PDA

View Full Version : Footprint Planes

David Nelson1
04-19-2010, 9:13 AM
Morning All,

I would like to ask ya'lls opinion of Footprint planes. The comments I have seen have been mostly positive, which I have taken with a grain of salt. Before everyone says ya get what ya pay for I know that.... I'm extremely new to wood working and have only used a plane for the first time this weekend tring to square a glued up panel. I have been given some good advise on another tread about what to use for a shooting board. Looking around this morning I found this package deal. Looks good to me may need a few adjustments out of the box. I'm open for comments before I pull a trgger.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00987691000P#specs

Brian Kent
04-19-2010, 9:54 AM
Pull the trigger and you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

The path to inexpensive planes is rehabbing old Stanleys or buying rosewood mujingfang planes from Lee Valley or Japan Woodworker.

Sam Takeuchi
04-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Don't. I haven't personally used those, but I'm pretty sure they are made to match the low quality common in most budget planes. A lot of times, these budget planes need little more than a 'few adjustments' to get them into good order. Stuff like Anant, Groz, Kunz, Stanley, these, and whatever cheap stuff you see sold, if you are serious about getting result on wood, these brands of planes will not do unless you first spend a lot of time reading and researching, acquiring materials to tune them up (it can be costly if you are on budget), and spend time working on them before you can even start working on wood.

If tool fettling is one of your interests at this point, these will probably provide you with enough stuff to fix, but if you want to actually work on wood, get one good plane and use it. Having four mediocre performing planes really doesn't give you any head start from having one good plane. WoodRiver brand of planes are of reputably decent quality, is about $120 I believe. Another option is to buy a vintage plane that's already tuned up. I really don't think you should waste your money buying junk tools such as these.

Prashun Patel
04-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I have a Footprint low angle block plane (one of the ones in yr pic). It cost me $30 and I can say I'm happy. Required a little tuning, but has served as a great learning and using tool.

As for the others in the set, I think it's a waste of $$. I have about 4 of the type regular block plane in the pic. IMHO...useless.

Can't speak to the jack and smoother in the pic, but from my experience, they're harder to tune than block planes, and you might be in for a frustrating experience.

Zach England
04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
If you want a cheap block plane I will give you an Anant for the cost of shipping. PM me if you want it.

michael osadchuk
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Morning All,

I would like to ask ya'lls opinion of Footprint planes. The comments I have seen have been mostly positive, which I have taken with a grain of salt. Before everyone says ya get what ya pay for I know that.... I'm extremely new to wood working and have only used a plane for the first time this weekend tring to square a glued up panel. I have been given some good advise on another tread about what to use for a shooting board. Looking around this morning I found this package deal. Looks good to me may need a few adjustments out of the box. I'm open for comments before I pull a trgger.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00987691000P#specs

David,

I bought the Footprint #5 foreplane when I was getting back into woodworking about fifteen years ago.....one side of the plane - the one that I would use on a shooting board - is not perpendicular to the sole, so I can't use it for that purpose. I know its limitations so I haven't retired it.
But since then I've learnt from the internet community of hobby and professional woodworkers and would not be buying that plane or the set you are looking at.

You have a Stanley #3 so consider buying a tuned (fettled!) jackplane (#6) and a low angle block plane from a reputable dealer others can recommend - and learn how to sharpen the blade - look up Derek Cohen's website 'intheworkshop' for a no cost honing guide - and continue to do reading on handplanes on the internet .... there is a ton of good guidance there.......

good luck

michael

jerry nazard
04-19-2010, 1:46 PM
Nancy Regan's advice: "Say no to drugs"
Jerry Nazard's advice: "Say no to Sears"
:D:D:D

Prashun Patel
04-19-2010, 1:54 PM
David,
Footprint #5 foreplane...
jackplane (#6)...

Not trying to be a W.A. here, Michael, but I think a #6 is a fore, and #5 is a jack.

Jim Koepke
04-19-2010, 2:07 PM
I agree with most of what others have said.

If you are interested in "doing a few adjustments" a flea market or yard sale find may take a little longer to score, but will be a lot better in the long run. Take a little time to educate yourself about what to look for and how to determine the date of making and you will likely come up with some winners.

For something working straight out of the box you could likely buy better planes than the Sears offering that have been fettled by others for not much more than the Sears price.

One thing to consider is the Sears planes may have plastic handles. An early Stanley will be rosewood and even the later Stanley planes used painted or stained hardwood until recently.

