PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Patriot Pin Jaws

Ryan Baker
04-18-2010, 4:56 PM
I just got a set of the Sorby Patriot pin jaws that I have been trying out and I thought I would share it with the forum in case some of you are looking for the same thing I was.

I have never been a fan of the Nova pin jaws. Between the flex in the jaws (mostly due to the single screw mounting I expect) and the smooth inside jaws, they have been very problematic for me in actually holding parts in compression mode. I have had several cases where you could actually watch them squeeze the part right out the end like toothpaste out of the tube. (Note that Nova has a new pin jaw in the four jaw set with two screws that may be better interms of flexing. But that is only available in the set and still has the smooth jaws.)

I decided to try the Patriot version of the pin jaws (the Patriot jaws are all interchangeable with the Nova line), and so far I am really happy with them. They have internal dovetails, smooth sections, and some teeth deeper in the jaws to help grab onto long tenons. They also have the two screw mounting for strength.

Fit and finish seems a lot better than the Nova jaws. Usually I have to go over the edges of Nova jaws with a file to take off the burrs. That isn't required with the Sorby. They aren't numbered like Nova jaws. Put them in any order and they match up just fine. They come with a lot less goop to clean off too.

In my brief use so far, they grip dowels and small part tenons very securely. I have not noticed any flexing problem in the jaws and I haven't nad them let go of a part like the Novas. Compression grip range is approximately 1/2" to 1-1/2" or so, but the actual numbers are on the Sorby site.

I am very happy with them so far. I'm glad to finally find a set of jaws to hold small parts on my Nova chucks. For anybody looking for a small set of jaws for a Nova, I would recommend taking a look at the Sorby version. I'm sticking in a picture of them on a SN2 to show what the inside and outside of the jaws look like, since the web pictures don't show the inside well.

Baxter Smith
04-18-2010, 5:30 PM
Thanks for posting. I have been thinking about something like those to replace mine.

John Keeton
04-18-2010, 7:36 PM
Thanks, Ryan!! I have thought about getting the pin jaws, as well as a couple of sets of the soft jaws for specialized modification.

Bill Blasic
04-19-2010, 6:07 AM
Ryan,
I bought these jaws and they are the worst jaws that I have ever used. If you put in a piece of wood that is not square these jaws actually bend not to mention a catch that bent them 45° from vertical. I'm happy that you like them but it was a very bad investment for me.
Bill

Baxter Smith
04-19-2010, 8:16 AM
Ryan,
I bought these jaws and they are the worst jaws that I have ever used. If you put in a piece of wood that is not square these jaws actually bend not to mention a catch that bent them 45° from vertical. I'm happy that you like them but it was a very bad investment for me.
Bill
Thats not quite what I wanted to hear about one of my next orders!:eek:

John Keeton
04-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Thats not quite what I wanted to hear about one of my next orders!:eek:But, I sure am glad to hear it now, because it was going to be on my next order - but, not now!!!

Mike Minto
04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
So, which opinion are we going with here? Ryan says he likes the Sorby pin jaws, Bill does not - Bill was speaking of the Sorby, not the Nova, yes? Since he referenced the jaws but not by name this is what I'm assuming. I'm still interested in a set of the Sorby pin jaws - Ryan, give us more info on them as you use them, will you?

John Keeton
04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Mike, good question. In looking at Ryan's pic, it does seem that there is not much thickness to the jaws at the 90* angle, and they may be prone to bending. But, actual usage should dictate. Sounds like Bill's experience was not a good one, and hopefully Ryan will have a more positive outcome.

Matt Owen
04-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I have never been a fan of the Nova pin jaws. Between the flex in the jaws (mostly due to the single screw mounting I expect) and the smooth inside jaws, they have been very problematic for me in actually holding parts in compression mode. I have had several cases where you could actually watch them squeeze the part right out the end like toothpaste out of the tube. (Note that Nova has a new pin jaw in the four jaw set with two screws that may be better interms of flexing. But that is only available in the set and still has the smooth jaws.)

I'm a little surprised to hear the problems you've had with the Nova pin jaws. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and I think they're terrific. I've never had anything slip on me while using them in compression or expansion mode. Mine will flex a little if I really crank them while tightening, but that hasn't caused any problems. You may have gotten a bad set.

