PDA

View Full Version : Veneering Plywood Question

Stuart Simons
04-19-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm working on a project where I want to glue a bookmatched veneer (roughly 3/16"-1/4" thick) to a plywood panel. Do I need to veneer the opposite side of the panel with an equal thickness veneer to avoid unequal forces on the plywood even if the plywood is 5/8"-3/4" thick? The total size of the panel is about 15" square. Thanks.

David DeCristoforo
04-19-2010, 1:12 PM
The "rule of thumb" is to treat both sides the same in order to maintain equilibrium. That does not mean that you need to use "face grade" veneer on the unseen side of the panel but it should be of the same species if possible. There are always exceptions to this but I have found it prudent to follow this rule.

Mike Henderson
04-19-2010, 1:36 PM
As David pointed out, the general rule is to treat both sides the same. However, I have veneered only one side in certain cases and have not had problems.

To be safe, it would be good to veneer both sides. Use a cheap veneer on the back side.

Mike

Joe Chritz
04-20-2010, 4:17 AM
That seems a bit thick for shop sawn veneer. Generally 1/8th inch is about as wide as most people go for veneering.

It is a good idea to do both sides. You may not have a problem, especially if it is a captured panel but why take the chance.

Joe

Will Blick
04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I am no veneering expert, but I would like to be some day....

I recall reading that thick veneers can be problematic, because at the thickness you mention, the wood is still highly reactive and can fight the glue when the wood decides to move... either from humidity changes or just being reactive....

The value of the ultra thin veneer is..... its thinness makes its "will" less strong... much less strong than the glue and it can not move like it wants to as the glue strength overwhelms it... made perfect sense to me..... so you may give this some thought....

Quinn McCarthy
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I have a project coming up using 1/8" thick veneer and read on Joe WOodworker site about using a PPR type glue for thick veneer like that.I bought some from his web site but haven't used it yet.

Hope that helps.

Quinn