PDA

View Full Version : Font help

Pat Shirkey
04-18-2010, 7:53 PM
Hi everyone - Happy Spring even though it is in the 40's and frost here. Was wondering if anyone might now what font this might be. It is all I have to work with. I have tried Idenitfont and Whats My Font, but not having much luck. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Darryl Hazen
04-19-2010, 12:43 PM
It looks like it might be "Librarian"

Richard Rumancik
04-19-2010, 1:55 PM
Pat, if you only need to do a single character, it would be easy to just grab any "J" that is remotely close, convert it to curves, and edit it, using the bitmap you have as a guide (background layer - locked.) After you convert the J to curves you can move nodes, add nodes, and adjust curvature. (Some people are better at drawing in CorelDraw and would just trace by hand from scratch.)

Ed Hutton
04-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi gang,

I've been lurking here for awhile. I'm using a Versalaser to engrave mostly plastic, but currently I have a job in fabric.

This piece is a cap, a garmet, with lettering on it. A lot of lettering. I can vector cut the cloth in a matter of seconds, but the bitmap fonts take forever to raster engrave (like 10 minutes).

I can hear the gantry rolling back and forth as the cloth is engraved. The vector cutting is so fast!

I was wondering if I switched to vector fonts would this job speed up?

Anyone use vector fonts?

Best Regards,

Ed Hutton

Doug Griffith
04-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Fonts these days are mostly vector. Convert them to outlines if they are. If you only have bitmap fonts, there is probably a vector equivalent as postscript or truetype.

Ed Hutton
04-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Beyond getting better with the laser I'm going up the curve on a CAD tool and CorelDraw at the same time.

Selecting the characters in Corel, changing to curves, setting the line width to hairline, and removing the fill, did the trick nicely. All the characters are now vector images.

Switch to a color which the laser interperts as vector, adjust the power and speed, and vector engrave the characters.

From almost an hour to less than six minutes... Good day!

Anyone got some other make the laser vector cut and vector engrave more quickly tips?