PDA

View Full Version : #6 plane ID?

Charlie Buchanan
04-18-2010, 6:35 PM
Can anyone help me identify a #6 plane with no name or markings on the body (except "#6" in front of low knob)?

Looks an awful lot like Stanley type 8 but there are no "B" foundry marks and the lateral adjustment lever which is definitely the Stanley style has no markings at all. Tote is rounded rosewood like older Stanley models. The frog has a milled v-groove in front of the seat which I have not seen before as I recall--see photo.

The iron and chipbreaker are pitted --much worse shape than the body and frog. I'm guessing they may be from another plane. The iron is stamped HICKORY under a diamond shaped mark that spells out Kelley-How-Thompson Co---Duluth Minn. Is Hickory the manufacturer of the plane or iron only? I had not heard of them. Anyone point me to references?
Thanks for your help.

Jeff Burks
04-18-2010, 6:45 PM
They are written about in PTAMPIA (http://rogerksmith.com/books.html) Vol II. As far as I know it says:

"HICKORY" all plane types c1905-1920
(made by Sargent & Co)

Kelly-How-Thomson Co.
Duluth, Minn (1904-1955)

Kelly-How-Thompson was a Hardware Store (http://www.yhpb.org/VirtualTours/BillingsTour/Armor%20Cold%20Storage.html)...
They were selling paint in 1914 (http://books.google.com/books?id=rUbiAAAAMAAJ&lpg=PA380&ots=q7Nl5nMcXq&dq=Kelley-How-Thompson%20Co&pg=PA380#v=onepage&q=Kelley-How-Thompson%20Co&f=false).
Further listed as a hardware wholesaler - 1896-1947. Selling Tools marketed as "Hickory Brand"
Axes, pocket knives, planes, etc made by other companies for Kelly-How-Thompson.
They were headquartered in Duluth Minnesota with branch offices in St. Paul and Billings Montana.
Company sold to Marshall-Wells in November 1955.

Greg Wease
04-18-2010, 7:31 PM
Could be a Bailey Type 6 with the patent dates worn off the lateral lever. I have also seen patent dates on the bottom side of the lateral.

James Taglienti
04-18-2010, 8:16 PM
The type 6 body and frog are the most common of all the contracted planes. I think Stanley kept this casting alive for a long time, expressly for the "hardware store" brands. As they continued to make improvements on their own design, they still sold this "type 6" to many other firms. Many times the mouth will be milled a different size and the "B" marks will be absent.
This #6 in particular looks like a stanley, with the tabbed lateral and the rosewood tote, but the beauty of interchangeable parts is a double edged sword. Could it be a type 6 Stanley frog on a who knows what? Could it be a Marsh frog on a stanley plane? I have no idea.
For what it's worth, I'd just call it stanley.

Jim Koepke
04-18-2010, 8:35 PM
What threading is on the depth adjuster?

Anything stamped inside the depth adjuster or under the tote?

Late type 6 had a dot cast about where the grove on the frog would be. Is there a dot on the back of the lever cap? That would be about 1891-93.

jim

Charlie Buchanan
04-18-2010, 10:50 PM
"What threading is on the depth adjuster?" Left-hand

"Anything stamped inside the depth adjuster or under the tote?" Nothing inside the brass depth adj. Nothing under the tote.

"Late type 6 had a dot cast about where the grove on the frog would be. Is there a dot on the back of the lever cap? That would be about 1891-93." No dot or anything on back of lever cap.

Someone suggested stamping underneath lateral lever--no luck there either. It just hit me that the brass nuts on tote and knob bolts are newer style with indented waist so it may well be an older type made for the trade.

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.

Bob Warfield
04-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Charlie, That #6 looks really familar. Did you pick it up at an auction Sunday?
Thanks,
Bob Warfield