PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worked with Astronium?

Kirk Simmons
04-19-2010, 2:32 PM
A co-worker of mine put in a 'Tigerwood' deck (http://tigerdeck.com/technical-data/), which is a commercial brand name referring to Astronium wood. Apparently it's from cashew trees (?) and very dense.

Regardless, when he had his deck put in he ordered extra boards and wants me to make some outdoor furniture made out of the stuff. I'm looking for any insights folks might have on what it's like to work with. Currently I haven't even seen it, other than in pictures.

Jim Kirkpatrick
04-19-2010, 2:48 PM
Is that anything like unobtainium?

Howard Klepper
04-19-2010, 3:04 PM
More common name in the lumber trade is Gonçalo alves. "Tigerwood" is one of those flooring marketing names-- by now they may be regretting it. Cashews? I don't think so.

Anyway, it's great wood for many purposes. I've turned it, built a guitar with it for back and sides, and put in a floor of it. Hard, heavy, stable. Cuts clean and sands well, takes a good polish.

Tim Cottle
04-19-2010, 3:20 PM
Is that anything like unobtainium?
I think all 3 are a by-product of dylithium crystals.

Mitchell Andrus
04-19-2010, 4:22 PM
I think all 3 are a by-product of dylithium crystals.

Cylindric Diamacron

For 20 bonus points, who said this on TV?

Aaron Wingert
04-19-2010, 4:22 PM
I've worked with it some. Never heard of it called astronium, and I've always known Tigerwood as goncalo alves. As stated, it cuts and finishes well. For outdoor use, I'd plan on a good oil finish if they don't want it to turn gray.

Tracy Hall
04-19-2010, 5:22 PM
Cylindric Diamacron

For 20 bonus points, who said this on TV?

Bob Newhart?

Leigh Betsch
04-19-2010, 6:38 PM
Norm??????????

Mitchell Andrus
04-19-2010, 7:01 PM
Bob Newhart?

Ding - ding - ding..... we have a winner. Great show, I miss those days.