Have fun hunting,

jim

David Nelson1
04-19-2010, 2:16 PM
everyone I have run into more information than I can digest in one day. I will NOT be purchasing the sears planes. The sticky about FAQ has more usfull info in one spot. Thanks to everyone here it makes it a bit easier for a rookie to get started.

Chris Hudson42
04-19-2010, 4:15 PM
I bought a Footprint 4B perhap 5 months ago when I was just getting into planes.

Did so after reading a relatively positive review in FWW - saying it was 'made in Sheffield England', reasonably well-machined, etc.

The Plane arrived - marked 'Made in China'. It was a complete POS. Worst finish, worst machining (what there was of it) I have ever seen in a plane.

Apparently, manufacuring shifted to China within the last few years. The 'good reviews' likely come from those lucky enough to get English planes. The bad, those stuck with the Chinese ones.

'Run, don't walk' - from current Footprint Chinese Planes.

On the other hand, I did recently buy a set of Woodriver Chinese planes when they were 20% off and free shipping.

I am very happy with them. Great value for money - IMHO. Try one at a Woodcraft, and see how you like it. Far better than Anant (yes, I own a Kamal #3 unfortunately), and close to fit and finish of my LV BU Smoother. (Which I'd recomend over the Woodrivers if you can afford it).

Good Luck!

scott spencer
04-19-2010, 4:26 PM
I think you'd be better off with something that has better bones to start with than the Footprint, whether via an older Millers Falls, Record, Bailey, Bedrock, Union, Sargent, or a newer Lie Nielsen/Veritas, which all have superior precision and metal choices in key areas than the inexpensive modern planes made overseas. Compare almost any part of a new Footprint, Groz, Anant, or even a new Stanley Sweetheart to the parts used on a plane made prior to 1950...everything from screws, levers, caps, adjusters, soles and totes is either thinner, sloppier, softer, lower grade, cheaper, or all of the above.

Good quality planes on a budget (http://lumberjocks.com/knotscott/blog/14523)

David Nelson1
04-19-2010, 7:54 PM
I think you'd be better off with something that has better bones to start with than the Footprint, whether via an older Millers Falls, Record, Bailey, Bedrock, Union, Sargent, or a newer Lie Nielsen/Veritas, which all have superior precision and metal choices in key areas than the inexpensive modern planes made overseas. Compare almost any part of a new Footprint, Groz, Anant, or even a new Stanley Sweetheart to the parts used on a plane made prior to 1950...everything from screws, levers, caps, adjusters, soles and totes is either thinner, sloppier, softer, lower grade, cheaper, or all of the above.

Good quality planes on a budget (http://lumberjocks.com/knotscott/blog/14523)

Thanks for the read and the heads up. I'm going to take a bit different approach. Zach has offered an Anant for postage. I can't go wrong with that as a learner. Everyone has tried to steer me to something other than the readily available cheap stuff. Being a mechanic and machinist for close to 40 years I understand what cheap tools are. Matter of fact I have been burned with expensive tools as well. Again I appreciate everyone's comments.

James Scheffler
04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
I bought a Footprint 4B perhap 5 months ago when I was just getting into planes.

Did so after reading a relatively positive review in FWW - saying it was 'made in Sheffield England', reasonably well-machined, etc.

(snip)

'Run, don't walk' - from current Footprint Chinese Planes.

Good Luck!

FWIW, the Sheffield factory closed nearly a year ago. Looks like you just missed getting a little better tool, though still probably not up to old Stanley quality.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=NEXT&StoreCode=toolstore&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html

(you have to search for "footprint" in the search box)

Jim

John A. Callaway
04-20-2010, 11:42 AM
David, being a machinist, grab up some good deals on the ebay. Easy to fix up, or well...clean up. I can tell you, I dropped a little too much on a stanley no. 3 a while back at a antique store, but even still.... the results speak for them selves. I compared my plane to a buck brothers plane that home depot sells...( a buddy bought one. Not me I swear :o) the difference are interesting to say the least.

the first thing you should do though is get the book Hand Plane Essentials by C. Schwarz . This will steer you in the right path from the first page.

David Nelson1
04-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Cool, Thanks for the advise. I'm looking @ 4 planes on Ebay as we speak. I'll look for the book you mentioned.

Rob Fisher
04-20-2010, 1:54 PM
...the first thing you should do though is get the book Hand Plane Essentials by C. Schwarz . This will steer you in the right path from the first page...