I have never tried the Patriot jaws, so I don't have anything to compare between the two sets. The Nova's work fine for me, so I doubt I ever will. Just my opinion.

Matt

Mike Minto
04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
forgot to mention i had a Nova set of pin jaws; sold them for the same 'deflection' reason; the two screws is what i find appealing about the Sorby set - although the price is pretty hefty!

Mike Peace
04-19-2010, 4:29 PM
I use the Nova 25mm bowl jaws in compression mode for lots of small spinde work like ornaments and finials. They still have only one screw but more "meat" to them than the pin jaws I think. They are a few bucks cheaper than the Nova pin jaws. I have been well satisfied with them.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-19-2010, 7:21 PM
Wouldn't the pin jaws be used for small stuff? I that case, I would imagine not having to put a tremendous amount of pressure on them, even in compression mode. Granted I've only used them one time, for a very small (and futile) attempt at a finial...... I can envision cranking down hard on the jaws and getting them to flex, but IMO that is a little excessive. And if you do get a catch, I'd think that the part would just blow up. DAMHIKT. No need to really crank down on the jaws.

Just my $0.02.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Ryan,
Bill

Bill my neighbor had the same problem with his. He sent them back and got some Vicmarc pin jaws like the ones I have. I have never had a problem with my Vic's. I almost bought those jaws (Sorby Patriot pin jaws) when the neighbor told me about his problems. Hope they work for others.

Bill Blasic
04-20-2010, 6:51 AM
I had looked at the Vicmarc pin jaws but they do not fit Nova Chucks as I gave away all my non Nova chucks. In January Nova came out with a new 4 jaw set made mainly for the Precision Midi or the G3 (They can be used on any Nova chuck). One of these sets included a set of pin jaws with two screws per jaw which work very well in compression mode solving my problem. I have used all three of the main chucks (Nova, Vicmarc, and Oneway) and have found all three to work very well and if you get any of the three I feel you have made a good choice.

Ryan Baker
04-20-2010, 8:16 PM
Gee Bill, I am surprised to hear that. Obviously I haven't had my set of Sorby jaws long enough to say anything for sure, but I can't imagine bending a jaw that much unless there was a metal defect in the first place. The Sorby jaws are as thick (heavy) at the base as the Nova ones. As I said, I haven't yet had any deflection of the jaws and noticed an immediate improvement over the Nova jaws. The Nova 25mm jaws shouldn't be much affected by the deflection issues because they don't have the jaw length.

Well, who knows. Time will tell I guess. I decided to take a shot and see how they work. Hopefully it won't prove to be a mistake. You do get to pay the "Sorby" price premium. So far I am happy. I have been using my Oneway jaws for small work, and they are fine -- but using a Stronghold for small work seems a bit backwards. I would expect the Vicmarc jaws to be good, but I don't have any chucks for Vic jaws.

Bill Blasic
04-21-2010, 6:51 AM
Ryan,
I use these type of jaws (pin) for turning finials and icicles in compression mode. I generally use the fastest speed on the lathe for this purpose and only have the tailstock engaged during the roughing to round portion. My problem started with a piece that was warped and it came apart partially and at that speed it just went bang and two of the four jaws were sticking out at 45° angles. I was able to bend them close to where they belonged by hand. If I take a piece that is rectangular (not completely square) and tighten you can see the two jaws that make contact bend outward until the other two make contact. It was just not what I expected these jaws to do. The new 2 screw jaws from Teknatool have been working great so the Sorby jaws were deep sixed. I am glad that you are not having a problem.
Bill

Ryan Baker
04-21-2010, 9:56 PM
That's pretty much what I use mine for as well. Next time I get a chance, I will try that test with the rectangular block and look for the flexing. And keep the face shield on ... :)

Maybe I will pick up a set of the new Nova 2 screw jaws one of these days. I just hate to buy the other three jaws since I have no use for them.

Bill Blasic
04-22-2010, 7:29 AM
Ryan,
Those other three jaw sets are just one more reason to buy three more chucks!:D:D:D
Bill
P.S. If your not having a problem with the jaws just enjoy them. Just because I had a problem does not mean that you will.