PDA

View Full Version : T&G Router Bit Recommendations?

David Dalzell
04-19-2010, 7:26 AM
I need to buy a T&G router bit set. Currently I will be using 5/8 walnut, but other thicknesses will come later. I use mainly hardwoods such as walnut, oak and cherry. Do I need a different T&G set for each thickness of wood or are they useable for various thicknesses? I see that they sell both "wedge" and straight type sets. Which is better? I have Whiteside and Freud bits but no T&G sets. Any recommendations and/or advice?

Joe Chritz
04-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Most sets allow a range of thicknesses of stock. In reality it is just a slot and a tongue so there is a lot of fudge factor in where said slot goes.

The wedge is just for looks and depends on your taste. The only T&G set I have is a square edge and that was just to match some existing flooring.

Mine is a shaper cutter and I think it is from MLCS. Decent quality stuff for the price. Eagle America and grizzly seem to be comparable in that price range.

Generally if I am going to use the bit or cutter a lot I go get the best I can. Freud, Whiteside or CMT are a couple favorites.

Joe

Glen Butler
04-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I use the freud 99-036. http://www.freudtools.com/p-155-adjustable-tongue-groove-bit-set.aspx

trevor adair
04-19-2010, 1:09 PM
+1 on the freud 99-03, The adjustable sizing is worth the extra $'s.