PDA

View Full Version : Another Cermark question

David Fairfield
04-19-2010, 4:54 PM
Guys does this stuff only stick to metal? Or can I use it to print on Plexiglass or other materials? Also, does it have any thickness? In other words if I spray painted over the entire finished piece, would I see the "Cermarked" areas as slightly raised?

Thanks!
Dave

Dan Hintz
04-19-2010, 7:23 PM
Never tried it, but I highly doubt you'll get it to stick to plastic. The melt point on plastic is entirely too low, and I don't see glass and plastic making a good bond.

If done on metal, the thickness is extremely low... if you put a wet spray of paint over it, the paint may make it completely disappear. If you make it a dry spray, you may see some difference in the right light/angle, but probably not much.

Gary Hair
04-20-2010, 11:36 AM
and I don't see glass and plastic making a good bond.

There is a coating product for glass and it works quite well.

You are right about plastic though, I can't see the plastic taking the heat necessary to get it to stick.

Gary Hair
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
if I spray painted over the entire finished piece, would I see the "Cermarked" areas as slightly raised?

You might see them as raised areas but it's really quite thin. I think you would see a difference in texture instead of seeing a raised area.

Dan Hintz
04-20-2010, 7:46 PM
There is a coating product for glass and it works quite well.
Gary,

I meant the glass frit that the Cermark is composed of and the acrylic not being a good match, not of Cermark being used to mark glass... there's a different formulation for that.

Dee Gallo
04-20-2010, 8:18 PM
Dave,

If you are TRYING to get a raised design, why not try putting two or three layers of tape down and burning through them. Then, spray paint and remove the tape, leaving the paint/thickness of the tape?

That way you can do it with cardboard, plastic, wood, whatever. Or am I misunderstanding what you are doing?

cheers, dee

Cindy Rhoades
04-21-2010, 6:43 AM
They do make a product by thermark that is formulated to work on plastic. I haven't used the plastic yet but everything rlse I have used works quite well.

David Fairfield
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks everyone! Interesting replies. Yeah I'm really just thinking about adding small raised texture to pieces, in a simple way, without burning out the entire background. And/or printing dark letters on clear plastic.

Dee, already using the masking tape, GMTA. :D Its a bit of a production line bottleneck though. Thanks for the tip on the Thermark for plastic, Cindy, gotta check that out!

Dave