PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Lithium-Ion Battery Pack

Joseph Crivelli
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
A serious problem appears to exist with the Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Lithium-Ion Battery Pack. Below I’ve copied the message I sent Sears and the Craftsman Club this morning.

Has anyone else on this site had a similar experience?

On 06/09/09, I purchased the Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Lithium-Ion Battery Pack & Charger (item #033287141609) at Sears in Garden City, NY (Sales check # 010045522358). The battery pack worked well with my three Craftsman C3 19.2 volt tools:

Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Cordless Drill/Driver (item #00917191000)
Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Impact Driver (item #00917080000)
Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Work Light (item #00911391000)

About March 27, the battery pack indicated that it needed to be charged. I placed it in the charger. The charger ran through the charging sequence, but, when it indicated that the pack was charging, the indicator switched to full charged in about 30 seconds. When I placed the battery in the Drill/Driver, the tool worked when I pushed the trigger the first time, but it ceased to operate on the second push of the trigger. (However, the charger worked fine with my 4 Craftsman C3 Battery Pack and all of my C3 tools ran well with these Ni-Cad packs.)

After repeated tries to get the Lithium-Ion Battery Pack to charge, I returned the battery pack and charger to Sears in Hicksville, NY (Sales check # 012641090696).for a warranty exchange. I believe I got the last Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Lithium-Ion Battery Pack & Charger (item #033287141609) in the store.

Once I got the new battery pack home, I placed it in the charger. The charger ran through the charging sequence, but, when it indicated that the pack was charging, the indicator switched to full charged in about 30 seconds. When I placed the battery in the Drill/Driver, the tool work ed when I pushed the trigger the first time, but it ceased to operate on the second push of the trigger. Repeated tries elicited the same result.

The Sears web site no longer lists the Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Lithium-Ion Battery Pack & Charger (item #033287141609).

Since this problem happened with two of the battery packs, I am reluctant to simply exchange the item again. I would prefer to just have the battery pack replaced with one which has been tested and works.

Thank you!
Joseph L. Crivelli
Craftsman Club Member #7071100268094569

Andrew Pitonyak
04-19-2010, 2:31 PM
Although Lithium Ion batters have almost no memory effect, they are subject to aging problems - even if not in use. In other words, an old manufacture date is a problem. Also, they do not run all the way down gracefully and then recharge.

The last battery in the store was likely old, which does not help things. Also, it may have run down in storage, which can damage the batter.

Did you use a volt meter to see what the voltage is before you stick it in the charger and then again when it comes off of the charger?

A battery store (such as batteries plus) may have the ability to test the batteries and/or charger for you. They certainly have the ability to rebuild the battery packs, but, be prepared to pay. My experience with a few rebuilds is that the rebuilds work better than the original.

Joseph Crivelli
04-26-2010, 8:38 AM
Andrew,

I tested the battery on Saturday.
It never got above 8 volts.

My Ni-Cads read 19.2v when charged.

Joseph Crivelli
05-06-2010, 8:29 AM
I’m happy to report that the subject battery has been replaced with a fully functional one.
This outcome was due to the kind intervention of the Craftsman's Community Engagement Manager.
This was a problem that needed a contact familiar with the Craftsman line and had technical knowledge. While SEARS Customer Service sincerely tried to help, they don’t have Craftsman-knowledgeable personnel to assist customers.
Anyone who uses Craftsman products should join the Craftsman Club.