This is excellent advise. I got this book a couple of weeks ago and have been working my way through it. It is actually an easy read as it is a collection of previous articles so each one is only a few pages long at most. Ugh, where was this book when I first started buying planes...thankfully most of them are not complete junk. :D

Definitely get this book.
Rob

James Carmichael
04-20-2010, 5:28 PM
Once again, I have to put in my plug for true DIY...make your own woody.

For the same time and probably less money spent aquiring and tuning an old Bailey, you can make a Krenov-style woodie that performs even better.

Erik Manchester
04-20-2010, 7:53 PM
Since you are all over Footprint planes, here is a Lee Valley No 4 from the early 80's that was made by Footprint. I have not seen too many of these but LV carried them for a few years in the days before Veritas planes were produced. This one is nice and flat, though I understand that they were not always so and LV fettled many before sale. I sharpened the blade and it cuts well, but no better than my older Stanleys and Millers Falls. This one is a keeper for posterity.

Erik ;)

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/beletuen/Tools/Planes/ParagonPlane3.jpg

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx344/beletuen/Tools/Planes/ParagonPlane2.jpg

Bob Strawn
04-20-2010, 8:49 PM
Once again, I have to put in my plug for true DIY...make your own woody.

For the same time and probably less money spent aquiring and tuning an old Bailey, you can make a Krenov-style woodie that performs even better.

Agreed entirely, buy a Hock, make a Krenov! Nuff' said.

Bob

John A. Callaway
04-20-2010, 9:01 PM
high on my list is to order a hock woody kit. Still trying to figure what all I need to do it.... dont wanna shape it with a jig saw and a orbital sander though....hahaha....:eek:

I figure a set of carving knives and maybe a spokeshave ? I got tools basically to dovetails and a good table saw that is right now.

David Nelson1
04-21-2010, 11:47 AM
a 601/2 plane off of Ebay last night.

jerry nazard
04-21-2010, 2:06 PM
David,

Good start! Sharpen it up, treat it nice, and your grandchildren can one day use it!

-Jerry

David Nelson1
04-21-2010, 5:08 PM
Grandkids LOL Got a grand dog.

David Nelson1
04-22-2010, 11:15 AM
4C needs a bit of work, but I gave next to nothing for it. The 40 looks fairly good but I'm sure something will be needed. Less that 90.00 incl. shipping for both.

Bob Easton
04-24-2010, 1:47 PM
I bought the Footprint #5 foreplane when I was getting back into woodworking about fifteen years ago.....one side of the plane - the one that I would use on a shooting board - is not perpendicular to the sole, so I can't use it for that purpose. ...l

The frame of a plane not being square is NOT a reason to prevent it from being used on a shooting board. Adjust the lateral lever to compensate.

george wilson
04-24-2010, 2:30 PM
That's a completely wrong idea,Bob. How are you going to control the depth of cut ?

Jim Koepke
04-24-2010, 2:32 PM
The frame of a plane not being square is NOT a reason to prevent it from being used on a shooting board. Adjust the lateral lever to compensate.

I have seen some planes were there is not enough movement in the lateral adjuster to correct for this problem.

I have a plane that is pretty good on the right side for shooting, but the left side is pretty far out of square.

I have also seen planes where the side is not flat enough to lay stably on that side.

jim

Bob Easton
04-24-2010, 2:57 PM
That's a completely wrong idea,Bob. How are you going to control the depth of cut ?

Sorry George. I shoot with my #7 frequently. The lateral adjustment makes sure I get a square cut. The DEPTH adjustment controls the depth of cut ... really fine for most shooting.

Brian Kent
04-24-2010, 3:03 PM
high on my list is to order a hock woody kit. Still trying to figure what all I need to do it.... dont wanna shape it with a jig saw and a orbital sander though....hahaha....:eek:

I figure a set of carving knives and maybe a spokeshave ? I got tools basically to dovetails and a good table saw that is right now.

You need a drill - preferably a drill press. If you want to go minimalist on shaping, add a pair of contour planes for $30. Excellent!
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=46321&cat=1,41182,46334

george wilson
04-24-2010, 4:07 PM
The blade still sticks out on one side more than on the other when the iron is in crooked. maybe the "low" side of the blade manages to control cut depth. I'd rather get a decent plane.

David Nelson1
04-24-2010, 4:30 PM
I have seen some planes were there is not enough movement in the lateral adjuster to correct for this problem.

I have a plane that is pretty good on the right side for shooting, but the left side is pretty far out of square.

I have also seen planes where the side is not flat enough to lay stably on that side.

jim

Great now I have something else to look @ LOL