PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for small laser etcher for hobby/home use

Giri Podichetty
04-19-2010, 1:43 PM
I was a member of TechShop in Portland Oregon. Due to financial issues, they closed and my access to the laser etcher/cutter went with it!

I'm looking to buy a small system (at least 12x16, ideally 12x24) with at least 25W or great. I mainly work with acrylic, wood & leather (cut & etch). This is for non-commercial/hobby use.

Any sugestions for systems (less than $10K, the lower the better)? I've used an Epilog and a chinese Rabbit system. I liked the Epilog in terms of usage, but the Eabbit system was OK (especially the price) after a lot a setup and tweaking.

John Noell
04-19-2010, 3:13 PM
You will find MANY MANY threads on this topic if you search this forum. To keep the price that low you can buy one of the better brands in either a used or a small new machine (e.g., Epilog Zing), or go Chinese. You will find all three have their advantages and disadvantages. There is no absolute right choice here.

Giri Podichetty
04-19-2010, 3:55 PM
Well, I've done quite a few searches and not turned up much is the way of current recommendations.

I'm look for recommendations from actual users/owners if possible. If not, some leads on machines to research.

Search engines are great, but the filtering of an informed user beats Google everytime.

Glenn Corser
04-19-2010, 5:51 PM
You might contact www.usedlasers.com (http://www.usedlasers.com) - Rob Bosworth. We bought a system from him and have been nothing but pleased. He is honest and will work hard to make you happy.

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-19-2010, 6:24 PM
Well, I've done quite a few searches and not turned up much is the way of current recommendations.

I'm look for recommendations from actual users/owners if possible. If not, some leads on machines to research.

Search engines are great, but the filtering of an informed user beats Google everytime.

I agree with John. "You will find MANY MANY threads on this topic if you search this forum." Use the Search feature in this forum and you will find all the answers you are seeking and even more answers to questions you have not yet thought about. It's easy to use. Click on Search and then fill in the key words you are looking for in the Search Forums field and then press GO.

Joe Pelonio
04-19-2010, 6:41 PM
On the previously mentioned threads there are comments from people that are using lasers made in China, as well as the US made brands. Whatever you do, check replacement tube prices, and availability of support before you buy.

John Noell
04-19-2010, 6:55 PM

Search engines are great, but the filtering of an informed user beats Google everytime. Truly truly truly - this is the same question many of us have asked here. Google THIS forum to get your current recommendations from actual users and owners. Bottom line is that there are happy owners of all brands. The vast majority of the main brands (mostly USA made) work great out of the box and have wonderful tech support. Many Chinese machines require some fiddling and may lack frills (as well as some things I find necessary - like air assist) but many people are quite satisfied with them. I think you will find that most of us here think your business plan and skill with CorelDraw are more important than the brand of laser you choose.

Dan Hintz
04-19-2010, 7:17 PM
For 25W, you may be able to get a new machine for $10k at that bed size if you find a good year-end sale (most of those are gone for the year, though). A better bet may be to pick up a lightly used machine, which you should have no problem finding for under $10k. At that price point, I would suggest a US-made machine over the Chinese version due to reduced fiddling, but if you've used a Rabbit machine already and didn't mind it, you can certainly save a bundle going that route.