PDA

View Full Version : Goblet wood suggestions?

Patrick Ely
04-18-2010, 7:21 PM
My college roommate is getting married in June and I am trying to make a goblet/chalice to be used in a wedding ceremony. I have been playing with shape and think I am going to do a simple goblet with interlocked rings based on some designs shown here. My question is what type of wood? They would like to be able to use the chalice 1-2 times a year for special occasions. I have read about different ways of sealing the wood, epoxies etc and am trying to figure out what will work best any suggestions? I am also thinking of just oiling the interior (The coupe says they don't mind if it becomes discolored from the wine it is more for sentiment) But I am wondering if some woods are going to be much better than others for this application? Thanks for your help
Cheers
Pat

Tony De Masi
04-18-2010, 8:25 PM
Patrick, I've made them out of maple, cherry, walnut, and mesquite, all with good results. Most finishes these days, when fully cured, are food safe so the choice is up to you. I prefer to turn them from wet wood then DNA, then turn to final thickness. However, if you use mesquite you can turn to final thickness even when wet.

Tony

David E Keller
04-18-2010, 8:57 PM
I would think any dense wood with tight grain would work. Maple, cherry, bois d'arc, and mesquite for domestics. There are lots of dense exotics but allergy issue exist for some. Bloodwood would be an interesting choice because the staining wouldn't be as noticable. You could use contrasting wood for the rings.

I'd finish with BLO and a thick coat of bees wax.

Derek Noel
04-18-2010, 9:24 PM
This is a little off the wall but now that i have thought of it i want to try it.

It is a goblet for wine so why not glue up a segmented piece out of parts of an old wine barrel.
You could finish it or char the inside like was done to the original barrel.
(never done this so it may not be a good idea but here is an idea worth what you are paying for it):D.

I have used reclaimed barrel staves to make an arched candle holder and the wood has interesting color and charter. The ends of the barrel are flat and only slightly charred on the inside. If you like wine the sawdust smells really good.

alex carey
04-18-2010, 10:05 PM
just another idea, you could have the top half made of glass and the stem made of wood.

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I have used cherry, maple, walnut and mesquite with good results.

Ernie Nyvall
04-19-2010, 12:31 AM

I don't know anything about segmenting and what glue you use, but would the charing process cause the segments to come apart? It is a cool idea though.

Patrick Ely
04-19-2010, 9:02 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! The charring idea intrigues me I may have to give that a try. I will try to post some pics.

Scott Lux
04-19-2010, 9:24 AM
Use red-oak. You'll make the first wedding goblet/dribble glass!

Steve Trauthwein
04-19-2010, 1:09 PM
I really like rose wood for golblets. You can use what ever wood appeals to you if you seal the vessel on the inside. I used 30 minute epoxy thinned with dna to finish the inside. About three coats and it is water proof and stain proof.

Regards, Steve

Jim Terrill
04-19-2010, 2:51 PM
(never done this so it may not be a good idea but here is an idea worth what you are paying for it):D.

If you mean charring it and leaving it unfinished, I wouldn't do that or any wine that comes out of it will taste like charcoal. The barrels are charred to add complexity and tannins during long aging and are not overly strong because the relative surface area is small, not so with a goblet. A goblet would have high surface area and low volume. YMMV, but I wouldn't do it.

David E Keller
04-19-2010, 9:18 PM
I don't know anything about segmenting and what glue you use, but would the charing process cause the segments to come apart? It is a cool idea though.

Titebond II or III should be fine. Epoxy would be another option.

Curt Fuller
04-19-2010, 9:45 PM
If I were making one for actual use, even just an occasional use, I think I'd mask the inside of the cup portion and leave it unfinished. I might also steer away from some of the really oily woods and rosewoods. I've made quite a few wedding goblets but they've usually been intended for just looks rather than actual use. But for a toast and maybe a yearly anniversary toast I think the bare wood would be as good as any finish.

Derek Noel
04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
If you mean charring it and leaving it unfinished, I wouldn't do that or any wine that comes out of it will taste like charcoal. The barrels are charred to add complexity and tannins during long aging and are not overly strong because the relative surface area is small, not so with a goblet. A goblet would have high surface area and low volume. YMMV, but I wouldn't do it.
Maybe??? but i doubt it will add more flavor than raw wood. Also, wine spends a long time in the barrel and significantly less time in a glass. Well never know how it works until one of us gives it a try:)
unfortunately it will be a few weeks before my schedule affords me any shop time:(