PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon spin

Sean Hughto
04-18-2010, 9:21 PM
While I've been reading along for the last several weeks, I haven't been able to post much as work has been busy and lathe time scarce. This afternoon I finally got a couple hours to play and made this shallow bowl form from a hunk of birch. Around 15" x 3.5" - finished with walnut oil and beeswax. It's nothing much, but I felt like posting, really just to say hi to you all and share a bit. Hope you all had good weekends!

Warm regards,

Sean

John Keeton
04-18-2010, 9:26 PM
Very nicely done, Sean!! Sorry to hear that shop time has been scarce, but during these times, you are fortunate to have work!

BTW, nice job turning the apples - they look quite real!!!:D;)

Sean Hughto
04-18-2010, 9:30 PM
Thanks, John. Yeah, course God gets all the credit for those apples. I just threw 'em in for scale and color.

I have actually reminded myself several times lately (while on airplanes and in hotel roooms or up late working again) that I'm lucky to have my job. I don't take it for granted at all. Still miss my lathe time though!

David E Keller
04-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice looking bowl. I doesn't look like you've lost anything in your time away from the lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Really nice looking bowl Sean. Glad you got some shop time. Need that every once in a while.

Patrick Doody
04-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Beautiful bowl, I picked up a load of birch this morning, your bowl gives me some inspiration!
nice looking finish too.

Steve Schlumpf
04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Good looking bowl Sean! Nice size and a perfect form for a fruit bowl!

Hope you are able to get some more time in the shop soon! Looking forward to seeing what you'll turn next!

Baxter Smith
04-19-2010, 8:21 AM
Nice looking bowl and great shape for displaying the apples or whatever fruit is in season!

Cathy Schaewe
04-19-2010, 9:32 AM
Beautiful bowl!

Just curious - how thick is it? I've been having problems with making larger bowls too thin, so they don't feel right to me. But when they're on the lathe, they feel too thick, so I keep turning. I'm trying to get some idea on what the right proportions are -

Sean Hughto
04-19-2010, 9:43 AM
From the lip to where the foot starts, the walls are between 1/4 and 3/8ths. I left some weight on the foot for stability and because I wanted a smooth curve through the interior, though the foot is hollowed somewhat on the underside. I'm not expert by any means. I tend to like to make large hardwood bowls relatively thin for two reasons. First, they are likely to be HEAVY to move around if they are too thick (plus the wood is plenty strong even at 1/4"). And second, if the wood is at all damp, the thinner walls seem to better resist cracking as they dry out.

I'd welcome any more expereinced folks jumping in to give their two cents on thickness. I tend to think that like curves, rims, feet, and other basic design features of bowls, their is plenty of room for all sorts of stuff (no one right way), and that expereince is the best teacher (just keep turning).

And thanks everyone for the kind comments.

John Keeton
04-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Sean, I think your approach on wall thickness is right on the money. With the very limited experience I have, it seems one can get caught up in doing walls that are consistently thin. In reality, it is the form of the exterior, and the interior, and how they relate - rather than the actual thickness/thinness of the walls. In fact, I think inconsistent wall thickness actually suits more forms than does uniformity. Getting balance in the bowl may require some "meat" in the bottom, and a corresponding heft in the rim, with the center portion of the walls more thin.

Obviously, on a fair curve bowl, with no rim, and/or no foot, then the above may not be applicable.