PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Don Williams Michigan
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I am a hobby engraver but have been asked to create an outdoor memorial plate for a friend that recently passed away. Is there a "go to" laserable plastic that will withstand outdoor weather? It will be in Michigan so sun, rain, snow, cold, etc.

My intention would be to mount it on a cedar blank.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.
Thank you,

Larry Bratton
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Corian would be good. Otherwise check Rowmark engraving plastics marked for exterior use.

John Noell
04-19-2010, 3:16 PM
Rowmark's Metalgraph+ line is supposed to hold up to the weather (it has lasted two years in tropical light and salt air so far for me). However, it is easy to mar. If people are going to be touching or cleaning it very much it might not hold up.

Ross Moshinsky
04-19-2010, 3:48 PM
I'd suggest making a bronze casting if budget permits. I use Matthews. It's costly, but is nice and lasts forever. My next suggestion is IkonMetal from Ikonic. I used it. It was pretty decent but not fantastic. Otherwise, black marble engraves VERY nicely(no paint fill needed). Granite is more durable, but requires paint fill. Not the biggest deal in the world, but can be a royal pain. Corian is also a good suggestion as you can just paint fill it and sand it down afterwards. It cuts and routes not much different than wood. The cheapest, and easiest solution is some sort of plastic. If it's for a friend, I'd stay away from a piece of plastic. If it's for a customers pet, plastic might be good enough.

Larry Bratton
04-19-2010, 3:59 PM
Corian IS plastic. It is solid acrylic. It can be filled with solid surface adhesives if routed deep enough. Paint fill works also for engraving. Its good for 50 years or so outside (as reported in this forum)

Dan Hintz
04-19-2010, 7:13 PM
And engraved marble won't handle the outdoors very well...

Don Williams Michigan
04-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I appreciate all of the feedback. I have never tried to engrave Corian. Some additional questions.

Will the paint fill hold up to weather?
Is Corian available to purchase in smaller quantities for the engraving industry?

Thank you,