PDA

View Full Version : 1st rolling pin

Paul Singer
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Never posted a picture here so hope that part works. Turned most of this with a 1/2" bowl gouge and lots of sand paper. I know that this is not the right tool but it worked the best for me. My question is what would be the best finish for this if it is really going to get used.

Thanks

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad242/msawdust/rollingpins.jpg

John Keeton
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
George, the pic worked, and worked well!! Very nice job on the rolling pin. What is the 4th wood? I see cherry, walnut, maple, and perhaps poplar??

I have not done any kitchen utensils, but if it is going to be used, you will want a renewable finish - perhaps just mineral oil?? It will be washed frequently I imagine, and most finishes will not hold up to that. The mineral oil can be reapplied anytime and is food safe from the start. Any of the finishes are food safe after fully cured, but not necessarily when freshly applied.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2010, 11:29 AM
George that is a very nice rolling pin. Nice color combo.

Dennis Ford
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Nice rolling pin, very attractive and also functional.

I disagree about "not the right tool". Any tool that does the job safely should not be dismissed as "not right". Some methods are easier than others but the only woodturning rule I believe in is "Don't bleed on the wood".

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2010, 1:56 PM
Nice work! I would think any mineral oil or butcher block oil would work well for a rolling pin. If you wanted a surface finish - then I would check into the salad bowl finishes.

Paul Singer
04-19-2010, 2:44 PM
The fourth wood is Mahogany. My Daughter is the Office Manager for a large law firm and they did a remodel on their offices they were throwing out a bunch of Mahogany shelving so she brought it home to me. Wish I had gotten more but at the time I did not think I would ever have a use for it. Turns nice.

Pat Johnson
04-19-2010, 4:45 PM
for a rolling pin you dont want any finnish. you dont want oil on your pie crust.

David E Keller
04-19-2010, 9:16 PM
It's pretty. Nice wood combo. It seems a shame not to put some oil on it as the colors would really pop... Even a soft wax finish would bring out a little warmth.

Rich Aldrich
04-19-2010, 9:24 PM
Nice rolling pin. I like the different woods and the shape. I saw some pins another guy makes, but instead of the knobs on the end, he just tapers them. I like this style better.

Nothing wrong with the bowl gouge. The skew could give you a much better finish on the cylinder itself once you have it roughed out. I have been forcing myself to use the skew, but I make sure to watch someone do a particular operation before I do it myself.

Curt Fuller
04-19-2010, 9:36 PM
Great looking rolling pin! I've done a few from a solid piece of wood and I agree that it's a lot harder than it seems it would be to get a nice flat and straight surface. Nice job.

Patrick Doody
04-19-2010, 9:44 PM
great pin! the wood looks great together. The kind that taper on the ends are french style rolling pins, they are great for rolling out pastry.

Donny Lawson
04-19-2010, 9:47 PM
Very nice rolling pin.Would you pass out the dimensions of it? Length,etc. I think I would like to try this.My sister-n-law would love one like it.
Thanks, Donny

Baxter Smith
04-19-2010, 9:52 PM
Nice rolling pin! Like the combination of woods as well.

David Walser
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
George,

That's a fine looking rolling pin. Who's it for? Before I gave my wife her rolling pin, I extracted a promise it would only be used for rolling and never for enforcing house rules!

As for how to finish the pin, here are some thoughts: Since you used some open grain woods, I'd suggest filling the open pores with some sanding sealer (or a couple of coats of Deft wiping lacquer). After the pores are filled flush with the surface of the pin, I'd use steel wool or fine sandpaper to knock the sanding sealer back down to the bare wood. Then, I'd use mineral oil to give the pin a nice finished look. The oil won't get in the way of rolling out pie dough -- the user will dust the pin with a coat of flour before using it anyway.

Well done! It's sure to be treasured.

Paul Singer
04-20-2010, 6:51 AM
The dimensions are 18" long overall by 2 1/2" diameter and the knobs are about 3" long from the start of the transition. It is very comfortable to use.

I do have an agreement that it will never be used as a weapon against me anyways.

Thanks for all of the comments you guys are always so supportive.

Cathy Schaewe
04-20-2010, 7:55 AM
It's beautiful!