PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Deft Spray"

Donny Lawson
04-18-2010, 9:09 PM
Would Deft spray be about the same as Spray poly?I'm working on a bowl that has alot of voids and wipe on poly would not be good to finish with.I'm looking for something that will reach into the voids for a gloss in a spray.Whats your suggestion?
Donny

Curt Fuller
04-18-2010, 11:52 PM
One (Deft) is lacquer, the other is polyurethane. The Deft is very fast drying and you can spray multiple coats in a short time, usually several per hour. The Poly takes the better part of the day before you can recoat. But both are nice finishes, just a matter of preference. And both will penetrate the voids etc.

Robert McGowen
04-19-2010, 9:06 AM
Maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but "Deft" is a brand name, not an actual type of finish. I used some Deft spray lacquer last week and it was very easy to use.

Prashun Patel
04-19-2010, 9:10 AM
I'm guessing yr talking about the Deft 'spray' that's available in the BORG's of the world. That's usually the Deft Spray Lacquer. I really like this stuff. Sprays and dries smooth. I did a toy set for my son. I sprayed 3 coats in 30min successions, and then denibbed with 600g.

I've had equal luck with Minwax spray poly. This thing I like about the Deft is that it dries harder and is therefore friendlier to rubbing out, which gives a nice touch...

Mike McAfee
04-19-2010, 9:59 AM
I find Deft to be almost fool proof! My standard finish is Deft over BLO!

Sean Nagle
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
I read the Popular Woodworking article about lacquers recently. The article mentioned amber and white nitrocellulose lacquers. Would the Deft lacquers be considered a "white lacquer". I've used the Deft products and they do not seem to be very clear.

Paul Atkins
04-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Deft spray lacquer or 'clear finish' that I've used has not been very good for anything. Too soft, full of stearates, not water resistant, stinks and just isn't permanent. The antique dealers around here use it by the gallons. First they strip with Greene's, wash down sometimes, slop on Watco, and then spray on a bunch of Deft. Usually in one day. Then they decide that the glue joints need attention. No glue will stick to that junk, so they ask me to 'just fix it'. Whew! It's a good thing I don't do repair work any more. There is no substitute for quality lacquers.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Deft spray lacquer is about as easy to use as it gets. I use it all the time for a clear, hard finish. I have not had any problems with it and several coats can be put on in a hour. Minwax spray poly is a good spray finish also. Takes longer depending on humidity and temp you can generally recoat after a light sanding with 400 in about 2 hrs. Minwax lacquer is pretty good also but I don't like it as much as Deft.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-19-2010, 1:22 PM
Deft spray lacquer or 'clear finish' that I've used has not been very good for anything. Too soft, full of stearates, not water resistant, stinks and just isn't permanent.

Deft is a brand. I have a cofee mug finished with Deft, I've used it nearly every day for a year, and not have any issues. Some other clear finishes are not too durable, but I like Deft. Perhaps you got a bad can?

Paul Atkins
04-19-2010, 2:58 PM
I realize Deft is a brand, as is Watco or Kleenex. I have used Deftthane which was ok. The stuff I am talking about is basically lacquer sanding sealer called clear wood finish. I am talking about 25 years of experience of dealing with it. I have sprayed hundreds of gallons of lacquer and sanding sealer and cheap lacquer is not worth it for a good finish. Sanding sealer is not a final finish. Fortunately I'm out of that business.

Mike Peace
04-19-2010, 4:22 PM
You might consider clear acrylic spray. It seems to go on like spray can lacquer but you can red-coat in 10 min. vs 30 min for lacquer. Krylon is on brand name. They have some at Walmart about $3.50 a can that is called triple thick. It has more solids in it for a faster build up.

Donny Lawson
04-19-2010, 6:04 PM
OK, Deft is a brand name but I hear all the time about someone using it for a finish and with the voids in the piece I'm working with I need a spray.Will someone take a picture of the can and let me know of some places to get it.Can you buy this at Lowes or Home Depot?,or is it just at wood stores?
Donny

Jeff Nicol
04-19-2010, 6:21 PM
Donny, Deft makes a lacquer sanding sealer, spray lacquer, and now spray on poly. The thing that most people like about Deft products is that the spray is very fine and the chance of getting orange peel is lessened with the finer mist of the deft sprays. I have tried Cabots brand and Varathane and Deft has the nicest spray pattern of all of them. Here is the picture of Deft spray.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=8797&ss=f8e25b24-25d0-4ed7-81cc-f8e78447dfa5

I also have used some of the spray one water based poly and lacquer products with pretty good luck so that is an option too.

Jeff

Mike McAfee
04-19-2010, 6:24 PM
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17624

Here's a pic Donny but buy it from HD or Lowes as it'll be a bit cheaper! I know the gloss is a buck or so less than the satin so if ya don't mind dulling down the final coat then get the gloss cuz after 3500 cans worth in savings you can get a PM!:cool:

MMc

Donny Lawson
04-19-2010, 9:01 PM
Here is a picture of the bowl I'm working on.
Donny

Robert Parrish
04-19-2010, 9:18 PM
Donny, I bought mine at Ace hardware. I was actually spraying some toys with it today and was unhappy with the coverage so I switched to Masters spray lacquer from Craft Supplies. Masters worked a lot better for me as it has more solids. I also occasionally use it for pens and bottle stoppers.