arches for windows and garage doors or interior passageways. I have cut hardwood arches with it also, then sand to the line.

I know buying tools is fun, but if you don't have a need, don't buy it. Buy one when you do have the need.

Jim O'Dell
04-19-2010, 9:32 PM
Like the others have said, rough cuts for pattern routing. I bought my JS originally for cutting patterns out of 1/4" plywood. We needed placement standards for our Irish Setter club that would be used in the ring, and for photos with the judge. That was probably 15 years ago. I also use it to complete partial cuts from the TS where two cuts meet, and the curve of the blade doesn't allow the corner to be completely cut without cutting well past the corner. Does that make sense?
One thing that bothers me about my jig saw is that if I'm cutting anything thick, like say a 2X4, the cut will not stay perpendicular to the surface. And it wasn't a cheap JS. I'm sure I'm putting side pressure on the blade making it flex. I just haven't been able to get the technique right. Jim.

glenn bradley
04-19-2010, 11:17 PM
I use mine to cut boards to rough length, cut panels out of larger pieces of sheet goods, cut the curves in template material when the path of the cut cannot be done on the bandsaw, etc.. Many times where, in the past, I would ordinarily break out the circ saw and lay foam panels on the ground and all that, I just hang the material over the edge of the bench on supports and jigsaw it.

I bought a very nice biscuit joiner once and didn't use it much. Finally sold it. I would never sell my 1591, never. However, the other Glen speaks true; if you don't need it, spend that money on a tool you do need. If you don't need a tool, buy some wood ;-)

Vijay Kumar
04-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Jim,
I too have an older Bosch. But I recently tried a Festool, and it has no problems making a perpendicular cut even in 3 inch stock. The reason is that the guides are adjustable to the blade thickness using a set screw (not a spring), so they dont allow the blade to wander off course.

Vijay

One thing that bothers me about my jig saw is that if I'm cutting anything thick, like say a 2X4, the cut will not stay perpendicular to the surface. And it wasn't a cheap JS. I'm sure I'm putting side pressure on the blade making it flex. I just haven't been able to get the technique right. Jim.

David Cefai
04-20-2010, 12:01 AM
One thing that bothers me about my jig saw is that if I'm cutting anything thick, like say a 2X4, the cut will not stay perpendicular to the surface. And it wasn't a cheap JS. I'm sure I'm putting side pressure on the blade making it flex. I just haven't been able to get the technique right. Jim.Jim,

I suggest you check the thickness of your blades and look for thicker ones. I had this problem and discovered that I was using slightly thinner blades than I used to. Consequently the blade was slightly angled (front to back) in the holder and this led to the problem you describe, even in 3/4" thick materials.

Mike Harrison
04-21-2010, 6:59 AM
Not much, but there aren't any "replacement" tools either.

Paul Greathouse
04-21-2010, 8:33 AM
Much the same as everyone else, most any kind of curved cut, rough cutting before template routing and inside cutouts such as for sinks but I also use mine for coping molding. The coping takes a little practice but after you've mastered it it really speeds up the process compared to a regular coping saw especially on tall baseboard.

Chris Parks
04-21-2010, 8:43 AM
Not much, even if it is a Bosch, I even have trouble remembering where it is on the odd occasion I need it. I recently got it out to cut a circle in MDF then worked out it was easier to use a router so the jigsaw got the flick back to where it resides. Seriously, I owned it for about 12 months before I first used it but when it is used there is no other way.

Dave Gaul
04-21-2010, 8:48 AM
I have a cheapo B&D jigsaw... vibrates like crazy and it's super loud... I don't use it too often, but when I need it, it does the job like nothing else I have can! Hoping to upgrade soon!

For a while, I used my rotozip for jigsaw type cuts. But having a jigsaw now is much better for certain cuts, like template making, where more control is needed.

Phillip Ngan
04-21-2010, 4:23 PM
I'm using a jigsaw instead of a bandsaw. The JS is mounted on a faceplate and drops into the router table. I have to say that cuts are not perpendicular and the cutting operation can be hazardous when the blade binds to the wood.

But, while I cannot fit a bandsaw into my shop, I'll continue to use this setup.

Erik Frederiksen
04-21-2010, 5:20 PM
I did the M & T joinery on this table with my Bosch jigsaw.
http://gallery.mac.com/erikfsn/100037/010503/web.jpg?ver=12504674230001

Van Huskey
04-21-2010, 5:47 PM
Very nice Erik!

The JS is the power saw of last resort for me. But as others have mentioned when you need it you REALLY need it.

Jason White
04-21-2010, 7:06 PM
I trim my dog's toenails with it. :p

Hello,
I’m thinking seriously about buying the Bosch 1590 jigsaw that everyone seems to like. But as with some tools that I’ve bought, I don’t have a “current” project that needs a quality jigsaw. So to help me make up my mind to go ahead with the purchase, if you don’t mind, can you tell me what projects, etc., do you use your jigsaw for?
Thanks,
Louis

Jim Crockett
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I have the same jigsaw that you are looking at - the Bosch 1590EVS and, while I don't use it daily, I do use it often. Like others have said, I use it to prepare templates, to cut to within 1/16" of a line for template routing, for circular cuts, rough cuts in lumber and plywood - cutting to approximate size. I don't have a bandsaw, so I use it for many tasks that would normally fall to the bs.

Pretty basically, I would ask myself if I wanted to buy the jigsaw or if I wanted to saw by hand with a coping or fret saw.

Jim

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-22-2010, 9:45 PM
I forgot that I've also used it to cope mounding. It's truly one of the handiest tools in the shop.

Jim Heffner
04-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Well, the truth is...I don't use it very much, but when I do use it, it is for cuts in a piece of stock that is impossible to make with the table saw or bandsaw.

There are places that nothing else seems to work properly...so the jigsaw
is called into play.Kind of like, late in the 4th quarter of a football game, your team is behind 7 points in a crucial game, you call in that special certain
running back to make a game winning touchdown and send the game into
overtime...if you know what I mean!

They are nice to have around ....but not used all that much. The one I have was given to me by a friend, a Porter Cable variable speed and all that...he just got tired of it, wanted to be rid of it.

Tom Jones III
04-24-2010, 7:45 AM
Mine is used very rarely, the last thing I can think of is using it to cut metal pipe. Other than that the vibration and blade flex and makes it so inaccurate and hard to use that I can't imagine using it for anything else.

Jay Allen
04-24-2010, 8:31 AM
If it is truly that bad, it must be very old or worn-out. The newer models all have an adjustable "stroke" that pushes the blade into the cut on the up-stroke. The old ones were not much more than a vibrator and didn't cut well at all.

I use mine quite a bit, enough that I have 2. One is a Bosch 1587 that I have had for several years, the other is a Makita cordless BJV180. The cordless is quick and easy, I keep it in a drawer at waist level directly behind my main workbench. It has it's limitations though, so the corded Bosch comes out then.