PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus Grandis?

Eric DeSilva
04-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Anyone played with this stuff? I was out at Northland Forest Products to pick up some stock for a project, and this stuff really stood out from the other piles. Virtually no knots, nice, uniform pink color. Dead straight, no cups or bows. And 100% FSC certified.

The guy there called it the poor man's mahogany and said it stains and works really nice. I picked up a 10' piece of 5/4, maybe 8" wide. The best part? The 5/4 was $4.50/bd ft. Given how nicely it was rough sawn (almost looked like S2S) and the lack of bowing/cupping, seems like you would have very little waste working it. Just wonder what others have thought if they have used it... Here's a pic off NFP's site:

http://www.northlandforest.com/eucalyptus_grandis.shtml

That pic doesn't lie--that is what the piles really looked like.

Prashun Patel
04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I used it.

It's a poor man's AFRICAN mahogany, which is a poor man's HONDURAN mahogany. It's a grain match to mahogany, but not a color match once finished. (DAMHIKT!)

I found it to be clearer and less 'switchy' than AF mahogany, so it planes a little easier.

It can get splintery, so beware that.

I found it to be extremely stable.

If properly dyed, it can be made to match richer mahoganies.

It will not darken appreciably with time. Rather, it will get slightly orange with time and light.

A lot of cabinet makers are using it around here. Definitely an ecofriendlier choice since the stuff grows wicked fast...

It machines about as well as Af mahogany on the tsaw and router.

Danny Hamsley
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
It is one of the species that the trademark lyptus is brand is sawn from.